« PreviousContinue »
2. And lay siege against it, and build a given thee cow's dung for man's dung, and fort against it, and cast a mount against it; thou shalt prepare thy bread therewith. set the camp also against it, and set batter- | 16. Moreover he said unto me, Son of ing-rams against it round about. . man, behold, I will break the staff of bread
3. Moreover, take thou unto thee an iron in Jerusalem; and they shall eat bread by pan, and set it for a wall of iron between weight, and with care; and they shall drink thee and the city; and set thy face against it, water by measure, and with astonishment: and it shall be besieged, and thou shalt lay 17. That they may want bread and wasiege against it. This shall be a sign to the ter, and be astonished one with another, and house of Israel.
consume away for their iniquity, 4. Lie thou also upon thy left side, and lay
CHAP. V. the iniquity of the house of Israel upon it: The judgment of Jerusalem for their rebellion. according to the number of the days that 1. AND thou, son of man, take thee a thou shalt lie upon it thou shalt bear their I sharp knife, take thee a barber's rainiquity.
zor, and cause it to pass upon thy head, and 5. For I have laid upon thee the years of upon thy beard ; then take thee balances to their iniquity, according to the number of the weigh, and divide the hair. days, three hundred and ninety days: so 2. Thou shalt burn with fire a third part shalt thou bear the iniquity of the house of in the midst of the city, when the days of Israel.
the siege are fulfilled; and thou shalt take 6. And when thou hast accomplished a third part, and smite about it with a knife; them, lie again on thy right side, and thou || and a third part thou shalt scatter in the shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah wind : and I will draw out a sword after forty days: I have appointed thee each day them. for a year.
| 3. Thou shalt also take thereof a few in 7. Therefore thou shalt set thy face to- | number, and bind them in thy skirts. ward the siege of Jerusalem, and thine arm 4. Then take of them again, and cast shall be uncovered, and thou shalt prophesy | them into the midst of the fire, and burn against it.
them in the fire; for thereof shall a fire 8. And, behold, I will lay bands upon thee, | come forth into all the house of Israel. and thou shalt not turn thee from one side 5. Thus saith the Lord God, This is Je to another, till thou hast ended the days of rusalem: I have set it in the midst of the na thy siege.
tions and countries that are round about her. 9. Take thou also unto thee wheat, and 16. And she hath changed my judgments barley, and beans, and lentiles, and millet, into wickedness more than the nations, and and fitches, and put them in one vessel, and my statutęs more than the countries that are make thee bread thereof, according to the round about her; for they have refused my number of the days that thou shalt lie upon judgments and my statutes, they have not thy side; three hundred and ninety days walked in them. shalt thou eat thereof.
7. Therefore thus saith the Lord Gon, 10. And thy meat which thou shalt eat Because ye multiplied more than the nations shall be by weight, twenty shekels a-day: that are round about you, and have not from time to time shalt thou eat it. walked in my statutes, neither have kept
11. Thou shalt drink also water by mea my judgments, neither have done according sure, the sixth part of a hin : from time to to the judgments of the nations that are time shalt thou drink.
round about you; 12. And thou shalt eat it as barley-cakes, 8. Therefore thus saith the Lord God, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh Behold, I, even I, am against thee, and will out of man, in their sight.
execute judgments in the midst of thep, in 13. And the LORD said, Even thus shall the sight of the nations. the children of Israel eat their defiled bread 9. And I will do in thee that which I have among the Gentiles, whither I will drive not done, and whereunto I will not do any them.
more the like; because of all thine abomi. 14. Then said I, Ah Lord God! behold, nations. my soul hath not been polluted; for from my 10. Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons youth up, even till now, have I not eaten of in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat that which dieth of itself, or is torn in pieces; their fathers; and I will execute judgments neither came there abominable flesh into my in thee, and the whole remnant of thee will mouth.
I scatter into all the winds.' 15. Then he said unto me, Lo, I have ll 11. Wherefore, as I live, saith the Lord
ad htches, and pathereof, accomailt ie upon
valked in them. th
GOD, Surely, because thou hast defiled my || be desolate; that your altars may be laid sanctuary with all thy detestable things, and waste and made desolate, and your idols with all thine abominations, therefore will may be broken and cease, and your images I also diminish thee; neither shall mine eye may be cut down, and your works may be spare, neither will I have any pity. abolished.
12. A third part of thee shall die with the 7. And the slain shall fall in the midst of pestilence, and with famine shall they be you; and ye shall know that I am the LORD. consumed in the midst of thee; and a third 8. Yet will I leave a remnant, that ye part shall fall by the sword round about may have some that shall escape the sword thee; and I will scatter a third part into all | among the nations, when ye shall be scatthe winds; and I will draw out a sword after tered through the countries. them.
9. And they that escape of you shall re13. Thus shall mine anger be accom- member me among the nations, whither they plished, and I will cause my fury to rest | shall be carried captives, because I am broupon them, and I will be comforted: and | ken with their whorish heart, which hath dethey shall know that I the Lord bave spo parted from me, and with their eyes, which ken it in my zeal, when I have accomplished go a whoring after their idols: and they shall my fury in them.
loathe themselves for the evils which they *14. Moreover, I will make thee waste, have committed in all their abominations. and a reproach among the nations that are 10. And they shall know that I am the round about thee, in the sight of all that | LORD, and that I have not said in vain that pass by.
I would do this evil unto them. 15. So it shall be a reproach and a taunt, 11. Thus saith the Lord God, Smite an instruction and an astonishment, unto with thy hand, and stamp with thy foot, and the nations that are round about thee, when say, Alas, for all the evil abominations of I shall execute judgments in thee, in anger the house of Israel! for they shall fall by and in fury, and in furious rebukes. I the the sword, by the famine, and by the pestiLORD have spoken it.
lence. 16. When I shall send upon them the 12. He that is far off shall die of the pestievil arrows of famine, which shall be for lence; and he that is near shall fall by the their destruction, and which I will send to sword; and he that remaineth and is be destroy you: and I will increase the famine sieged shall die by the famine: thus will I upon you, and will break your staff of bread. ||
| accomplish my fury upon them. 17. So will I send upon you famine, and 13. Then shall ye know that I am the evil beasts, and they shall bereave thee; and LORD, when their slain men shall be among pestilence and blood shall pass through thee; || their idols round about their altars, upon and I will bring the sword upon thee. I the every high hill, in all the tops of the mounLORD have spoken it.
tains, and under every green tree, and under CHAP. VI.
every thick oak, the place where they did The faithful are exhorted to lament their calamities. offer sweet savour to all their idols. 1. AND the word of the Lord came 14. So will I stretch out my hand upon A unto me, saying,
them, and make the land desolate, yea, 2. Son of man set thy face toward the more desolate than the wilderness toward mountains of Israel, and prophesy against Diblath, in all their habitations; and they them,
shall know that I am the LORD. 3 And say, Ye mountains of Israel, hear
CHAP. VII. the word of the Lord God; Thus saith the 1 The final desolation of Israel: 23 Their miserable captivity. Lord God to the mountains and to the hills, || 1. M OREOVER, the word of the LORD to the rivers, and to the valleys, Behold, I, MI came unto me, saying, even I, will bring a sword upon you, and I 2. Also, thou son of man, thus saith the will destroy your high places;
Lord God unto the land of Israel, An end 4. And your altars shall be desolate, and the end is come upon the four corners of the your images shall be broken; and I will land. cast down your slain men before your idols. 3. Now is the end come upon thee, and I
5. And I will lay the dead carcases of will send mine anger upon thee, and will the children of Israel before their idols; and judge thee according to thy ways, and will I will scatter your bones round about your recompense upon thee all thine abominaaltars.
tions. 6. In all your dwelling places the cities 1 4. And mine eye shall not spare thee, shall be laid waste, and the high places shall || neither will I have pity: but I will recom
pense thy ways upon thee, and thine abomi- || to deliver them in the day of the wrath of nations shall be in the midst of thee; and ye the LORD: they shall not satisfy their souls, shall know that I am the LORD.
neither fill their bowels; because it is the 5. Thus saith the Lord God, An evil, an stumbling-block of their iniquity. only evil, behold, is come.
20. As for the beauty of his ornament, he 6. An end is come, the end is come: it set it in majesty; but they made the images watcheth for thee; behold, it is come. of their abominations, and of their detestable
7. The morning is come unto thee, O thou things therein: therefore have I set it far that dwellest in the land : the time is come, from them. the day of trouble is near, and not the sound. 21. And I will give it into the hands of the ing again of the mountains.
strangers for a prey, and to the wicked of the 8. Now will I shortly pour out my fury earth for a spoil; and they shall pollute it. upon thee, and accomplish mine anger upon 22. My face will I turn also from them, thee; and I will judge thee according to thy | and they shall pollute my secret place: for ways, and will recompense thee for all thine the robbers shall enter into it, and defile it. abominations.
| 23. Make a chain; for the land is full of 9. And mine eye shall not spare, neither | bloody crimes, the city is full of violence. will I have pity: I will recompense thee ac- 24. Wherefore I will bring the worst of the cording to thy ways, and thine abominations heathen, and they shall possess their houses: that are in the midst of thee; and ye shall || I will also make the pomp of the strong to know that I am the LORD that smiteth. cease, and their holy places shall be defiled.
10. Behold the day, behold, it is come; 25. Destruction cometh; and they shall the morning is gone forth; the rod hath seek peace, and there shall be none. blossomed; pride hath budded.
26. Mischief shall come upon mischief, 11. Violence is risen up into a rod of wick- || and rumour shall be upon rumour; then edness: none of them shall remain, nor of shall they seek a vision of the prophet: but their multitude, nor of any of theirs; neither the law shall perish from the priest, and shall there be wailing for them.
counsel from the ancients. 12. The time is come, the day draweth 27. The king shall mourn, and the prince near: let not the buyer rejoice, nor the seller shall be clothed with desolation, and the mourn; for wrath is upon all the multitude hands of the people of the land shall be thereof.
troubled: I will do unto them after their 13. For the seller shall not return to that way, and according to their deserts will I which is sold, although they were yet alive: judge them; and they shall know that I am for the vision is touching the whole multitude the LORD. thereof, which shall not return; neither shall
CHAP. VIII. any strengthen himself in the iniquity of his Ezekiel's vision, 18 God's wrath for idolatry. life.
|| 1. AND it came to pass in the sixth year, 14. They have blown the trumpet, even A in the sixth month, in the fifth day to make all ready; but none goeth to the bat- | of the month, as I sat in my house, and the tle: for my wrath is upon all the multitude elders of Judah sat before me, that the hand thereof.
of the Lord God fell there upon me. 15. The sword is without, and the pesti 2. Then I beheld, and, lo, a likeness as the lence and the famine within: he that is in appearance of fire: from the appearance of the field shall die with the sword; and he his loins, even downward, fire; and from that is in the city, famine and pestilence | his loins, even upward, as the appearance shall devour him.
of brightness, as the colour of amber. 16. But they that escape of them shall || 3. And he put forth the form of a hand, escape, and shall be on the mountains like and took me by the lock of my head, and doves of the valleys, all of them mourning, the spirit lifted me up between the earth and every one for his iniquity.
the heaven, and brought me in the visions of 17. All hands shall be feeble, and all God to Jerusalem, to the door of the inner knees shall be weak as water.
gate that looketh toward the north, where 18. They shall also gird themselves with was the seat of the image of jealousy, which sackcloth, and horror shall cover them; and provoketh to jealousy. shame shall be upon all faces, and baldness 4. And, behold, the glory of the God of upon all their heads.
|| Israel was there, according to the vision that 19. They shall cast their silver in the | 1 saw in the plain. streets, and their gold shall be removed : 5. Then said he unto me, Son of man, lift their silver and their gold shall not be able l' up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the || 18. Therefore will I also deal 'in fury: north, and behold, northward at the gate of mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have the altar, this image of jealousy in the entry. pity; and though they cry in mine ears with
6. He said furthermore unto me, Son of a loud voice, yet will I not hear them. man, seest thou what they do? even the great
. CHAP. IX. abominations that the house of Israel com- || A vision, whereby is shewed the preservation of some, and mitteth here, that I should go far off from
the destruction of the rest. my sanctuary? But turn thee yet again, and 1. L E cried also in mine ears with a loud thou shalt see greater abominations.
I voice, saying, Cause them that have 7. And he brought me to the door of the charge over the city to draw near, even court; and when I looked, behold, a hole in every man with his destroying weapon in the wall.
his hand. 8. Then said he unto me, Son of man, dig 2. And, behold, six men came from the now in the wall: and when I had digged in way of the higher gate, which lieth toward the wall, behold, a door.
the north, and every man a slaughter-weapon 9. And he said unto me, Go in, and be in his hand; and one man among them was hold the wicked abominations that they do clothed with linen, with a writer's ink-horn here.
by his side: and they went in, and stood be10. So I went in and saw; and, behold, side the brazen altar. every form of creeping things, and abomina- 3. And the glory of the God of Israel was ble beasts, and all the idols of the house of Is- gone up from the cherub, whereupon he was, rael, pourtrayed upon the wall round about. to the threshold of the house: and he called
11. And there stood before them seventy to the man clothed with linen, which had men of the ancients of the house of Israel, the writer's ink-horn by his side; and in the midst of them stood Jaazaniah 4. And the LORD said unto him, Go the son of Shaphan, with every man his through the midst of the city, through the censer in his hand; and a thick cloud of midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon incense went up.
the foreheads of the men that sigh, and that 12. Then said he unto me, Son of man, cry, for all the abominations that be done hast thou seen what the ancients of the in the midst thereof. house of Israel do in the dark, every man 5. And to the others he said in my hearing, in the chambers of his imagery? for they Go ye after him through the city, and smite; say, The LORD seeth us not; the LORD || let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: hath forsaken the earth.
6. Say utterly old and young, both maids, 13. He said also unto me, Turn thee yet and little children, and women; but come again, and thou shalt see greater abomina- not near any man upon whom is the mark; tions that they do.
and begin at my sanctuary. Then they 14. Then he brought me to the door of the began at the ancient men which were before gate of the Lord's house which was toward the house. the north ; and, behold, there sat women 7. And he said unto them, Defile the house, weeping for Tammuz.
and fill the courts with the slain; go ye forth. 15. Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen And they went forth, and slew in the city. this, O son of man? Turn thee yet again, 18. And it came to pass, while they were and thou shalt see greater abominations than slaying them, and I was left, that I fell upon these.
my face, and cried, and said, Ah Lord God! 16. And he brought me into the inner wilt thou destroy all the residue of Israel in court of the Lord's house; and, behold, at thy pouring out of thy fury upon Jerusalem! the door of the temple of the LORD, between 9. Then said he unto me, The iniquity of the porch and the altar, were about five and the house of Israel and Judah is exceeding twenty men, with their backs toward the great, and the land is full of blood, and the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward city full of perverseness; for they say, The the east; and they worshipped the sun to- Lord hath forsaken the earth, and the ward the east.
LORD seeth not. 17. Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen 10. And as for me also, mine eye shall this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to not spare, neither will I have pity; but I will the house of Judah that they commit the recompense their way upon their head. abominations which they commit here? for 11. And, behold, the man clothed with they have filled the land with violence, and linen, which had the ink-horn by his side, have returned to provoke me to anger;|| reported the matter, saying, I have done as and, lo, they put the branch to their nose. ll thou hast commanded me.
tona. The Lord's hapura, where sat
2017. Then he saith? Is it a light things the || recompense Thehold, the ma
|| third the face of a lion, and the fourth the The vision of the coals of fire, and of the cherubims, face of an eagle. .. 1. THEN I looked, and, behold, in the 15. And the cherubims were lifted up.
1 firmament that was above the head This is the living creature that I saw by the of the cherubims there appeared over them river of Chebar. as it were a sapphire-stone, as the appear- 1 16. And when the cherubims went, the ance of the likeness of a throne.
wheels went by them; and when the cheru2. And he spake unto the man clothed bims lifted up their wings, to mount up from with linen, and said, Go in between the | the earth, the same wheels also turned not wheels, even under the cherub, and fill thy from beside them. hand with coals of fire from between the 17. When they stood, these stood; and cherubims, and scatter them over the city. when they were lifted up, these lifted up And he went in in my sight.
themselves also: for the spirit of the living 3. Now the cherubims stood on the right creature was in them. side of the house when the man went in; 18. Then the glory of the LORD departed and the cloud filled the inner court. . || from off the threshold of the house, and
4. Then the glory of the LORD went up stood over the cherubims. from the cherub, and stood over the threshold | 19. And the cherubims lifted up their of the house; and the house was filled with wings, and mounted up from the earth in the cloud, and the court was full of the my sight: when they went out, the wheels brightness of the Lord's glory.
also were beside them; and every one stood 5. And the sound of the cherubims' wings at the door of the east gate of the LORD's was heard even to the outer court, as the house; and the glory of the God of Israel voice of the Almighty God when he speak- was over them above. eth.
20. This is the living creature that I saw 6. And it came to pass, that when he had under the God of Israel, by the river of commanded the man clothed with linen, say- Chebar; and I knew that they were the ing, Take fire from between the wheels, from cherubims. between the cherubims; then he went in, 21. Every one had four faces apiece, and and stood beside the wheels.
every one four wings; and the likeness of 7. And one cherub stretched forth his the hands of a man was under their wings. hand from between the cherubims unto the 22. And the likeness of their faces was the fire that was between the cherubims, and same faces which I saw by the river of took thereof, and put it into the hands of Chebar, their appearances and themselves: him that was clothed with linen; who took they went every one straight forward. it, and went out.
CHAP. XI... 8. And there appeared in the cherubims God sheweth Ezekiel his purpose in saving a remnant. the form of a man's hand under their wings. 1. M OREOVER, the spirit listed me up,
9. And when I looked, behold, the four N and brought me unto the east gate wheels by the cherubims, one wheel by one of the Lord's house, which looketh eastcherub, and another wheel by another che- ward: and, behold, at the door of the gate, rub: and the appearance of the wheels was five and twenty men; among whom I saw as the colour of a beryl-stone.
Jaazaniah the son of Azur, and Pelatiah 10. And as for their appearances, they the son of Benaiah, princes of the people. four had one likeness, as if a wheel had been 2. Then said he unto me, Son of man, in the midst of a wheel.
these are the men that devise mischief, and 11. When they went, they went upon give wicked counsel, in this city; their four sides; they turned not as they 3. Which say, It is not near: let us build went, but to the place whither the head houses: this city is the caldron, and we be looked they followed it; they turned not as the flesh. they went.
4. Therefore prophesy against them, pro12. And their whole body, and their backs, | phesy, O son of man. and their hands, and their wings, and the 5. And the Spirit of the LORD fell upon wheels, were full of eyes round about, even me, and said unto me, Speak; Thus saith the wheels, that they four had.
the LORD, Thus have ye said, O house of 13. As for the wheels, it was cried unto Israel: for I know the things that come into them in my hearing, O wheel!
your mind, every one of them. 14. And every one had four faces: the first 6. Ye have multiplied your slain in this face was the face of a cherub, and the se- city, and ye have filled the streets thereof cond face was the face of a man, and the l with the slain.