Kashmir in Conflict: India, Pakistan and the Unending War
Why has the valley of Kashmir, famed for its beauty and tranquility, become a major flashpoint, threatening the stability of a region of great strategic importance to pose a nuclear threat for the entire world? This book examines the Kashmir conflict in its historical context, from the period when the valley was an independent kingdom right up to the struggles of the present day. Drawing upon research in India and Pakistan, as well as historical sources, this book traces the origins of the state in the 19th century, the controversial "sale" by the British of the predominantly Muslim valley to a Hindu Maharaja in 1846 and the 20th century clashes between Muslim and Hindu interests now culminating in the threat of a major war.
What people are saying - Write a review
Facts about Kashmir and its people. 1. They started movement against Maharajah of Kashmir in 1931 to be free.
2.. When India and Pakistan got independence form Britain in 1947.
3. Maharajah of Kashmir wanted to wanted to be independent and signed stand still agreement with Pakistan.
4. The majority of border area of Kashmir wanted to join Pakistan and their was rebellion and they almost took Kashmir.
5. Maharajah of Kashmir sort help from India and they provided conditional help with the proviso that after the rebellion is contained the people should be given chance to decide their future with out any fear, favor, and failure to decide their future whether to join India, Pakistan, and be Independent.
6. The India troops now over two million rather than preserve & protect their freedom[s], became brutal occupiers and oppressors.
7. It was India that brought Kashmir Peoples issue before United Nations Security Council and pleaded, promised, pledged, and committed for the right of self determination for the people of Kashmir [Plebiscite].
8. Their are several these resolutions pending before United nations Security Council.
9. In April 1952 the United Nations Security Council appointed our late Admiral Nimitz, as Plebiscite Administrator to the people of Kashmir their chance to decide their future without any fear, favor, and failure.
10. Mean while Pakistan joined SEATO and CENTO military alliance with USA and India backed out claiming that late, Honorable Admiral Nimitz will favor Pakistan.
11. India continued its brutal and tyrannical occupation of the people of Kashmir and each time people rose up and demanded their freedom and right of self determination they were brutally killed, maimed, imprisoned, caged, raped, jailed, and humiliated. Kashmir as a whole is a massive concentration camp on the top of world away from the eyes of concerned and just people of Kashmir.
12. Current movement is non violent and lead by young generation of the grand children who see no safety, security, and future with India and extremely resent the fact that they are labeled terrorists by India and killed, detained, maimed, put under curfews, and humiliated on daily basis.
13. There is a total and permanent alienation and anger against the repeated attempts to label their freedom movement as terrorist and foreign conspired.
14. They simply want the brutal Indian troops to leave and let the people of Kashmir decide their right of self determination without any fear, favor, and failure.
15. The the freedom movement in 1989, was lead by professionals such as Dr. Ashai, Dr. Guru, Lawyer Mian Qayum, Minority leader Mr. Vancho, and many more [ Over one hundred thousand people of Kashmir 99 % innocent were murdered and killed by Indian troops].
Summary: The people of Kashmir can not be denied their freedom for ever. There freedom can be delayed and their sacrifices and suffering will make them more extremist and more fatalistic, that is bad for Kashmir, India, Pakistan, and Indo-Kash-Pak Subcontinent. Monies will be wasted of keep people under brutal military occupation as well as bribing various people to show the world that every thing is OK and this movement of freedom is sponsored by foreign countries and extremist. [labels easily done]. This does not look good for India which claims to be biggest democracy in the world, But when it comes to Kashmir Peoples freedom issue, their claim falls very short. My concern is that India will not be given a Permanent Seat on United Nations Security Council as world powers will hold United Nations Security Council Resolutions against India membership.
My suggestion and solution to this complex Kashmir Peoples issue can be ameliorated and addressing by Erasing Line of Control [ LOC] and I call that as Line of Conflict [LOC]. Let Kashmir be designated as Common or Peace or Tourist, Zone or Region. People of Kashmir, India, Pakistan, China, and world should be able to enter Kashmir without any hindrance and focus should be tourism, travel, trade, and mutual
Why Leaders Choose War: The Psychology of Prevention
No preview available - 2006