Communalism in Bengal: From Famine To Noakhali, 1943-47
This book explores the ascent and trajectory of communal ideology in pre-Partition Bengal-from the famine of 1943 to the Noakhali riots of 1946-47. The first major work to analyse communalism as an ideology located in a concrete historical plane, this book argues that the period after 1943 witnessed a clash between nationalism and communalism, where communal ideologies embarked on a new phase, determined to replace nationalism.
Among the distinguishing features of this important study are that it:
- Critically evaluates the historiography of communalism in India
- Relates the occurrence of the Bengal famine of 1943 to the agendas and activities of the major political parties of that region-the Muslim League, the Hindu Mahasabha, the Congress and the Communist Party of India
- Examines in detail the Calcutta riots of 1946 and the role of both the colonial authorities and the Premier of the province, H S Suhrawardy, in the violence
- Presents an entirely fresh perspective on the reasons behind the Noakhali riots with the help of an array of new sources, both primary and secondary
- Analyses Gandhi`s visit to Noakhali, presenting him as resolute and prepared to embark on an ideological fight against communalism.
What people are saying - Write a review
Review: Communalism in Bengal: From Famine to Noakhali, 1943-47 (Sage Series in Modern Indian History) (SAGE Series in Modern Indian History)User Review - Celeste - Goodreads
This book is full of badly supported propositions and shallow inadequate analysis. Read full review
The Sole Spokesman: Jinnah, the Muslim League and the Demand for Pakistan
Limited preview - 1994
Other editions - View all
Communalism in Bengal : From Famine to Noakhali, 1943-47/Rakesh ...
Communalism in Bengal : From Famine to Noakhali, 1943-47/Rakesh Batabyal. New Delhi, Sage, 2005, 429 p., $42. ISBN 81-7829-471-0. ...
The Daily Star Web Edition Vol. 5 Num 473
Communalism in Bengal: From Famine to Noakhali, 1943-47 (hb) by Rakesh Batabyal; Sage Publications: New Delhi/ Thousand Oaks/London; 2005; 429 pp.
thedailystar.net/ 2005/ 09/ 24/ d509242103127.htm
Development Journal of South Asian
http://sad.sagepub.com. Development. Journal of South Asian. DOI: 10.1177/097317410600200101. 2007; 2; 125. JOURNAL OF SOUTH ASIAN DEVELOPMENT
sad.sagepub.com/ cgi/ reprint/ 2/ 1/ 125.pdf
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z The 'Ulama of ...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z. The 'Ulama of Farangi mahall and Islamic culture in South Asia. * The 'Ulama of Farangi mahall and ...
nfch.nic.in/ htm/ Books.htm