« PreviousContinue »
ed," being knit together in loυe, and unto " made partakers of Christ, if we
hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end, Ηeb. iii. 14. Αnd this is the record, that God hath given tous eternallife, andthis life is in hisSon. Ηe thathath the Son, hath life, and he that hath not the Son of God, hath not life, 1 John v. 11, 12. Αnd we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true: and we are in him that is
Τhis is the true God, and eternal life, 20. Ηe that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son, 2 John 8.
Βλέπετε μή τις υμάς έσται ο συλαγωγών διά της φιλοσοφίας και κενής απάτης, κατά την παράδοσιν των ανθρώπων, κατά τα στοιχεία του κόσμου, και ου κατά Χριστόν
* Βευαre lest any mαπ spoil you through philosophy and υαin deceit, " after the tradition of men, ε after the * rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
God, " uho hath raised him from the dead.
* Κnow ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death : Τherefore we are buried with him by baptism into death ; that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection, Rom. vi. 3-5 b See on Rom vi. ver. 3. • See on Rom. vi. ver. 4. ο See on John vi. ver. 65. clause 2. "See on Αcts ii. ver. 24. clause 1.
* Αnd I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed, it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel, Gen. iii. 15. Τhou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the LoRD God might dwell among them, Psal. Ιxviii. 18. ; Εph. iv. 8. Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered: Βut thus saith the LonD, Εven the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children, Isa. xlix. 24, 25, Τherefore will I divide him α portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he hath poured out his soul unto death : and he was numbered with the transgressors , and he bare the sin of πmany, and made intercession for the transgressors, liii. 12. Βut if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. Οr else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man: and then he will spoil. his house, Μatt. xii. 28, 29. Αnd he said unto them, Ibeheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. Βehold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you, Luke x, 18, 19, Νow is the judgment of this world : now shall the prince of this world be cast out, John xii. 31. Τhe prince of this world is judged, xvi. 11. Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of νflesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same, that
* See on Rom. xiv. ver. 3. clause 1. b See on Μatt. xv. ver. 11. clause 1. ο See on Rom. xiv. ver. 5. clause 1. "Αlso in the day of your gladness, and in your solemn days, and in the beginnings of your months, ye shall blow with the trumpets over your burnt offerings, and over the sacrifices of your peace offerings , that they may be to you for a memorial before your God : Ι am the LoRD your God, Ε x. 10. Απd she called unto her husband, and said, Send me, Ι pray thee, one of the young men, and one of the asses, that I may run to the man of God, and come again. Αnd he said, Wherefore wilt thou go to him to day 1 it is neither new moon, nor sabbath. Αnd she said, It shall be well, 2 Κings iv. 22, 23. Αnd to offer all burnt sacrifices unto the LoRD in the sabbaths, in the new moons, and on the set feasts, by number, according to the order commanded unto them, continually before the LoRD, 1 Chron. xxiii. 31. Βlow up the trumpet in the new moon, in the time appointed, on our solemn feast day. For this μαs a statute for Israel, αnd a law of the God of Jacob, Psal. Ιxxxi. 3, 4. Βut now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to bein bondage! Υe observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, Ιest I have Είναι upon you labour in vain, Gal. iv. 9-11. εSee on John v. ver. 10.
through death he might destroy him
to thee in the mount, Ηeb. viii. 5. Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience, iz. 9. . For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the Σίζ image of the things, can never With those sacrifices, which they of. fered year by year continually, make the comers thereunto perfect, x, 1. "See on Rom. x. ver. 4. clause 1.
* See on Rom. xii. ver. 5. clause 1.
5 See on John xvii.ver. 11. clause 6. | • Τhat ye might walk worthy of the Lord, unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God, Col. i. 10. From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body, unto the edifying of itself in love, Εph. iv. 16. We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other Είοι" 2 Τhess. i. 3. Βut grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Το him be glory both now and for ever. Αmen,2 Ρet.iii. 18.