« PreviousContinue »
are you come?
Pray, Sir, be patient.
w ugly didst thou in Cordelia show,
[Striking his head. And thy dear judgment out! Go, go, my people.
Alb. My lord, I am guiltless, as I am ignorant
so, my lord.
1. Mr. Upton observes, that the sea- 4. Derogate, degraded, blasted. monster is the hippopotamus, the hie- 5. And be a mischievous, unnatural roglyphical symbol of impiety and torment to her. Disnatured is not in ingratitude.
2. And in every respect maintain 6. Cadent tears, falling tears. most exactly the dignity of him whom 7. Turn all her maternal cares and they serve.
good offices. 3. By an engine is meant the instrument of torture called the rack.
To laughter and contempt; that she
[Exit. Albany. Now, gods that we adore, whereof comes this?
Goneril. Never afflict yourself to know the cause;
Lear. What! fifty of my followers, at a clap,
What 's the matter, Sir?
I am ashamed,
(Exeunt LEAR, KENT, and Attendants. Gon. Do you mark that, my lord ?
Alb. I cannot be so partial, Goneril, To the great love I bear you,
Gon. Pray you, content. What, Oswald, ho! You, Sir, more knave than fool, after your master.
[To the Fool. Fool. Nuncle Lear, nuncle Lear! tarry, and take the fool with thee.
1. Untented woundings, unsearchable
2. Fond ,
foolish. See note 2, wounds — wounds too deep to be probed. page 12.
A tent is a roll of lint put into 3. i. e. that you discharge.
A fox, when one has caught her,
(Exit. Goneril. This man hath had good counsel. A hundred
knights! ”T is politic, and safe, to let him keep At point? a hundred knights: yes, that on every dream, Each buz, each fancy, each complaint, dislike, He may enguard his dotage with their powers, And hold our lives in mercy.– Oswald, I say!
Albany. Well, you may fear too far.
Safer than trust too far.
What, have you writ that letter to my sister?
Oswald. Ay, Madam.
Gon. Take you some company, and away to horse:
Get you gone,
Alb. How far your eyes may pierce, I cannot tell:
Gom. Nay, then –
1. At point, completely armed, and 3. Still, continually, ever. See note consequently ready at appointment or 4, page 8. command on the slightest notice.
4. As may make a consistent account. 2. In mercy, at his pleasure,
5. To be at task, is to be liable to do what he likes with.
reprehension and correction.
Curan. Have you heard of no likely wars toward, " 'twixt the dukes of Cornwall and Albany?
Edmund Not a word.
I am sure on 't, not a word.
. Yield: --- come before my father;
Light, ho! here! Fly, brother; -- Torches torches! - So, farewell.
[Exit Edgar. Some blood drawn on me would beget opinion
[Wounds his arm.
Enter GLOSTER, and Servants with Torches.
1. Toward, near, at hand.
3. i. e. in favour of Cornwall, against 2. Queazy, delicate, requiring to be the duke of Albany. handled nicely: I have something to do 4. i. e. consider, recollect yourself. which requires the most delicate treat 5. Quit, for acquit. ment.
Mumbling of wicked charms, conjuring the moon
But where is he?
Where is the villain, Edmund ?
could Glos. Pursue him, ho! Go after. [Exit Serv.] By
no means what?
Let him fly far:
The noble duke my master,
Edm. When I dissuaded him from his intent,
1. Fell, savage, bloody.
5. i. e. And when he is found 2. To charge home, is to charge with to death with bim at once. full force; to thrust home, to thrust 6. Arch, chief; a word now only the sword through up to the hilt: the used in composition, as arch- angel, expression is often used figuratively. arch-duke.
3. This when is perhaps a misprint 7. Pight is the old preterit and part. for whêr, or whether.
pass. of to pitch: i. e. fixed, settled, 4. Gasted, frighted.
8. Curst, harsh, bitter.