« PreviousContinue »
She rose upon a wind of prophecy
Two in the tangled business of the world,
Two in the liberal offices of life,
Two plummets dropt for one to sound the abyss
Of science, and the secrets of the mind :
Musician, painter, sculptor, critic, more :
She ended here, and beckon'd us : the rest
Parted ; and, glowing full-faced welcome, she
• What do you here? and in this dress? and these ? Why who are these ? a wolf within the fold !
A pack of wolves ! the Lord be gracious to me!
• Wretched boy, How saw you not the inscription on the gate,
LET NO MAN ENTER IN ON PAIN OF DEATH?'
And if I had 'he answer'd · who could think
The softer Adams of
O sister, Sirens tho' they be, were such
will find it otherwise' she said.
• You jest : ill jesting with edge-tools ! my vow
And nail me like a weasel on a grange
For warning: bury me beside the gate,
And cut this epitaph above my
bones; Here lies a brother by a sister slain,
All for the common good of womankind.'
• Let me die too' said Cyril . having seen And heard the Lady Psyche.'
I struck in :
· Albeit so mask'd, Madam, I love the truth ;
Receive it ; and in me behold the Prince
Your countryman, affianced years ago
To the Lady Ida : here, for here she was,
And thus (what other way was left) I came.'
• O Sir, O Prince, I have no country ; none ; If any, this ; but none.
Whate'er I was Disrooted, what I am is grafted here.
Affianced, Sir ? love-whispers may not breathe
Within this vestal limit, and how should I,
Who am not mine, say, live : the thunderbolt Hangs silent ; but prepare : I speak ; it falls.' • Yet pause,' I said : "for that inscription there,
I think no more of deadly lurks therein,
To scare the fowl from fruit : if more there be,
If more and acted on, what follows ? war;
Your own work marr'd : for this
Whichever side be Victor, in the halloo
Will topple to the trumpet down, and pass
Of that'she said : •farewell Sir-and to you. I shudder at the sequel, but I go'
· Are you that Lady Psyche' I rejoin’d,
• The fifth in line from that old Florian,
Yet hangs his portrait in my father's hall
Sun-shaded in the heat of dusty fights)
Às he bestrode my Grandsire, when he fell,
And all else fled: we point to it, and we say,
The loyal warmth of Florian is not cold,
But branches current yet in kindred veins
Florian added · she
With whom I sang about the morning hills,
I would be that for ever which I seem
Woman, if I might sit beside your feet,
Then once more,
* Are you that Lady Psyche' I began,
• That on her bridal morn before she past
From all her old companions, when the king