Tui na: The Chinese Massage Manual is a comprehensive and well established handbook for students and practitioners of Tui na in the West.
The author describes the roots and development of Tui na, how it works therapeutically with the context of Chinse medicine, and how to become an effective Tui na practitioner.
The book contains detailed and clearly illustrated descriptions of Tui na techniques, how to practice them, their clinical applications and therapeutic effects. Foundation area routines are provided to support the development and fluidity of manual skills and to give an initial structure for building treatments.
The book has a unique approach to creating and planning Tui na treatments. Avoiding the prescriptive approach usually employed, the author discusses the principles of practice and enables the student practitioner to make choices and formulate treatments by bringing together their knowledge and skills. Frameworks are provided, and techniques, methods and approaches suggested for presenting patterns of disharmony within the treatment of common ailments.
The book features
- Over 120 photographs clearly illustrating the techniques
- THe application of the ancillary therapies of cupping, gua sha and moxibustion
- The application of external herbal media
- `Tips for Practice' easy reference to support the learning of techniques
- Case histories illustrating the treatment of common clinical ailments
- Treatment foundation area routines
- Yin and yang styles of practice
- Demonstration of how to combine Tui na and acupuncture in practice
- a related series of videos (available online) showing how to apply all the major techniques