« PreviousContinue »
king into the chamber: and the king was shall sit upon my throne in my stead; even very old; and Abishag the Shunammite | so will I certainly do this day. ministered unto the king.
31. Then Baib-sheba bowed with her face 16. And Bath-sheba bowed, and did obei-to the earth, and did reverence to the king, sance unto the king. And the king said, and said, Let my lord king David live for ever. What wouldest thou ?
32. And king David said, Call me Zadok 17. And she said unto him, My lord, the priest, and Nathan the prophet, and thou swarest by the LORD thy God unto Benajah the son of Jehojada. And they thine handmaid, saying, Assuredly Solomon came before the king. thy son shall reign after me, and he shall sit 33. The king also said unto them, Take upon my throne:
with you the servants of your lord, and 18. And now, behold, Adonijah reigneth ; cause Solomon my son to ride upon mine and now, my lord the king, thou knowest it own mule, and bring him down to Gihon: not:
34. And let Zadok the priest and Nathan 19. And he hath slain oxen and fat cattle the prophet anoint him there king over Israel: and sheep in abundance, and hath called all and blow ye with the trumpet, and say, God the sons of the king, and Abiathar the priest, | save king Solomon. and Joab the captain of the host: but So 35. Then ye shall come up after him, that lomon thy servant hath he not called. he may come and sit upon my throne; for he
20. And thou, my lord, O king, the eyes shall be king in my stead: and I have appointof all Israel are upon thee, that thou shouldest ed him to be ruler over Israel and over Judah. tell them who shall sit on the throne of my | 36. And Benaiah the son of Jehoiada anlord the king after him.
swered the king, and said, Amen: the LORD 21. Otherwise it shall come to pass, when God of my lord the king say so too. my lord the king shall sleep with his fathers, 37. As the Lord hath been with my lord that I and my son Solomon shall be counted the king, even so be be with Solomon, and offenders.
make his throne greater than the throne of 22. And, lo, while she yet talked with the my lord king David. king, Nathan the prophet also came in. 39. So Zadok the priest, and Nathan the
23. And they told the king, saying, Be- il prophet, and Benaiah the son of Jehojada, hold, Nathan the prophet. And when he was and the Cherethites, and the Peletbites, went come in before the king, he bowed himself | down, and caused Solomon to ride upon king before the king with his face to the ground. David's mule, and brought him to Gihon.
24. And Nathan said, My lord, o king, 39. And Zadok the priest took a horn of hast thou said, Adonijah shall reign after me, oil out of the tabernacle, and anointed Soloand he shall sit upon my throne ?
mon. And they blew the trumpet; and all 25. For he is gone down this day, and the people said, God save king Solomon. hath slain oxen and fat cattle and sheep in 40. And all the people came up after him; abundance, and hath called all the king's and the people piped with pipes, and rejoiced sons, and the captains of the host, and with great joy, so that the earth rent with Abiathar the priest : and, behold, they eat the sound of them. and drink before him, and say, God save 41. And Adonijah, and all the guests that king Adonijah.
were with him, heard it, as they had made 26. But me, even me thy servant, and an end of eating. And when Joab heard Zadok the priest, and Benaiah the son of the sound of the trumpet, he said, Wherefore Jehoiada, and thy servant Solomon, hath he is this noise of the city being in an uproar ? not called.
42. And while he yet spake, behold, Jona27. Is this thing done by my lord the king, than the son of Abiathar the priest came:and and thou hast not showed it unto thy ser | Adonijah said unto him, Coine in; for thou vant, who should sit on the throne of my i art a valiant man, and bringest good tidings. lord the king after him ?
43. And Jonathan answered and said to 28. Then king David answered and said, Adonijah, Verily our lord king David hath
king's presence, and stood before the king. 44. And the king hath sent with him Za
29. And the king sware, and said, As the | dok the priest, and Nathan the prophet, and Lord liveth, that hath redeemed my soul || Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, and the Cheout of all distress,
rethites, and the Pelethites, and they have 30. Even as I sware unto thee by the caused him to ride upon the king's mule: LORD God of Israel, saying, Assuredly Solo-|| 45. And Zadok the priest and Nathan mon thy son shall reign after me, and he ll the prophet have anointed him king in Gi
hon; and they are come up from thence re- || slew, and shed the blood of war in peace, joicing, so that the city rang again. This and put the blood of war upon his girdle is the noise that ye have heard.
that was about his loins, and in his shoes 46. And also Solomon sitteth on the that were on his feet. throne of the kingdom.
6. Do therefore according to thy wisdom, 47. And, moreover, the king's servants and let not his hoar head go down to the came to bless our lord king David, saying, I grave in peace. God make the name of Solomon better than 7. But show kindness unto the sons of thy name, and make his throne greater than | Barzillai the Gileadite, and let them be of thy throne. And the king bowed himself those that eat at thy table: for so they upon the bed.
came to me when I fed because of Absa48. And also thus said the king, Blessed | lom thy brother. be the LORD God of Israel, which hath given | 8. And, behold, thou hast with thee Shione to sit on my throne this day, mine eyes mei the son of Gera, a Benjamite of Bahueven seeing it.
rim, which cursed me with a grievous curse 49. And all the guests that were within the day when I went to Mahanaim: but Adonijah were afraid, and rose up, and went he came down to meet me at Jordan, and I every man his way.
sware to him by the LORD, saying, I will not 50. And Adonijah feared because of Solo put thee to death with the sword. mon, and arose, and went, and caught hold 9. Now therefore hold him not guiltless : on the horns of the altar.
for thou art a wise man, and knowest what 51. And it was told Solomon, saying, Be- thou oughtest to do unto him ; but his hoar hold, Adonijah feareth king Solomon: for, | head bring thou down to the grave with blood. lo, he hath caught hold on the horns of the 10. So David slept with his fathers, and altar, saying, Let king Solomon swear unto was buried in the city of David. me to-day, that he will not slay his servant | 11. And the days that David reigned with the sword.
over Israel were forty years: seven years 52. And Solomon said, If he will show reigned he in Hebron, and thirty and three nimself a worthy man, there shall not a hair | years reigned he in Jerusalem. of him fall to the earth: but if wickedness 12. Then sat Solomon upon the throne shall be found in him, he shall die.
of David bis father; and his kingdom was 53. Soking Solomon sent, and they brought established greatly. him down from the altar. And he came and | 13. And Adonijah the son of Haggith howed himself to king Solomon: and Solo | came to Bath-sheba the mother of Solomon. mon said unto him, Go to thine house. And she said, Comest thou peaceably? And CHAP. II.
he said, Peaceably. David, having given a charge to Solomon, dieth. | 14. He said moreover, I have somewhat 1. N OW the days of David drew nigh to say unto thee. And she said, Say on.
W that he should die: and he charged 15. And he said, Thou knowest that the Solomon his son, saying,
kingdom was mine, and that all Israel set 2. I go the way of all the earth: be thou their faces on me, that I should reign: howstrong therefore, and show thyself a man; beit the kingdom is turned about, and is
3. And keep the charge of the LORD thy || become my brother's; for it was his from God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, the LORD. and his commandments, and his judgments, 16. And now I ask one petition of thee, and his testimonies, as it is written in the deny me not. And she said unto him, Say on. law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in 17. And he said, Speak, I pray thee, unto all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou Solomon the king, (för he will not say thee turnest thyself;
nay,) that he give me Abishag the Shunam4. That the Lord may continue his word, mite to wise. which he spake concerning me, saying, If | 18. And Bath-sheba said, Well; I will thy children take heed to their way, to walk speak for thee unto the king. before me in truth with all their heart and 19. Bath-sheba therefore went unto king with all their soul, there shall not fail thee Solomon, to speak unto him for Adonijah. (said he) a man on the throne of Israel. And the king rose up to meet her, and bow:
5. Moreover, thou knowest also what | ed himself unto her, and sat down on his Joab the son of Zeruiah did to me, and throne, and caused a seat to be set for the what he did to the two captains of the hosts king's mother; and she sat on his right hand. of Israel, unto Abner the son of Ner, and 20. Then she said, I desire one small peunto Amasa the son of Jether, whom he ll títion of thee; I pray thee, say me not nay. And the king said unto her, Ask on, my knowing thereof, to wit, Abner the son of Ner, mother; for I will not say thee nay. I captain of the host of Israel, and Amasa the
21. And she said, Let Abishag the Shu-| son of Jether, captain of the host of Judah. nammite be given to Adonijah thy brother 33. Their blood shall therefore return upon to wife..
the head of Joab, and upon the head of his 22. And king Solomon answered and seed for ever: but upon David, and upon his said unto his mother, And why dost thou | seed, and upon his house, and upon his ihrone, ask Abishag the Shunammite for Adonijah? | shall there be peace for ever fiom the Lord. ask for him the kingdom also ; for he is mine | 34. So Benaiah the son of Jehoiada went elder brother;even for him, and for Abiathar | up, and fell upon him, and slew him; and he the priest, and for Joab the son of Zeruiah. was buried in his own house in the wilderness.
23. Then king Solomon sware by the | 35. And the king put Benaiah the son of LORD, saying, God do so to me, and more | Jehoiada in his room over the host; and also, if Adonijah have not spoken this word Zadok the priest did the king put in the against his own life.
room of Abiathar. 24. Now therefore, as the Lord liveth, || 36. And the king sent and called for which hath established me, and set me on Shimei, and said unto him, Build thee a the throne of David my father, and who hath house in Jerusalem, and dwell there, and go made me a house, as he promised, Adonijah | not forth thence any whither. shall be put to death this day.
37. For it shall be, that on the day thou 25. And king Solomon sent by the hand goest out, and passest over the brook Kidron, of Benaiah the son of Jehoiada ; and he fell thou shalt know for certain that thou shalt upon him that he died.
surely die: thy blood shall be upon thine 26. And unto Abiathar the priest said own head. the king, Get thee to Anathoth, unto thine 38. And Shimei said unto the king, The own fields; for thou art worthy of death: saying is good: as my lord the king hath but I will not at this time put thee to death, said, so will thy servant do. And Shimei because thou barest the ark of the Lord dwelt in Jerusalem many days. God before David my father, and because 39. And it came to pass, at the end of thou hast been afflicted in all wherein my three years, that two of the servants of Shifather was afflicted.
mei ran away unto Achish son of Maachah, 27. So Solomon thrust out Abiathar from king of Gath: and they told Shimei, saying, being priest unto the LORD; that he might Behold, thy servants be in Gath. fulfil the word of the LORD, which he spake 40. And Shimej arose, and saddled his concerning the house of Eli in Shiloh. ass, and went to Gath, to Achish, to seek
28. Then tidings came to Joab: (for Joab his servants: and Shimei went, and brought had turned after Adonijah, though he turned his servants from Gath. not after Absalom :) and Joab filed unto the 41. And it was told Solomon that Shimei tabernacle of the Lord, and caught hold on had gone from Jerusalem to Gath, and was the horns of the altar.
come again. 29. And it was told king Solomon that 42. And the king sent and called for Joab was fled unto the tabernacle of the Shimei, and said unto him, Did I not make LORD; and, behold, he is by the altar. Then thee to swear by the Lord, and protested Solomon sent Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, unto thee, saying, Know for a certain, that saying, Go fall upon him.
on the day thou goest out, and walkest 30. And Benajah came to the tabernacle abroad any whither, that thou shalt surely of the LORD, and said unto him, Thus saith i die? and thou saidst unto me, The word the king, Come forth. And he said, Nay; that I have heard is good. but I will die here. And Benaiah brought 43. Why then hast thou not kept the oath the king word again, saying, Thus sajth Joab, of the Lord, and the commandment that and thus he answered me.
| I have charged thee with? 31. And the king said unto him, Do as | 44. The king said, moreover, to Shimei, he hath said, and fall upon him, and bury Thou knowest all the wickedness which him; that thou mayest take away the inno- || thine heart is privy to, that thou didst to cent blood, which Joab shed, from me, and David my father: therefore the LORD shall from the house of my father.
return thy wickedness upon thine own head: 32. And the LORD shall return his blood | 45. And king Solomon shall be blessed, upon his own head, who fell upon two men and the throne of David shall be established more righteous and better than he, and slew | before the LORD for ever. them with the sword, my father David not. 46. So the king commanded Benaiah the son of Jehoiada; which went out, and fell || so that there shall not be any among the kings upon him, that he died. And the kingdom like unto thee all thy days. was established in the hand of Solomon. 14. And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to CHAP. III.
keep my statutes and my commandments, Solomon's judgment between the two harlots maketh him as thy father David did walk, then I will renowned.
lengthen thy days. 1. AND Solomon made affinity with Pha- 15. And Solomon awoke; and, behold,
A raoh king of Egypt, and took Pha-l it was a dream. And he came to Jerusalem, raoh's daughter, and brought her into the and stood before the ark of the covenant of city of David, until he had made an end of the Lord, and offered up burnt-offerings, building his own house, and the house of the and offered peace-offerings, and made a LORD,and the wallof Jerusalem round about. feast to all bis servants.
2. Only the people sacrificed in high 16. I Then came there two women, that places, because there was no house built were harlots, unto the king, and stood before unto the name of the Lord until those days. him.
3. And Solomon loved the Lord, walking 17. And the one woman said, O my lord in the statutes of David his father: only he I and this woman dwell in one house, and 1 sacrificed and burnt incense in high places. was delivered of a child with her in the house.
4. And the king went to Gibeon to sacri- || | 18. And it came to pass, the third day fice there; for that was the great high place: 1 aster that I was delivered, that this woman a thousand burnt-offerings did Solomon offer was delivered also: and we were together ; upon that altar.
there was no stranger with us in the house, 5. In Gibeon the LORD appeared to So-save we two in the house. lomon in a dream by night: and God said, 19. And this woman's child died in the Ask what I shall give thee.
night; because she overlaid it. 6. And Solomon said, Thou hast showed 20. And she arose at midnight, and took unto thy servant David my father great mer- my son from beside me, while thine handcy, according as he walked before thee in maid slept, and laid it in her bosom, and laid truth, and in righteousness, and in upright- || her dead child in my bosom. ness of heart with thee; and thou hast kept 21. And when I arose in the morning to for him this great kindness, that thou hast give my child suck, behold, it was dead; given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is but when I had considered it in the morning, this day.
behold, it was not my son which I did bear. 7. And now, O LORD my God, thou hast 22. And the other woman said, Nay; but made thy servant king instead of David my the living is my son, and the dead is thy son. father; and I am but a little child: I know | And this said, No; but the dead is thy son, not how to go out or come in.
and the living is my son. Thus they spake 8. And thy servant is in the midst of thy before the king. people which thou hast chosen, a great peo-_23. Then said the king, The one saith, ple, that cannot be numbered nor counted | This is my son that liveth, and thy son is for multitude.
the dead: and the other saith, Nay; but i 9. Give therefore thy servant an under thy son is the dead, and my son is the living. standing heart to judge thy people, that I may 24. And the king said, Bring me a sword. discern between good and bad : for who is And they brought a sword before the king. able to judge this thy so great a people ? 25. And the king said, Divide the living
10. And the speech pleased the LORD, child in two, and give half to the one, and that Solomon had asked this thing.
half to the other. 11. And God said unto him, Because thou 26. Then spake the woman whose the hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for living child was unto the king, (for her thyself long life; neither hast asked riches bowels yearned upon her son,) and she said, for thyself, nor hast asked.the life of thine O my lord, give her the living child, and enemies; but hast asked for thyself under- in no wise slay it. But the other said, Let standing to discern judgment;
it be neither mine nor thine, but divide it. 12. Behold, I have done according to thy 27. Then the king answered and said, words: lo, I heve given thee a wise and an Give her the living child, and in no wise understanding heart; so that there was none | slay it: she is the mother thereof. like thee before thee, neither after thee shall | 28. And all Israel heard of the judgment any arise like unto thee.
which the king had judged; and they feared 13. And I have also given thee that which the king: for they saw that the wisdom of thou hast not asked, both riches and honour ; Il God was in him, to do judgment.
Anđuhand the king and my son as they but
|| Philistines, and unto the border of Egypt: I Solomon's princes. 7 His twelve officers for provision. they brought presents, and served Solomon 1. QO king Solomon was king over all Is- all the days of his life. rael.
22. Ard Solomon's provision for one day 2. And these were the princes which he was thirty measures of fine flour, and threehad ; Azariah the son of Zadok the priest; score measures of meal,
3. Elihoreph and Ahiah, the sons of Shi- ' 23. Ten fat oxen, and twenty oxen out sha, scribes; Jehoshaphat the son of Ahilud, of the pastures, and a hundred sheep, besides the recorder.
| harts, and roe-bucks, and fallow deer, and 4. And Benaiah the son of Jehoiada was fatted fowl. over the host; and Zadok and Abiathar were 1 24. For he had dominion over all the the priests;
region on this side the river, from Tiphsah 5. And Azariah the son of Nathan was even to Azzah, over all the kings on this over the officers; and Zabud the son of Na- side the river: and he had peace on all than was priucipalofficer,and the king's friend; sides round about him.
6.And Ahishar was over the household; and 25. And Judah and Israel dwelt safely, Adoniram the son of Abdawasover the tribute, every man under his vine and under his
7. And Solomon had twelve officers over fig-tree, from Dan even to Beer-sheba, all all Israel, which provided victuals for the the days of Solomon. king and his household: each man his month 26. And Solomon had forty thousand in a year made provision.
stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve 8. And these are their names: The son thousand horsemen. of Hur, in mount Ephraim.
27. And those officers provided victual for 9. The son of Dekar; in Makaz, and in king Solomon, and for all that came unto Shaalbim, and Beth-shemesh, and Elon- king Solomon's table, every man in his beth-hanan.
month: they lacked nothing. 10. The son of Hesed, in Aruboth; to him! 23. Barley also and straw for the horses pertained Sochoh,and all the land of Hepher. and dromedaries brought they unto the place
11. The son of Abinadab, in all the re- where the officers were, every man according gion of Dor; which had Taphath the daugh- to his charge. ter of Solomon to wife.
29. And God gave Solomon wisdom and 12. Baana, the son of Ahilud; to him per understanding exceeding much, and largetained Taanach and Megiddo, and all Beth-ness of heart, even as the sand that is on shean, which is by Zartanah beneath Jez- the sea-shore. reel, from Beth-shean to Abel-meholah, even 30. And Solomon's wisdom excelled the unto the place that is beyond Jokneam. wisdom of all the children of the east
13. The son of Geber, in Ramoth-gilead; country, and all the wisdom of Egypt. to him pertained the towns of Jair the son 31. For he was wiser than all men; than of Manasseh, which are in Gilead: to him Ethan the Ezrahite, and Heman, and also pertained the region of Argob, which Chalcol, and Darda, the sons of Mahol : and is in Bashan, threescore great cities, with his fame was in all nations round about. walls and brazen bars.
32. And he spake three thousand pro14. Ahinadab the son of Iddo had Maha- verbs: and his songs were a thousand and five. naim.
33. And he spake of trees, from the cedar15. Ahimaaz was in Naphtali; he also took tree that is in Lebanon even unto the Basmath the daughter of Solomon to wife. hyssop that springeth out of the wall: he
16. Baanah the son of Hushai was in spake also of beasts, and of fowl, and of Asher and in Aloth.
creeping things, and of fishes. 17. Jehoshaphat the son of Paruah in Is- 34. And there came of all people to hear sachar.
the wisdom of Solomon, from all kings of 18. Shimei the son of Elah in Benjamin. the earth, which had heard of his wisdom, 19. Geber the son of Uri was in the coun
CHAP. V. try of Gilead, in the country of Sihon king of Hiram sendeth to congratulate Solomon the Amorites, and of Og king of Bashan ; and 1. AND Hiram king of Tyre sent his serhe was the only officer which was in the land. A vants unto Solomon ; (for he had
20. f Judah and Israel were many, as heard that they had anointed him king in the sand which is by the sea in multitude, the room of his father ;) for Hiram was ever eating and drinking, and making merry, a lover of David.
21. And Solomon reigned over all king. I 2. And Solomon sent to Hiram, saying, doms from the river unto the land of the l 3. Thou knowest how that Dayid my