« PreviousContinue »
7. But he said unto me, Behold, thou || Then Manoah knew that he was an angel shalt conceive, and bear a son; and now of the LORD. drink no wine nor strong drink, neither eat 22. And Manoah said unto his wife, We any unclean thing: for the child shall be a shall surely die, because we have seen God. Nazarite to God from the womb to the day | 23. But his wife said unto him, If the of his death.
LORD were pleased to kill us, he would not 8. Then Manoah entreated the Lord, have received a burnt-offering and a meatand said, O my LORD, let the man of God offering at our hands; neither would he have which thou didst send come again unto us, showed us all these things, nor would, as at and teach us what we shall do unto the child | this time, have told us such things as these. that shall be born.
24. And the woman bare a son, and call9. And God hearkened to the voice of ed his name Samson; and the child grew, Manoah; and the angel of God came again and the LORD blessed him. unto the woman as she sat in the field : but 25. And the Spirit of the Lord began Manoah her husband was not with her. to move him at times in the camp of Dan,
10. And the woman made haste, and between Zorah and Eshtaol. ran, and showed her, husband, and said
CHAP. XIV: unto him, Behold, the man hath appeared Samson desireth a wife of the Philistines. unto me, that came unto me the other day. 1. AND Samson went down to Timnath,
11. And Manoah arose, and went after | A and saw a woman in Timnath of his wife, and came to the man, and said the daughters of the Philistines. unto him, Art thou the man that spakest. 2. And he came up and told his father and unto the woman? And he said, I am. his mother, and said, I have seen a woman
12. And Manoah said, Now let thy in Timnath of the daughters of the Philiswords come to pass : how shall we order tines; now, therefore, get her for me to wise. the child ? and how shall we do unto him? 3. Then his father and his mother said
13. And the angel of the LORD said unto unto him, Is there never a woman among Manoah, Of all that I said unto the woman the daughters of thy brethren, or among all let her beware.
my people, that thou goest to take a wife 14. She may not eat of any thing that of the uncircumcised Philistines? And cometh of the vine, neither let her drink wine Samson said unto his father, Get her for or strong drink, nor eat any unclean thing: me; for she pleaseth me well. all that I commanded her let her observe. 4. But his father and his mother knew not
15. And Manoah said unto the angel of that it was of the Lord that he sought an the LORD, I pray thee, let us detain thee occasion against the Philistines: for at that until we shall have made ready a kid for thee. time the Philistines had dominion over Israel.
16. And the angel of the LORD said unto 5. Then went Samson down, and his Manoah, Though thou detain me, I will || father and his mother, to Timnath, and not eat of thy bread; and if thou wilt offer li came to the vineyards of Timnath: and, a burnt-offering, thou must offer it unto the behold, a young lion roared against him. LORD: for Manoah knew not that he was 6. And the Spirit of the LORD came an angel of the LORD.
mightily upon him, and he rent him as he 17. And Manoah said unto the angel of would have rent a kid, and he had nothing the LORD, What is thy name, that, when in his hand: but he told not his father or his thy sayings come to pass, we may do thee mother what he had done. honour ?
17. And he went down, and talked with 18. And the angel of the LORD said unto the woman; and she pleased Samson well. him, Why askest thou thus after my name, 8. And after a time he returned to take seeing it is secret ?
her, and he turned aside to see the carcass of 19. So Manoah took a kid, with a meat- the lion; and, behold, there was a swarm of offering, and offered it upon a rock unto bees and honey in the carcass of the lion. the LORD: and the angel did wondrously; 9. And he took thereof in his hands, and and Manoah and his wife looked on. went on eating, and came to his father and
20. For it came to pass, when the flame mother, and he gave them, and they did eat: went up toward heaven from off the altar, that but he told not them that he had taken the the angel of the LORD ascended in the flame honey out of the carcass of the lion. of the altar: and Manoah and his wife looked 10. So his father went down unto the on it, and fell on their faces to the ground. woman: and Samson made there a feast;
21. (But the Angel of the LORD did no for so used the young men to do. more appear to Manoah and to his wife.) || 11. And it came to pass, when they saw
him, that they brought thirty companions to younger sister fairer than she ? take her, 1 be with him.
pray thee, instead of her. . 12. And Samson said unto them, I will now 1. 3. And Samson said concerning them, put forth a riddle unto you: if you can cer- Now shall I be more blameless than the tainly declare it me within the seven days of Philistines, though I do them a displeasure. the feast, and find it out, then I will give you | 4. And Samson went and caught three thirty sheets, and thirty change of garments: hundred foxes, and took firebrands, and
13. But if ye cannot declare it me, then turned tail to tail, and put a firebrand in the shall ye give me thirty sheets, and thirty midst between two tails. change of garments. And they said unto 5. And when he had set the brands on him, Put forth thy riddle, that we may hear it. fire, he let them go into the standing corn
14. And he said unto them, Out of the of the Philistines, and burnt up both the eater came forth meat, and out of the strong shocks and also the standing corn, with the came forth sweetness. And they could not vineyards and olives. in three days expound the riddle.
6. Then the Philistines said, Who hath 15. And it came to pass on the seventh || done this? And they answered, Samson, day, that they said unto Samson's wife, the son-in-law of the Timnite, because he Entice thy husband, that he may declare had taken his wise, and given her to his unto us the riddle, lest we burn thee and l companion. And the Philistines came up, thy father's house with fire: have ye called and burnt her and her father with fire. us to take that we have ? is it not so? 17. And Samson said unto them, Though
16. And Samson's wife wept before him, ye have done this, yet will I be avenged of and said, Thou dost but hate me, and lovest you, and after that I will cease. me not: thou hast put forth a riddle unto | 8. And he smote them hip and thigh with the children of my people, and hast not told a great slaughter; and he went down and it me. And he said unto her, Behold, I dwelt in the top of the rock Etam. have not told it my father nor my mother, 9. Then the Philistines went up, and pitchand shall I tell it thee?
ed in Judah, and spread themselves in Lehi. 17. And she wept before him the seven | 10. And the men of Judah said, Why days, while their feast lasted: and it came are ye come up against us? And they anto pass on the seventh day that he told her, swered, To bind Samson are we come up, because she lay sore upon him; and she to do to him as he hath done to us. told the riddle to the children of her people. | 11. Then three thousand men of Judah
18. And the men of the city said unto went to the top of the rock Etam, and said him on the seventh day, before the sun went to Samson, Knowest thou not that the down, What is sweeter than honey ? and Philistines are rulers over us? What is what is stronger than a lion ? And he said this that thou hast done unto us? And he unto them, If ye had not ploughed with my said unto them, As they did unto me, so heifer, ye had not found out my riddle. have I done unto them.
19. And the Spirit of the LORD came 12. And they said unto him, We are upon him, and he went down to Ashkelon, come down to bind thee, that we may and slew thirty men of theni, and took their deliver thee into the hand of the Philistines. spoil, and gave change of garments unto And Samson said unto them, Swear unto them which expounded the riddle: and his | me, that ye will not fall upon me yourselves. anger was kindled, and he went up to his. 13. And they spake unto him, saying, No; father's house.
but we will bind thee fast, and deliver thee 20. But Samson's wife was given to his into their hand: but surely we will not kill companion, whom he had used as his friend. thee. And they bound him with two new CHAP. XV.
cords, and brought him up from the rock. Samson burneth the Philistines' corn with foxes and fire- 14. And when he came unto Lehi, the brands.
| Philistines shouted against him: and the 1. DUT it came to pass within a while | Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon
D after, in the time of wheat-barvest, | him; and the cords that were upon his arms that Samson visited his wife with a kid ; || became as flax that was burnt with fire, and he said, I will go in to my wife into the and his bands loosed from off his hands. chaniber: but her father would not suffer | 15. And he found a new jaw-bone of an him to go in.
ass, and put forth his hand and took it, and 2. And her father said, I verily thought slew a thousand men therewith. that thou hadst utterly hated her; therefore 16. And Samson said, With the jaw. I gave her to thy companion: is not her | bone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men. || of tow is broken when it toucheth the fire:
17. And it came to pass, when he had so his strength was not known. made an end of speaking, that he cast away 10. And Delilah said unto Samson, Be. the jaw-bone out of his hand, and called hold, thou hast mocked me, and told me that place Ramath-lehi.
lies: now tell me, I pray thee, wherewith 18. And he was sore athirst, and called thou mightest be bound. on the LORD, and said, Thou hast given | 11. And he said unto her, If they bind me this great deliverance into the hand of thy fast with new ropes that never were occupied, servant: and now shall I die for thirst, and then shall I be weak, and be as another man. fall into the hand of the uncircumcised ? 12. Delilah therefore took new ropes, and
19. But God clave a hollow place that bound him therewith, and said unto him, 'The was in the jaw, and there came water there- | Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And there out; and when he had drunk, his spirit came wereliers in wait abiding in the chamber. And again, and he revived: wherefore he called he brake them from off his arms like a thread. the name thereof En-hakkore, which is in 13. And Delilah said unto Samson, HitherLebi unto this day.
to thou hast mocked me, and told me lies: 20. And he judged Israel, in the days of tell me wherewith thou mightest be bound. the Philistines, twenty years.
And he said unto her, If thou weavest the
seven locks of my head with the web. CHAP. XVI.
14. And she fastened it with the pin, Samson escapelh, and carrieth away the gates of Gaza. land said unto him, The Philistines be upon 1. THEN went Samson to Gaza,and saw thee, Samson. And he awaked out of his
I there a harlot, and went in unto her. sleep, and went away with the pin of the 2. And it was told the Gazites, saying, beam, and with the web. Samson is come hither. And they com- 15. And she said unto him, How canst passed him in, and laid wait for him all thou say, I love thee, when thine heart is night in the gate of the city, and were quiet not with me? thou hast mocked me these all the night, saying, In the morning, when three times, and hast not told me wherein it is day, we shall kill him.
thy great strength lieth. 3. And Samson lay till midnight, and 16. And it came to pass, when she pressarose at midnight, and took the doors of ed him daily with her words, and urged him, the gate of the city, and the two posts, and so that bis soul was vexed unto death, went away with them, bar and all, and put 17. That he told her all his heart, and said them upon his shoulders, and carried them unto her, There hath not come a razor upon up to the top of a hill that is before Hebron. mine head; for I have been a Nazarite unto
4. And it came to pass afterward, that God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, he loved a woman in the valley of Sorek, then my strength will go from me, and I shall whose name was Delilah.
become weak, and be like any other man. 5. And the lords of the Philistines came 18. And when Delilah saw that he had up unto her, and said unto her, Entice him, told her all his heart, she sent and called for and see wherein his great strength lieth, and the lords of the Philistines, saying, Come up by what means we may prevail against him, this once; for he hath showed me all his heart. that we may bind him to afflict him; and Then the lords of the Philistines came up we will give thee, every one of us, cleven unto her, and brought money in their hand. hundred pieces of silver.
19. And she made him sleep upon her . 6. And Delilah said to Samson, Tell me, knees; and she called for a man, and she I pray thee, wherein thy gieat strength lieth, caused bim to shave off the seven Jocks of and wherewith thou mightest be bound to his head; and she began to afflict him, and afflict thee.
his strength went from him. ,. 7. And Samson said unto her, If they 20. And she said, The Philistines be upon bind me with seven green withs that were thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his never dried, then shall I be weak, and be as sleep, and said, I will go out, as at other another man.
times before, and shake myself. And he wist 8. Then the lords of the Philistines brought not that the LORD was departed froin him. up to her seven green withs which had not 21. But the Philistines took him, and put been dried, and she bound him with them. out his eyes, and brought him down to
9. Now there were men lying in wait, Gaza, and bound him with fetters of brass ; abiding with her in the chamber. And she and he did grind in the prison-house. said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, l 22. Howbeit the hair of his head began Samson. And he brake the withs as a thread to grow again after he was shayen.
23. Then the lords of the Philistines ga- || to make a graven image and a molten image; thered them together for to offer a great now, therefore, I will restore it unto thee. sacrifice unto Dagon their god, and to re-! 4. Yet he restored the money unto his joice: for they said, Our god hath delivered mother; and his mother took two hundred Samson our enemy into our hand.
shekels of silver, and gave them to the 24. And when the people saw him, they founder, who made thereof a graven image praised their god; for they said, Our god and a molten image: and they were in the hath delivered into our hands our enemy, || house of Micah. and the destroyer of our country, which 5. And the man Micah had a house of slew many of us.
gods, and made an ephod, and teraphim, 25. And it came to pass, when their and consecrated one of his sons, who behearts were merry, that they said, Call for came his priest. Samson, that he may make us sport. And 6. In those days there was no king in they called for Samson out of the prison- Israel, but every man did that which was house; and he made them sport: and they right in his own eyes. set him between the pillars.
L 7. And there was a young man out of 26. And Samson said unto the lad that Beth-lehem-judah, of the family of Judah, held him by the hand, Suffer me that I who was a Levite, and he sojourned there. may feel the pillars whereupon the house 8. And the man departed out of the city from standeth, that I may lean upon them. Beth-lehem-judah, to sojourn where he could
27. Now the house was full of men and find a place; and he came to mount Ephraim, women; and all the lords of the Philistines to the house of Micah, as he journeyed. were there: and there were upon the roof 9. And Micah said unto him, Whence about three thousand men and women, that comest thou? And he said unto him, I am bebeld while Samson made sport.
a Levite of Beth-lehem-judah, and I go to 28. And Samson called unto the Lord, sojourn where I may find a place. and said, O Lord God, remember me, I 10. And Micah said unto him, Dwell pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, with me, and be unto me a father and a only this once, O God, that I may be at once priest, and I will give thee ten shekels of avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes. silver by the year, and a suit of apparel, and
29. And Samson took hold of the two mid- | thy victuals. So the Levite went in. dle pillars upon which the house stood, and 11. And the Levite was content to dwell on which it was borne up, of the one with with the man; and the young man was unhis right hand, and of the other with his left. to him as one of his sons.
30. And Samson said, Let me die with the 12. And Micah consecrated the Levite; Philistines. And he bowed himself with all and the young man became his priest, and his might ; and the house fell upon the lords, was in the house of Micab. and upon all the people that were therein: so 13. Then said Micah, Now know I that the dead which he slew at his death, were the LORD will do me good, seeing I have a more than they which he slew in his life. Levite to my priest. 31. Then his brethren, and all the house
CHAP. XVIII. of his father, came down, and took him, and | The Danites send five men to seek out an inheritance. brought him up, and buried him between 1. TN those days there was no king in Israel: Zorah and Eshtaol, in the burying-place of land in those days the tribe of the DaManoah his father. And he judged Israel nites sought them an inheritance to dwell in; twenty years.
for unto that day all their inheritance had not CHAP. XVII.
| fallen unto them among the tribes of Israel. Micah hireth a Levite to be his priest.
2. And the children of Dan sent of their 1. AND there was a man of mount family five men from their coasts, men of
M Ephraim, whose name was Micah. valour, from Zorah, and from Eshtaol, to
2. And he said unto his mother, The eleven spy out the land, and to search it; and they hundred shekels of silver that were taken said unto them, Go, search the land: who, from thee, about which thou cursedst, and when they came to mount Ephraim, to the spakest of also in mine ears, behold, the sil- house of Micah, they lodged there. ver is with me; I took it. And his mother 3. When they were by the house of Misaid, Blessed be thou of the Lord, my son. cah, they knew the voice of the young man
3. And when he had restored the eleven the Levite; and they turned in thither, and hundred shekels of silver to his mother, his said unto him, Who brought thee hither? mother said, I had wholly dedicated the sil- and what makest thou in this place? and ver unto the LORD, from my hand, for my son, ll what hast thou here?
4. And he said unto them, Thus and thus | .18. And these went into Micah's house, dealeth Micah with me, and hath hired me, and fetched the carved image, the ephod, and and I am his priest.
the terapbim, and the molten image. Then 5. And they said unto him, Ask counsel, we said the priest unto them, What do ye ? pray thee, of God, that we may know whether | 19. And they said unto him, Hold thy our way which we go shall be prosperous. peace, lay thine hand upon thy mouth, and
6. And the priest said unto them, Go in go with us, and be to us a father and a peace: before the LORD is your way where- priest: is it better for thee to be a priest in ye go.
unto the house of one man, or that thou be 1. Then the five men departed, and came a priest unto a tribe and a family in Israel ? to Laish, and saw the people that were ! 20. And the priest's heart was glad; and therein, how they dwelt careless after the he took the ephod, and the teraphim, and manner of the Zidonians, quiet and secure; the graven image, and went in the midst and there was no magistrate in the land, that of the people. might put them to shame in any thing: and 21. So they turned and departed, and they were far from the Zidonians, and had || put the little ones, and the cattle, and the no business with any man.
carriage, before them. 8. And they came unto their brethren to 22. And when they were a good way from Zorah and Eshtaol : and their brethren said the house of Micah, ihe men that were in the unto them, What say ye?
houses near to Micab's house'were gathered 9. And they said, Arise, that we may go together, and overtook the children of Dan. up against them: for we have seen the L 23. And they cried unto the children of land, and, behold, it is very good: and are Dan: and they turned their faces, and said ve still I be not slothful to go, and to enter | unto Micah, What aileth thee, that thou to possess the land.
comest with such a company? 10. When yego, ye shall come unto a peo- 24. And he said, Ye have taken away my ple secure, and to a large land: for God hath | gods which I made, and the priest, and ye are given it into your hands; a place where there gone away: and what have I more? and what is no want of any thing that is in the earth. I is this that ye say unto me, What aileth thee?
11. And there went from thence of the 25. And the children of Dan said unto family of the Danites, out of Zorah and out him, Let not thy voice be heard among us, of Eshtaol, six hundred men appointed with lest angry fellows run upon thee, and thou weapons of war.
| lose thy life, with the lives of thy household. 12. And they went up, and pitched in 26. And the children of Dan went their Kirjath-jearim, in Judah: wherefore they way: and when Micah saw that they were called that place Mahaneh-dan, unto this too strong for him, he turned, and went day: behold, it is behind Kirjath-jearim. back unto his house.
13. And they passed thence unto mount 27. And they took the things which MiEphraim, and came unto the house of Micah. cah had made, and the priest which he bad,
14. Then answered the five men that and came unto Laish, unto a people that went to spy out the country of Laish, and were at quiet and secure: and they smote said unto their brethren, Do ye know that them with the edge of the sword, and burnt there is in these houses an ephod, and tera- | the city with fire. phim, and a graven image, and a molten 28. And there was no deliverer, because image! now, therefore, consider what ye it was far from Zidon, and they had no have to do.
business with any man; and it was in the 15. And they turned thitherward, and came valley that lieth by Beth-rehob. And they to the house of the young man the Levite, even built a city, and dwelt therein. unto the house of Micah, and saluted him. 29. And they called the name of the city
16. And the six hundred men appointed Dan, after the name of Dan their father, with their weapons of war, which were of who was born unto Israel : howbeit, the, the children of Dan, stood by the entering name of the city was Laish at the first. of the gate.
30. And the children of Dan set up the 17. And the five men that went to spy graven image: and Jonathan the son of out the land went up, and came in thither, Gershom, the son of Manasseh, he and his and took the graven image, and the ephod, sons were priests to the tribe of Dan until and the teraphim, and the molten image: the day of the captivity of the land. and the priest stood in the entering of the 31. And they set them up Micah's graven gate with the six hundred men that were image, which he made, all the time that the appointed with weapons of war.
|| house of God was in Shiloh.