« PreviousContinue »
17. He will take the tenth of your sheep: 1 9. (Beforetime in Israel, when a man went and ye shall be his servants.
to inquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and 18. And ye shall cry out in that day, because let us go to the seer: for he that is now called of your king which ye shall have chosen you; a Prophet, was beforetime called a Seer.) and the LORD will not hear you in that day. 10. Then said Saul to his servant, Well
19. Nevertheless, the people refused to said ; come, let us go. So they went unto obey the voice of Samuel: and they said, the city where the man of God was. Nay; but we will have a king over us; 11. And as they went up the hill to the city,
20. That we also may be like all the na- they found young maidens going out to draw tions; and that our king may judge us, and water, and said unto them, Is the seer here? go out before us, and fight our battles. 12. And they answered them, and said, He
21. And Samuel heard all the words of is; behold, he is before you: make haste now, the people, and he rehearsed them in the for he came to-day to the city; for there is a ears of the LORD.
sacrifice of the people to-day in the high place: 22. And the LORD said to Samuel, Heark- 13. As soon as ye be come into the city en unto their voice, and make them a king. ye shall straightway find him, before he go And Samuel said unto the men of Israel, up to the high place to eat: for the people Go ye every man unto his city.
will not eat until he come, because he doth CHAP. IX.
| bless the sacrifice; and afterwards they eat 19 Samuel entertaineth Saul at the feast. 25 Samuel, after that be bidden. Now therefore get you up;
secret communication, bringeih Saul on his way. for about this time ye shall find him. 1. NOW there was a man of Benjamin, 14. And they went up into the city; and
W whose name was Kish, the son of || when they were come into the city, behold, Abiel, the son of Zeror, the son of Becho- Samuel came out against them, for to go up rath, the son of Aphiah, a Benjamite, a to the high place. mighty man of power.
15. Now the Lord had told Samuel in 2. And he had a son whose name was Saul, his ear a day before Saul came, saying, a choice young man, and a goodly; and there 16. To-morrow, about this time, I will was not among the children of Israel a good send thee a man out of the land of Benjalier person than he: from his shoulders and min; and thou shalt anoint him to be captain upward he was higher than any of the people. over my people Israel, that he may save my
3. And the asses of Kish, Saul's father, people out of the hand of the Philistines : were lost: and Kish said to Saul his son, for I have looked upon my people, because Take now one of the servants with thee, their cry is cume unto me. and arise, go seek the asses.
17. And when Samuel saw Saul, the LORD 4. And he passed through mount Ephraim, said unto him, Behold the man whom I spake and passed through the land of Shalisha, but to theeof: this same shall reign over my people. they found them not: then they passed | 18. Then Sau) drew near to Samuel in through the land of Shalim, and there they the gate, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, were not; and he passed through the land where the seer's house is. of the Benjamites, but they found them not. 19. And Samuel answered Saul, and said,
5. And when they were come to the I am the seer: go up before me unto the high land of Zuph, Saul said to his servant that place ; for ye shall eat with me to-day; and was with him, Come, and let us return; lest to-morrow I will let thee go, and will tell my father leave caring for the asses, and thee all that is in thine heart. take thought for us.
20. And as for thine asses that were lost 6. And he said unto him, Behold now, there three days ago, set not thy mind on them; is in this city a man of God, and he is an ho- | for they are found. And on whom is all the nourable man; all that he saith cometh surely desire of Israel ; is it not on thee, and on all to pass : now, let us go thither; peradventure thy father's house? he can show us our way that we should go. 21. And Saul answered and said, Am not
7. Then said Saul to his servant, But I a Benjamite, of the smallest of the tribes behold, if we go, what shall we bring the of Israel ? and my family the least of all the man? for the bread is spent in our vessels, families of the tribe of Benjamin? whereand there is not a present to bring to the fore then speakest thou so to me? man of God: what have we?
22. And Samuel took Saul and his ser8. And the servant answered Saul again, vant, and brought them into the parlour, and said, Behold, I have here at hand the and made them sit in the chiesest place fourth part of a shekel of silver; that will I among them that were bidden, which were give to the man of God, to tell us our way. || about thirty persons.
to Mizpeh, | but turned ted judgment.
the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among ||
CHAP. VIII. you, and prepare your hearts unto the LORD, || By occasion of the ill government of Samuel's sons, the and serve him only; and he will deliver you
Israelites ask a king. out of the hand of the Philistines.
1. AND it came to pass, when Samuel 4. Then the children of Israel did put A was old, that he made his sons away Baalim and Ashtaroth, and served | judges over Israel. the LORD only.
| 2. Now the name of his first-born was . 5. And Samuel said, Gather all Israel to Joel, and the name of his second Abiah: Mizpeh, and I will pray for you unto the they were judges in Beer-sheba. LORD.
3. And his sons walked not in his ways, 6. And they gathered together to Mizpeh, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and drew water, and poured it out before the and perverted judgment. LORD, and fasted on that day, and said there, 4. Then all the elders of Israel gathered We have sinned against the LORD. And Sa-themselves together, and came to Samuel muel judged the children of Israel in Mizpeh. unto Ramah,
7. And when the Philistines heard that 5. And said unto him, Behold, thou art the children of Israel were gathered together old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways : now to Mizpeh, the lords of the Philistines went make us a king to judge us like all the nations. up against Israel. And when the children 6. But the thing displeased Samuel, when of Israel heard it, they were afraid of the they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Philistines.
Samuel prayed unto the LORD. 8. And the children of Israel said to Sa | 7. And the LORD said unto Samuel, muel, Cease not to cry unto the LORD our Hearken unto the voice of the people in God for us, that he will save us out of the all that they say unto thee: for they have hand of the Philistines.
not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, 9. And Samuel took a sucking lamb, and that I should not reign over them. offered it for a burnt-offering (wholly unto 8. According to all the works which they the LORD:and Samuel cried unto the Lord have done, since the day that I brought for Israel; and the Lord heard him
them up out of Egypt even unto this day, · 10. And as Samuel was offering up the wherewith they have forsaken me, and servburnt-offering, the Philistines drew near to ed other gods, so do they also unto thee. battle against Israel : but the LORD thun- 9. Now, therefore, hearken unto their dered with a great thunder on that day voice: howbeit yet protest solemnly unto upon the Philistines, and discomfited them; || them, and show them the manner of the and they were smitten before Israel. king that shall reign over them.
11. And the men of Israel went out of 10. And Samuel told all the words of the Mizpeh, and pursued the Philistines, and LORD unto the people that asked of him a king, smote them, until they came under Beth-car. | 11. And he said, This will be the manne
12. Then Samuel took a stone, and set of the king that shall reign over you; it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called | will take your sons, and appoint them the name of it Eben-ezer, saying, Hitherto I himself, for his chariots, and to be his i hath the LORD helped us.
men ; and some shall run before his ci. 13. So the Philistines were subdued, and 12. And he will appoint bim they came no more into the coast of Israel, over thousands, and captains over and the hand of the Lord was against the and will set them to ear his ground Philistines all the days of Samuel.
reap his harvest, and to make his ins 14. And the cities which the Philistines of war, and instruments of his had taken from Israel were restored to Is- 13. And he will take your • rael, from Ekron even unto Gath; and the be confectionaries, and to br coasts thereof did Israel deliver out of the bakers. hands of the Philistines. And there was 14. And he will tal peace between Israel and the Amorites. vineyards, and yo
15. And Samuel judged Israel all the of them, and a days of his life.
15. And 16. And he went from year to year seed, and circuit to Beth-el, and Gilgal, and N and judged Israel in all those pla
17. And his return was to Ran was his house: and there he and there he built an altar
amon the Phil Sreat ;, but the
17. He will take the tentheon
red them in Beand ye shall be his servant
were three hun18. And yeshall cry out that
en of Judah thirty of your king which ye shall be and the LORD will not her
to the messengers 19. Nevertheless, the
say unto the men obey the voice of Samuel
Vrow, by that time Nay; but we will have a
have help. And 20. That we also mas
showed it to the tions; and that our king me
were glad. go out before us, and fight
1 of Jabesh said, 21. And Samuel heard als
me out unto you, the people, and he rebez
is all that seemeth ears of the LORD. 22. And the LORD said in Sam
m the morrow, that en unto their voice, and ma
in three companies ; And Samuel said unto the
e midst of the host Go ye every man unto E
and slew the AmCHAP. L
of the day: and it
Key which remained 19 Samuel entertaineth Saules secret communication, bring
at two of them were 1. NOW there was a mano whose name a s
Ne said unto Samuel, Abiel, the son of Zero,
Shall Saul reign over rath, the son of Aphia.
What we may put them mighty man of power. 2. And he had a son wem
There shall not a man a choice young man, anda
his day: for to-day the was not among the childres
Il salvation in Israel. lier person than he: from
Samuel to the people, upward he was higher titam
go to Gilgal, and renew 3. And the asses of the were lost: and Kisha
e people went to Gilgal; Take now one of the
made Saul king before the and arise, go seek the
and there they sacrificed 4. And he passed thro
ce-offerings before the LORD; and passed through the
ul and all the men of Israel they found them not: through the land of 5
muel testifieth his integrity. were not; and be pas of the Benjamites, but
Samuel said unto all Israel, Be5. And when they
d, I have hearkened unto your land of Zuph, Saul sam
that ye said unto me, and have was with him, Come
king over you. m y father leave con
und now, behold, the king walketh ta ke thought for a
you: and I am old and gray-headed ; 6. And he said un
11, behold, my sons are with you; and I is in this city a man
Juve walked before you from my childhood nourable man; allt
unto this day. to pass : now, letas
3. Behold, here I am: witness against he can show us
er me before the LORD, and before his anoint
ed; whose ox have I taken? or whose ass 7 Then sars
it, and have I taken? or whom have I defrauded ? -nt them whom have I oppressed? or of whose hand rael by the have I received any bribe to blind mine eyes
Whosoever therewith ? and I will restore it you. A d tojis fiu saul and after 4. And they said, Thou hast not defraudDe a oxenxo a oxe unto his oxen.|ed us, nor oppressed us, neither hast thou po povoa odbo po oa oqpo poroll on the peo- taken aught of any man's hand.
oxcəxo 9 OxbiəxO 9 OXGIƏXO consent. 5. And he said unto them, The LORD is q spoje pyroje pyroje p d aftefis hd aftesis bd aftefis F
. 23. And Samuel said unto the cook, come unto thee, that thou do as occasion Bring the portion which I gave thee, of serve thee; for God is with thee. which I said unto thee, Set it by thee. 8. And thou shalt go down before me
24. And the cook took up the shoulder, to Gilgal; and, behold, I will come down and that which was upon it, and set it unto thee, to offer burnt-offerings, and to before Saul. And Samuel said, Behold sacrifice sacrifices of peace-offerings : seven that which is left ! set it before thee, and days shalt thou tarry, till I come to thee, eat; for unto this time hath it been kept for and show thee what thou shalt do. thee, since I said, I have invited the people. 9. And it was so, that when he had turnSo Saul did eat with Samuel that day. ed his back to go from Samuel, God gave
25. And when they were come down from him another heart: and all those signs came the high place into the city, Samuel com- to pass that day. muned with Saul upon the top of the house. | 10. And when they came thither to the
26. And they arose early: and it came hill, behold, a company of prophets met to pass, about the spring of the day, that him; and the Spirit of God came upon him, Samuel called Saul to the top of the house, and he prophesied among them. saying, Up, that I may send thee away. 11. And it came to pass, when all that And Saul arose, and they went out both knew him beforetime saw that, behold, he of them, he and Samuel, abroad.
prophesied among the prophets, then the 27. And as they were going down to the people said one to another, What is this end of the city, Samuel said to Saul, Bid the that is come unto the son of Kish? Is Saul servant pass on before us, (and he passed also among the prophets? on,) but stand thou still a while, that I may 12. And one of the same place answered, show thee the word of God.
and said, But who is their father? ThereCHAP. X.
fore it became a' proverb, Is Saul also among 1 Samuel anointeth Saul : 2 He confirmeth him by prediction. | the prophets? 1. THEN Samuel took a vial of oil, and 13. And when he had made an end of
1 poured it upon his head, and kissed prophesying, he came to the high place. him, and said, Is it not because the LORD 14. And Saul's uncle said unto him and hath anointed thee to be captain over his to his servant, Whither went ye? And he inheritance?
i said, To seek the asses: and when we saw 2. When thou art departed from me that they were no where, we came to Samuel. to-day, then thou shalt find two men by 15. And Saul's uncle said, Tell me, I Rachel's sepulchre, in the border of Ben- pray thee, what Samuel said unto you. jamin, at Zelzah; and they will say unto 16. And Saul said unto his uncle, He thee, The asses which thou wentest to seek told us plainly that the asses were found. are found : and, lo, thy father hath left the But of the matter of the kingdom, whereof care of the asses, and sorroweth for you, Samuel spake, he told him not. saying, What shall I do for ny son?
17. | And Samuel called the people to3. Then shalt thou go on forward from gether unto the Lord to Mizpeh; thence, and thou shalt come to the plain of 18. And said unto the children of Israel, Tabor, and there shall meet thee three men Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I going up to God to Beth-el, one carrying three brought up Israel out of Egypt, and delikids, and another carrying three loaves of vered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, bread, and another carrying a bottle of wine: and out of the hand of all kingdoms, and of
4. And they will salute thee, and give them that oppressed you: thee two loaves of bread, which thou shalt 19. And ye have this day rejected your receive of their hands.
God, who himself saved you out of all your ad5. After that thou shalt come to the hill of versities and your tribulations; and ye have God, where is the garrison of the Philistines: said unto him, Nay, but set a king over us. and it shall come to pass, when thou art Now therefore present yourselves before the come thither to the city, that thou shalt LORD by your tribes, and by your thousands. meet a company of prophets coming down 20. And when Samuel had caused all from the high place, with a psaltery, and a the tribes of Israel to come near, the tribe tabret, and a pipe, and a harp, before them; of Benjamin was taken. and they shall prophesy :
21. When he had caused the tribe of 6. And the Spirit of the LORD will come Benjamin to come near by their families, upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with the family of Matri was taken, and Saul, them, and shalt be turned into another man. the son of Kish, was taken: and when they
7. And let it be, when these signs are | sought him, he could not be found.
22. Therefore they inquired of the LORD 8. And when he numbered them in Befurther, if the man should yet come thither. zek, the children of Israel were three hunAnd the LORD answered, Behold, he hath dred thousand, and the men of Judab thirty hid himself among the stuff. ,
thousand. 23. And they ran and fetched him thence: 9. And they said unto the messengers and when he stood among the people, he that came, Thus shall ye say unto the nien was higher than any of the people, from his of Jabesh-gilead, To-morrow, by that time shoulders and upward.
the sun be hot, ye shall have help. And 24. And Samuel said to all the people, the messengers came and showed it to the See ye bim whom the LORD hath chosen, men of Jabesh; and they were glad. that there is none like him among all the 10. Therefore the men of Jabesh said, people? And all the people shouted, and To-morrow we will come out unto you, said, God save the king!
and ye shall do with us all that seemeth 25. Then Samuel told the people the man good unto you. ner of the kingdom, and wrote it in a book, and 11. And it was so on the morrow, that laid it up before the Lord. And Samuel sent Saul put the people in three companies; all the people away, every man to his house. and they came into the midst of the host
26. And Saul also went home to Gibeah ; in the morning watch, and slew the Amand there went with him a band of men, monites until the heat of the day: and it whose hearts God had touched.
came to pass, that they which remained 27. But the children of Belial said, How I were scattered, so that two of them were shall this man save us ? And they despised not left together. him, and brought him no presents: but he 12. And the people said unto Samuel, held his peace.
Who is he that said, Shall Saul reign over CHAP. XI.
us? bring the men, that we may put them Nahash offereth them of Jabesh-gilead a reproachful to death. condition.
13. And Saul said, There shall not a man 1. THEN Nahash the Ammonite came
be put to death this day: for to-day the 1 up, and encamped against Jabesh- Lord hath wrought salvation in Israel. gilead: and all the men of Jabesh said unto
14. Then said Samuel to the people, Nahash, Make a covenant with us, and we | Come, and let us go to Gilgal, and renew will serve thee.
the kingdom there. 2. And Nahash the Ammonite answered
15. And all the people went to Gilgal; them, On this condition will I make a covenant
and there they made Saul king before the with you, that I may thrust out all your right | Lord in Gilgal; and there they sacrificed eyes, and lay it for a reproach upon all Israel.
sacrifices of peace-offerings before the LORD; 3. And the elders of Jabesh said unto
and there Saul and all the men of Israel him, Give us seven days' respite, that we il rejoiced greatly. . may send messengers unto all the coasts
CHAP. XII. of Israel: and then, if there be no man to
Samuel testifieth his integrity. save us, we will come out to thee.
1. À ND Samuel said unto all Israel, Be4. Then came the messengers to Gibeah El hold, I have hearkened unto your of Saul, and told the tidings in the ears of voice in all that ye said unto me, and have the people: and all the people lifted up their made a king over you. voices, and wept.
2. And now, behold, the king walketh 5. And, behold, Saul came after the before you: and I am old and gray-headed ; herd out of the field; and Saul said, What and, behold, my sons are with you; and I aileth the people that they weep? And they have walked before you from my childhood told him the tidings of the men of Jabesh. unto this day.
6. And the Spirit of God came upon Saul | 3. Behold, here I am: witness against when he heard those tidings, and his angerme before the LORD, and before his anointwas kindled greatly.
ed; whose ox have I taken ? or whose ass 7. And he took a yoke of oxen, and have I taken? or whom have I defrauded ? hewed them in pieces, and sent them whom have I oppressed ? or of whose hand throughout all the coasts of Israel by the have I received any bribe to blind mine eyes hands of messengers, saying, Whosoever therewith ? and I will restore it you. cometh not forth after Saul and after 4. And they said, Thou hast not defraudSamuel, so shall it be done unto his oxen. ed us, nor oppressed us, neither hast thou And the fear of the LORD fell on the peo- taken aught of any man's hand. ple, and they came out with one consent. 5. And he said unto them, The LORD is.