« PreviousContinue »
prophets prophesy lies in my name; I sent are for the sword, to the sword; and such as them not, neither have I commanded them, are for the famine, to the famine; and such neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto as are for the captivity, to the captivity. you a false vision and divination, and a thing 3. - And I will appoint over them four of nought, and the deceit of their heart. kinds, saith the Lord; the sword to slay,
15. Therefore thus saith the LORD con and the dogs to tear, and the fowls of the cerning the prophets that prophesy in my heaven, and the beasts of the earth, to de name, and I sent them not, yet they say, vour and destroy. Sword and famine shall not be in this land; 1 4. And I will cause them to be removed By sword and famine shall those prophets into all kingdoms of the earth, because of be consumed.
Manasseh the son of Hezekiah king of Ju. 16. And the people to whom they pro- dah, for that which he did in Jerusalem. phesy shall be cast out in the streets of 15. For who shall have pity upon thee, O Jerusalem, because of the famine and the Jerusalem ? or who shall bemoan thee? or sword; and they shall have none to bury who shall go aside to ask how thou doest? them, them, their wives, nor their sons, nor 16. Thou hast forsaken me, saith the LORD, their daughters; for I will pour their wick thou art gone backward; therefore will I edness upon them.
stretch out my hand against thee, and de17. Therefore thou shalt say this word stroy thee; I am weary with repenting. unto them, Let mine eyes run down with 7. And I will fan them with a fan in the tears night and day, and let them not cease: gates of the land; I will bereave them of for the virgin daughter of my people is children, I will destroy my people, since they broken with a great breach, with a very | return not from their ways. grievous blow.
8. Their widows are increased to me 18. If I go forth into the field, then be above the sand of the seas: I have brought hold the slain with the sword! and if I en- upon them, against the mother of the young ter into the city, then behold them that are men, a spoiler at noon-day; I have caused sick with famine! yea, both the prophet and him to fall upon it suddenly, and terrors upon the priest go about into a land that they the city. know not.
9. She that hath borne seven languisheth, 19. Hast thou utterly rejected Judah? she hath given up the ghost; her sun is gone hath thy soul loathed Zion? why hast thou down while it was yet day; she hath been smitten us, and there is no healing for us? ashamed and confounded : and the residue we looked for peace, and there is no good; of them will I deliver to the sword before and for the time of healing, and behold their enemies, saith the LORD. trouble!
10. Wo is me, my mother, that thou hast 20. We acknowledge, O LORD, our borne me a man of strife, and a man of conwickedness, and the iniquity of our fathers; tention to the whole earth! I have neither for we have sinned against thee.
| lent on usury, nor men have lent to me on 21. Do not abhor us, for thy name's sake; usury; yet every one of them doth curse me. do not disgrace the throne of thy glory: | 11. The LORD said, Verily it shall be remember, break not thy covenant with well with thy remnant, verily I will cause
the enemy to entreat thee well in the time 22. Are there any among the vanities of evil, and in the time of affliction. of the Gentiles that can cause rain? or can 12. Shall iron break the northern iron the heavens give showers? Art not thou and the steel? he, O LORD our God: therefore we will 13. Thy substance and thy treasures will wait upon thee; for thou hast made all I give to the spoil without price, and that these things.
for all thy sins, even in all thy borders. CHAP. XV.
14. And I will make thee to pass with thine The utter rejection and manifold judgments of the Jews. enemies into a land which thou knowest not; 1. IT WHEN said the LORD unto me, for a fire is kindled in mine anger, which
1 Though Moses and Samuel stood shall burn upon you. before me, yet my mind could not be toward 15. O LORD, thou knowest : remember this people; cast them out of my sight, and me, and visit me, and revenge me of my let them go forth.
persecutors; take me not away i thy long2. And it shall come to pass, if they say suffering: know that for thy sake I have sufunto thee, Whither shall we go forth ?" then fered rebuke. thou shalt tell them, Thus saith the LORD, 16. Thy words were found, and I did eat Such as are for death, to death; and such as them; and thy word was unto me the joy
and rejoicing of my heart: for I am called 9. For thus saith the LORD of hosts, the by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.
God of Israel; Behold, I will cause to cease 17. I sat not in the assembly of the out of this place in your eyes, and in your mockers, nor rejoiced; I sat alone, because days, the voice of mirth, and the voice of of thy hand: for thou hast filled me with gladness, the voice of the bridegroom, and indignation:
the voice of the bride. 18. Why is my pain perpetual, and my 10. And it shall come to pass, when thou wound incurable, which refuseth to be heal shalt show this people all these words, and ed? wilt thou be altogether unto me as a they shall say unto thee, Wherefore hath liar, and as waters that fail?
the LORD pronounced all this great evil 19. Therefore thus saith the LORD, If thou against us? or what is our iniquity, or what return, then will I bring thee again, and thou is our sin, that we have committed against shalt stand before me: and if thou take forth the Lord our God? the precious from the vile, thou shalt be 11. Then shalt thou say unto them, Beas my mouth: let them return unto thee; | cause your fathers have forsaken me, saith but return not thou unto them.
the LORD, and have walked after other 20. And I will make thee unto this people gods, and have served them, and have wora fenced brazen wall; and they shall fight shipped them, and have forsaken me, and against thee, but they shall not prevail | have not kept my law: . against thee: for I am with thee to save 12. And ye have done worse than your thee, and to deliver thee, saith the LORD. | fathers; (for, behold, ye walk every one
21. And I will deliver thee out of the after the imagination of his evil heart, that hand of the wicked, and I will redeem thee they may not hearken unto me;) out of the hand of the terrible.
| 13. Therefore will I cast you out of this CHAP. XVI."
| land into a land that ye know not, neither The prophet forshoweth the utter ruin of the Jews. ye nor your fathers; and there shall ye serve
NHE word of the LORD came also other gods day and night, where I will not I unto me, saying,
show you favour. 2. Thou shalt not take thee a wife, nei | 14. Therefore, behold, the days come, ther shalt thou have sons nor daughters in saith the LORD, that it shall no more be this place.
said, The LORD liveth that brought up the 3. For thus saith the LORD concerning the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; sons, and concerning the daughters that are 15. But, The Lord liveth that brought up born in this place, and concerning their mo the children of Israel from the land of the thers that bare them, and concerning their || north, and from all the lands whither he had fathers that begat them in this land; driven them: and I will bring them again
4. They shall die of grievous deaths: they into their land that I gave unto their fathers. shall not be lamented, neither shall they be 16. Behold, I will send for many fishers, buried; but they shall be as dung upon the saith the LORD, and they shall fish them ; face of the earth: and they shall be con- and after I will send for many hunters, and sumed by the sword and by famine; and they shall hunt them from every mountain, their carcases shall be meat for the fowls and from every hill, and out of the holes of of heaven, and for the beasts of the earth. the rocks.
5. For thus saith the LORD, Enter not 17. For mine eyes are upon all their into the house of mourning, neither go to ways: they are not hid from my face, neilament nor bemoan them: for I have taken ther is their iniquity hid from mine eyes. away my peace from this people, saith the 18. And first I will recompense theiriniquity LORD, even loving kindness and mercies. and their sin double; because they have de
6. Both the great and the small shall die filed my land, they have filled mine inheriin this land: they shall not be buried, nei- tance with the carcases of their detestable ther shall men lament for them, nor cut and abominable things. themselves, nor make themselves bald for 19. O LORD, my strength, and my forthem:
tress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, 7. Neither shall men tear themselves for the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the them in mourning, to comfort them for the ends of the earth, and shall say, Surely our dead; neither shall men give them the cup fathers have inherited lies, vanities, and of consolation to drink for their father or for things wherein there is no profit. their mother.
20. Shall a man make gods unto himself, 8. Thou shalt not also go into the house of and they are no gods? feasting, to sit with them to eat and to drink. |21. Therefore, behold, I will this once
n this pand mercies die filed my lan the
bath delves, anith the
cause them to know, I will cause them to |15. Behold, they say unto me, Where know my hand and my might; and they is the word of the LORD? let it come now. shall know that my name is the LORD. || 16. As for me, I have not hastened from CHAP, XVII. •
being a pastor to follow thee; neither have 1 The captivity of Judah for her sin. 6 Trust in God is | 1 desired the woful day, thou knowest blessed.
which came out of my lips was right before 1. THE sin of Judah is written with a thee.
1 pen of iron, and with the point of a | 17. Be not a terror unto me: thou art my diamond: it is graven upon the table of their hope in the day of evil. heart, and upon the horns of your altars; | 18. Let them be confounded that perse
2. Whilst their children remember their cute me, but let not me be confounded; let altars and their groves by the green trees them be dismayed, but let not me be disupon the high hills.
mayed: bring upon them the day of evil, and 3. O my mountain in the field, I will give destroy them with double destruction. thy substance and all thy treasures to the 19. Thus saith the LORD unto me, Go spoil, and thy high places for sin, throughout || and stand in the gate of the children of the all thy borders.
people, whereby the kings of Judah come 4. And thou, even thyself, shalt discon- in, and by the which they go out, and in tinue from thy heritage that I gave thee; | all the gates of Jerusalem; and I will cause thee to serve thine enemies 20. And say unto them, Hear ye the in the land which thou knowest not: for ye word of the LORD, ye kings of Judah, and have kindled a fire in mine anger, which all Judah, and all the inhabitants of Jerushall burn for ever.
salem, that enter in by these gates: 5. Thus saith the LORD, Cursed be the 21. Thus saith the LORD, Take heed to man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabhis arm, and whose heart departeth from the bath-day, nor bring it in by the gates of JeLORD:
rusalem; 6. For he shall be like the heath in the 22. Neither carry forth a burden out of desert, and shall not see when good cometh; | your houses on the sabbath-day, neither do but shall inhabit the parched places in the ye any work; but hallow ye the sabbathwilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited. day, as I commanded your fathers.
7. Blessed is the man that trusteth in the 23. But they obeyed not, neither inclined · LORD, and whose hope the LORD is: their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they
8. For he shall be as a tree planted by the might not hear, nor receive instruction. waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by 24. And it shall come to pass, if ye dilithe river, and shall not see when heat cometh, I gently hearken unto me, saith the LORD, to but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be bring in no burden through the gates of this careful in the year of drought, neither shall city on the sabbath-day, but hallow the sabcease from yielding fruit.
bath-day, to do no work therein; 9. The heart is deceitful above all things, ll 25. Then shall there enter into the gates and desperately wicked: who can know it? | of this city kings and princes sitting upon
10. I the LORD search the heart, I try the || the throne of David, riding in chariots and reins, even to give every man according to on horses, they, and their princes, the men his ways, and according to the fruit of his of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem; doings.
and this city shall remain for ever.* 11. As the partridge sitteth on eggs, and 26. And they shall come from the cities hatcheth them not; so he that getteth riches, of Judah, and from the places about Jeruand not by right, shall leave them in the salem, and from the land of Benjamin, and midst of his days, and at his end shall be a from the plain, and from the mountains, fool.
and from the south, bringing burnt-offer12. A glorious high throne from the be- || ings, and sacrifices, and meat-offerings, and ginning is the place of our sanctuary. incense, and bringing sacrifices of praise,
13. O LORD, the Hope of Israel, all that unto the house of the LORD. forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that. 27. But if ye will not hearken unto me to depart from me shall be written in the earth, || hallow the sabbath-day, and not to bear a because they have forsaken the LORD, the burden, even entering in at the gates of Jefountain of living waters.
rusalem on the sabbath-day; then will I 14. Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall thou art my praise.
not be quenched.
|| thereby shall be astonished, and wag bis Under the type of a potter is showed God's absolute power. || head. 1. THE word which came to Jeremiah | 17. I will scatter them as with an east 1 from the LORD, saying,
wind before the enemy: I will show them 2. Arise, and go down to the potter's the back, and not the face, in the day of house, and there will I cause thee to hear || their calamity. my words.
18. Then said they, Come, and let us 3. Then I went down to the potter's devise devices against Jeremiah; for the house, and, behold, he wrought a work on law shall not perish from the priest, nor the wheels.
counsel from the wise, nor the word from 4. And the vessel that he made of clay the prophet: come, and let us smite him was marred in the hand of the potter; so with the tongue, and let us not give heed to he made it again another vessel, as seemed any of his words. good to the potter to make it.
19. Give heed to me, O LORD, and 5. Then the word of the LORD came to hearken to the voice of them that contend me, saying,
with me. 6. O house of Israel, cannot I do with h 20. Shall evil be recompensed for good ? you as this potter ? saith the LORD. Be- for they have digged a pit for my soul. Re. hold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, member that I stood before thee to speak so are ye in my hand, O house of Israel. good for them, and to turn away thy wrath
7. Åt what instant I shall speak concern- || from them. ing a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to 21. Therefore deliver up their children to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy the famine, and pour out their blood by the
force of the sword; and let their wives be 8. If that nation, against whom I have bereaved of their children, and be widows; pronounced, turn from their evil, I will re- and let their men be put to death; let their pent of the evil that I thought to do unto young men be slain by the sword in battle. them.
22. Let a cry be heard from their houses, 9. And at what instant I shall speak con- when thou shalt bring a troop suddenly cerning a nation, and concerning a king- upon them; for they have digged a pit to dom, to build, and to plant it:
take me, and hid snares for my feet. 10. If it do evil in my sight, that it obey 23. Yet, LORD, thou knowest all their not my voice, then I will repent of the good counsel against me to slay me: forgive not wherewith I said I would benefit them. their iniquity, neither blot out their sin from
11. Now, therefore, go to, speak to the thy sight; but let them be overthrown before men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Je- thee: deal thus with them in the time of rusalem, saying, Thus saith the LORD, Be thine anger. hold, I frame evil against you, and devise a
CHAP. XIX. device against you: return ye now every
The desolation of the Jews for their sins foretold. one from his evil way, and make your ways || 1. THUS saith the LORD, Go, and get a and your doings good.
1 potter's earthen bottle, and take of 12. And they said, There is no hope; || the ancients of the people, and of the anbut we will walk after our own devices, I cients of the priests, and we will every one do the imagination || 2. And go forth unto the valley of the son of his evil heart.
of Hinnom, which is by the entry of the 13. Therefore thus saith the LORD, Ask ye east gate, and proclaim there the words that, now among the heathen, who hath heard || I shall tell thee; such things ? the virgin of Israel hath done 3. And say, Hear ye the word of the a very horrible thing.
| LORD, O kings of Judah, and inhabitants of 14. Will a man leave the snow of Leba Jerusalem; Thus saith the Lord of hosts, non which cometh from the rock of the field? | the God of Israel, Behold, I will bring evil or shall the cold flowing waters that come upon this place, the which whosoever hearfrom another place be forsaken?
eth, his ears shall tingle. 15. Because my people hath forgotten 4. Because they have forsaken me, and me, they have burnt incense to vanity, and have estranged this place, and have burnt they have caused them to stumble in their incense in it unto other gods, whom neither ways from the ancient paths, to walk in they nor their fathers have known, nor the paths in a way not cast up;
kings of Judah, and have filled this place 16. To make their land desolate, and l with the blood of mnocents; a perpetual hissing: every one that passeth | 5. They have built also the high places of
Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt-, the high gate of Benjamin, which was by the offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, || house of the LORD. nor spake it, neither came it into my mind: 3. And it came to pass on the morrow,
6. Therefore, behold, the days come, saith that Pashur brought forth Jeremiah out of the LORD, that this place shall no more be the stocks. Then said Jeremiah unto him, called Tophet, nor, The valley of the son of | The Lord hath not called thy name Pashur, Hinnom, but, The valley of slaughter. but Magor-missabib.
7. And I will make void the counsel of || 4. For thus saith the LORD, Behold, I Judah and Jerusalem in this place; and I will make thee a terror to thyself, and to all will cause them to fall by the sword before thy friends; and they shall fall by the sword their enemies, and by the hands of them that of their enemies, and thine eyes shall behold seek their lives; and their carcases will I | it: and I will give all Judah into the hand give to be meat for the fowls of the heaven, of the king of Babylon, and he shall carry and for the beasts of the earth.
| them captive into Babylon, and shall slay 8. And I will make this city desolate, and them with the sword. a hissing: every one that passeth thereby 5. Moreover, I will deliver all the strength shall be astonished and hiss, because of all of this city, and all the labours thereof, and the plagues thereof.
all the precious things thereof, and all the 9. And I will cause them to eat the flesh treasures of the kings of Judah will I give of their sons, and the flesh of their daugh- into the hand of their enemies, which shall ters, and they shall eat every one the flesh spoil them, and take them, and carry them of his friend, in the siege and straitness to Babylon. wherewith their enemies, and they that seek IL 6. And thou, Pashur, and all that dwell their lives, shall straiten them.
in thy house, shall go into captivity: and 10. Then shalt thou break the bottle in thou shalt come to Babylon, and there thou the sight of the men that go with thee, shalt die, and shalt be buried there, thou,
11. And shalt say unto them, Thus saith and all thy friends, to whom thou hast prothe Lord of hosts, Even so will I break | phesied lies. this people, and this city, as one breaketh a 7. O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and potter's vessel, that cannot be made whole I was deceived; thou art stronger than 1, again; and they shall bury them in Tophet, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, till there be no place else to bury.
every one mocketh me. 12. Thus will I do unto this place, saith | 1 8. For since I spake, I cried out, I cried the Lord, and to the inhabitants thereof, || violence and spoil; because the word of the and even make their city as Tophet: LORD was made a reproach unto me, and a
13. And the houses of Jerusalem, and the derision daily. · houses of the kings of Judah, shall be defiled, 9. Then I said, I will not make mention
as the place of Tophet, because of all the of him, nor speak any more in his name: houses upon whose roofs they have burnt | but his word was in mine heart as a burning incense unto all the host of heaven, and have fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary poured out drink-offerings unto other gods. with forbearing, and I could not stay.
14. Then came Jeremiah from Tophet, || 10. For I heard the defaming of many; whither the Lord had sent him to prophesy; | fear on every side. Report, say they, and and he stood in the court of the LORD'S | we will report it. All my familiars watched house, and said to all the people,
for my halting, saying, Peradventure he will 15. Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God | be enticed, and we shall prevail against him, of Israel, Behold, I will bring upon this city, and we shall take our revenge on him... and upon all her towns, all the evil that I | 11. But the LORD is with me as a mighty have pronounced against it; because they || terrible one; therefore my persecutors shall have hardened their necks, that they might | stumble, and they shall not prevail; they not hear my words.
shall be greatly ashamed; for they shall not CHAP. XX.
prosper: their everlasting confusion shall Pashur, smiting Jeremiah, receiveth a new name, and a || never be forgotten. fearful doom.
ll 12. But, Ö LORD of hosts, that triest the 1. NTOW Pashur, the son of Immer the righteous, and seest the reins and the heart,
N priest, who was also the chief gover- || let me see thy vengeance on them: for unto nor in the house of the LORD, heard that thee have I opened my cause. Jeremiah prophesied these things.
13. Sing unto the LORD, praise ye the 2. Then Pashur smote Jeremiah the pro- LORD; for he hath delivered the soul of the phet, and put him in the stocks that were in || poor from the hand of evil-doers.