Java pitfalls: time-saving solutions and workarounds to improve programs
A lifesaver for any Java programmer-proven workarounds and time-saving solutions Although using the Java language provides a substantial boost to a programmer's productivity, it still has its share of subtleties andweaknesses. This book is designed to save you time and frustration by carefully guiding you through this potential minefield. A team of Java experts, led by programming guru Michael Daconta, offers a collection of proven solutions to 50 difficult, real-world problems chosen from their own extensive experiences. You'll find workarounds for problems caused by shortcomings in both the Java language itself and in its APIs and utilities, including java.util, java.io, java.awt, and javax.swing. The authors also share techniques for improving the performance of your Java applications.
For easy reference, the book is organized into categories so that similar solutions are grouped together.
Examples of topics covered include:
* Language syntax, for example, using the String equals( ) method instead of the == operator (Item2)
* Language support, for example, method dispatching with reflection, interfaces, and anonymous classes (Item 16)
* Utilities and collections, like choosing between a PropertyFile and ResourceBundle (Item 20)
* Input/output, including subtleties in sending serialized objects over a network (Item 25)
* GUI presentation, for example, tackling the common pitfall of using repaint( ) instead of validate( ) for relaying out components (Item 29)
* Performance, including tips like lazy loading your way to better performance (Item 43)
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Java Is Strongly Typed
PART TWO LANGUAGE SUPPORT
26 other sections not shown
application args array ArrayList assertions boolean button byte cache CacheEntry callback catch clipboard clone Command pattern compile components constructor container copy Creating bookshelf DataFlavor debug deep copy default example field member frame garbage collector graphical user interface Graphics GridBagLayout handle Hashtable Imagelcon implementation import j ava.awt instance variable instantiate Integer interface Item Iterator Java java.lang.reflect JComboBox Jerry punched layout manager load look method monitor null Object pools operator output override palettes Panel performance pixels problem property file public class public static void public void reference repaint SearchWorker serialized SoftReference static void main static void main(String streams string literal StringBuffer StubEntry subclass super superclass SwingWorker synchronized system Clipboard TextField thread Transferable Unicode update validate Vector void main String weight width WiseMan Z-order