« PreviousContinue »
ance of the house of Israel, because it was || your beginnings: and ye shall know that I desolate, so will I do unto thee: thou shalt am the LORD. be desolate, O mount Seir, and all Idumea, 12. Yea, I will cause men to walk upon even all of it; and they shall know that I am you, even my people Israel; and they shall the LORD.
possess thee, and thou shalt be their inheritCHAP. XXXVI.
ance, and thou shalt no more henceforth 1 The land of Israel is comforted, fc. 25 The blessings of
bereave them of men. Christ's kingdom.
13. Thus saith the Lord God; Because 1. ALSO, thou son of man, prophesy unto they say unto you, Thou land devourest up
A the mountains of Israel, and say, Yemen, and hast bereaved thy nations; mountains of Israel, hear the word of the 14. Therefore thou shalt devour men no LORD:
more, neither bereave thy nations any more, 2. Thus saith the Lord God; Because saith the Lord God. the enemy had said against you, Aha, even 15. Neitherwill I cause men to hear in thee the ancient high places are ours in possession: the shame of the heathen any more, neither
3. Therefore prophesy and say, Thus | shalt thou bear the reproach of the people saith the Lord God; Because they have any more, neither shalt thou cause thy namade you desolate, and swallowed you up tions to fall any more, saith the Lord God. on every side, that ye might be a possession 16. Moreover the word of the LORD unto the residue of the heathen, and ye are || came unto me, saying, taken up in the lips of talkers, and are an 17. Son of man, when the house of Isinfamy of the people:
rael dwelt in their own land, they defiled it 4. Therefore, ye mountains of Israel, hear by their own way and by their doings: their the word of the Lord GOD; Thus saith the way was before me as the uncleanness of a Lord God to the mountains, and to the hills, removed woman. to the rivers, and to the valleys, to the deso 18. Wherefore I poured my fury upon late wastes, and to the cities thatare forsaken, them for the blood that they had shed upon which became a prey and derision to the the land, and for their idols wherewith they residue of the heathen that are round about; || had polluted it:
5. Therefore thus saith the Lord God; I 19. And I scattered them among the Surely in the fire of my jealousy have I heathen, and they were dispersed through spoken against the residue of the heathen, the countries: according to their way and and against all Idumea, which have ap | according to their doings I judged them. pointed my land into their possession with 20. And when they entered unto the heathe joy of all their heart, with despiteful then, whither they went, they profaned my minds, to cast it out for a prey.
holy name, when they said to them, These 6. Prophesy therefore concerning the land are the people of the LORD, and are gone of Israel, and say unto the mountains, and forth out of his land. to the hills, to the rivers, and to the valleys, 21. 1 But I had pity for my holy name, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I have which the house of Israel had profaned spoken in my jealousy and in my fury, be among the heathen, whither they went cause ye have borne the shame of the heathen: 22. Therefore say unto the house of Is
7. T'herefore thus saith the Lord God; Irael, Thus saith the Lord God; I do not nave lifted up my hand, Surely the heathen this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but that are about you, they shall bear their | for my holy name's sake, which ye have proshame. .
faned among the heathen, whither ye went. 8. | But ye, O mountains of Israel, ye. 23. And I will sanctify my great name, shall shoot forth your branches, and yield | which was profaned among the heathen, your fruit to my people of Israel; for they | which ye have profaned in the midst of are at hand to come.
them; and the heathen shall know that I 9. For behold, I am for you, and I will I am the LORD, saith the Lord God, when I turn unto you, and ye shall be tilled and sown: || shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.
10. And I will multiply men upon you, | 24. For I will take you from among the all the house of Israel, even all of it: and the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, cities shall be inhabited, and the wastes shall and will bring you into your own land. be builded:
25. 1 Then will I sprinkle clean water 11. And I will multiply upon you man upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all and beast; and they shall increase and bring | your filthiness, and from all your idols, will fruit: and I will settle you after your old I cleanse you. estates, and will do better unto you than at ll 26. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I || in the open valley; and, lo, they were very will take away the stony heart out of your dry. flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. 3. And he said unto me, Son of man, can
27. And I will put my Spirit within you, these bones live ? And I answered, O Lord and cause you to walk in my statutes, and God, thou knowest. ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. | 4. Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon
28. And ye shall dwell in the land that I these bones, and say unto them, o ye dry gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my bones, hear the word of the LORD. people, and I will be your God.
5. Thus saith the Lord God unto these 29. I will also save you from all your un- | bones, Behold, I will cause breath to enter cleannesses: and I will call for the corn, || into you, and ye shall live: and will increase it, and lay no famine upon 6. And I will lay sinews upon you, and you.
| will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you 30. And I will multiply the fruit of the with skin, and put breath in you, and ye tree, and the increase of the field, that ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the shall receive no more reproach of famine LORD. among the heathen.
7. So I prophesied as I was commanded: 31. Then shall ye remember your own and as I prophesied there was a noise, and, evil ways, and your doings that were not | behold, a shaking, and the bones came togood, and shall loathe yourselves in your gether, bone to his bone. . own sight for your iniquities, and for your | 8. And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and abominations.
the flesh came up upon them, and the skin 32. Not for your sakes do I this, saith the covered them above: but there was no breath Lord God, be it known unto you: be asham- in them. ed and confounded for your own ways, o 9. Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto house of Israel.
the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to 33. Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day | the wind, Thus saith the Lord God, Come that I shall have cleansed you from all your from the four winds, O breath, and breathe iniquities, I will also cause you to dwell in upon these slain, that they may live. the cities, and the wastes shall be builded. 10. So I prophesied, as-he commanded
34. And the desolate land shall be tilled, || me, and the breath came into them, and whereas it Jay desolate in the sight of all they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an that passed by. .
exceeding great army. 35. And they shall say, This land that 11. Then he said unto me, Son of man, was desolate is become like the garden of these bones are the whole house of Israel: Eden;, and the waste, and desolate, and behold they say,Our bones are dried, and our ruined cities, are become fenced, and are in- hope is lost; we are cut off for our parts. habited.
12. Therefore prophesy, and say unto 36. Then the heathen, that are left round them, Thus saith the Lord God, Behold, about you, shall know that I the Lord build O my people, I will open your graves, and the ruined places, and plant that that was cause you to come up out of your graves, desolate: I the Lord have spoken it, and and bring you into the land of Israel. I will do it.
13. And ye shall know that I am the 37. Thus saith the Lord God, I will yet for LORD, when I have opened your graves, O this be inquired of by the house of Israel to my people, and brought you up out of your do it for them; I will increase them with || graves, men like a flock.
| 14. And shall put my Spirit in you, and 38. As the holy flock, as the flock of Je- ye shall live; and I shall place you in your rusalem in her solemn feasts, so shall the own land: then shall ye know that I the waste cities be filled with flocks of men; and LORD have spoken it, and performed it, they shall know that I am the LORD. saith the LORD. CHAP. XXXVII.
| 15. | The word of the Lord came again 1 The resurrection of dry bones. 21 The promises of Christ's || unto me, saying,. . kingdom.
16. Moreover, thou son of man, take thee 1. THE hand of the LORD was upon me, one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and
I and carried me out in the Spirit of for the children of Israel his companions: the Lord, and set me down in the midst of then take another stick, and write upon it, the valley which was full of bones,
For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for alle 2. And caused me to pass by them round the house of Israel his companions: about: and, behold, there were very many || 17. And join them one to another into ono
stick ; and they shall become one in thy || Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against hand.
him, 18. And when the children of thy people 3. And say, Thus saith the Lord God, shall speak unto thee, saying, Wilt thou | Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief not shèw us what thou meanest by these? || prince of Meshech and Tubal:
19. Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord | 4. And I will turn thee back, and put GOD, Behold, I will take the stick of Jo- hooks into thy jaws, and I will bring thee seph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and forth, and all thine army, horses and horsethe tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put || men, all of them clothed with all sorts of them with him, even with the stick of Judah, || armour, even a great company with bucklers and make them one stick, and they shall be and shields, all of them handling swords. one in my hand.
5. Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya with them, 20. And the sticks whereon thou writest | all of them with shield and helmet: shall be in thy hand before their eyes. 6. Gomer, and all his bands; the house of
21. And say unto them, Thus saith the Togarmah of the north quarters, and all Lord God, Behold, I will take the children | his bands; and many people with thee. of Israel from among the heathen, whither | 7. Be thou prepared, and prepare for thythey be gone, and will gather them on every self, thou, and all thy company that are asside, and bring them into their own land: "sembled unto thee, and be thou a guard
22. And I will make them one nation in unto them. the land upon the mountains of Israel; and 8. After many days thou shalt be visited: one king shall be king to them all: and they ) in the latter years thou shalt come into the shall be no more two nations, neither shall || land that is brought back from the sword, they be divided into two kingdoms any more and is gathered out of many people, against at all:
the mountains of Israel, which have been 23. Neither shall they defile themselves always waste: but it is brought forth out of any more with their idols, nor with their || the nations, and they shall dwell safely all detestable things, nor with any of their trans- of them. gressions: but I will save them out of all their || 9. Thou shalt ascend and come like a dwelling-places wherein they have sinned, storm; thou shalt be like a cloud to cover and will cleanse them: so shall they be my the land, thou and all thy bands, and many people, and I will be their God.
Il people with thee. 24. And David my servant shall be king || 10. Thus saith the Lord God, It shall over them: and they all shall have one also come to pass, that at the same time shepherd: they shall also walk in my judg- || shall things come into thy mind, and thou ments, and observe my statutes, and do them. shalt think an evil thought:
25. And they shall dwell in the land that 11. And thou shalt say, I will go up to I have given unto Jacob my servant, where the land of unwalled villages; I will go to in your fathers have dwelt; and they shall | them that are at rest, that dwell safely, all dwell therein, even they and their children, of them dwelling without walls, and having and their children's children, for ever; and neither bars nor gates, my servant David shall be their prince for | 12. To take a spoil, and to take a prey; ever.
to turn thy hand upon the desolate places. 26. Moreover, I will make a covenant of || that are now inhabited, and upon the peopeace with them; it shall be an everlasting ple that are gathered out of the nations, covenant with them: and I will place them, which have gotten cattle and goods, that and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary || dwell in the midst of the land. in the midst of them for evermore.
13. Sheba, and Dedan, and the merchants 27. My tabernacle also shall be with | of Tarshish, with all the young lions thereof, them; yea, I will be their God, and they shall say unto thee, Art thou come to take shall be my people.
a spoil?' hast thou gathered thy company to 28. And the heathen shall know that I the take a prey? to carry away silver and gold, LORD do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary to take away cattle and goods, to take a shall be in the midst of them for evermore. I great spoil? CHAP. XXXVIII.
14. Therefore, son of man, prophesy and 1 The malice of Gog: 14 God's judgment against him. say unto Gog; Thus saith the Lord God, In 1. AND the word of the LORD came that day when my people of Israel dwellA unto me, saying,
eth safely, shalt thou not know it? 2. Son of man, set thy face against Gog, 15. And thou shalt come from thy place the land of Magog, the chief prince of out of the north parts, thou, and many peo
and they of Tarshish, and Dedan, anad,
ple with thee, all of them riding upon horses, || ple that is with thee: I will give thee unto a great company, and a mighty army: the ravenous birds of every sort, and to the
16. And thou shalt come up against my beasts of the field, to be devoured. people of Israel as a cloud to cover the land; || 5. Thou shalt fall upon the open field; it shall be in the latter days, and I will bring for I have spoken it, saith the Lord God. thee against my land, that the heathen may 6. And I will send a fire on Magog, and know me, when I shall be sanctified in thee, among them that dwell carelessly in the isles; O Gog, before their eyes.
and they shall know that I am the LORD. 17. Thus saith the Lord God, Art thou 7. So will I make my holy name known he of whom I have spoken in old time by in the midst of my people Israel; and I will ny servants the prophets of Israel, which not let them pollute my holy name any more; prophesied in those days many years, that I and the heathen shall know that I am the would bring thee against them
| LORD, the Holy One in Israel. 18. And it shall come to pass at the same 8. Behold, it is come, and it is done, saith time, when Gog shall come against the land the Lord God; this is the day whereof I of Israel, saith the Lord God, that my fury have spoken. shall come up in my face.
9. And they that dwell in the cities of Is19. For in my jealousy, and in the fire rael shall go forth, and shall set on fire and of my wrath, have I spoken, Surely in that burn the weapons, both the shields and the day there shall be a great shaking in the land bucklers, the bows and the arrows, and the of Israel;
hand-staves, and the spears, and they shall 20. So that the fishes of the sea, and the burn them with fire seven years. fowls of the heaven, and the beasts of the 10. So that they shall take no wood out field, and all creeping things that creep of the field, neither cut down any out of upon the earth, and all the men that are the forests; for they shall burn the weapons upon the face of the earth, shall shake at with fire: and they shall spoil those that my presence; and the mountains shall be spoiled them,and rob those that robbed them, thrown down, and the steep places shall saith the Lord God. fall, and every wall shall fall to the ground. 11. And it shall come to pass in that
21. And I will call for a sword against day, that I will give unto Gog a place there him throughout all my mountains, saith the of graves in Israel, the valley of the passenLord God: every man's sword shall bel gers on the east of the sea; and it shall stop against his brother.
the noses of the passengers: and there shall 22. And I will plead against him with they bury Gog, and all his multitude; and pestilence and with blood; and I will rain they shall call it, The valley of Hamon-gog: upon him, and upon his bands, and upon i2. And seven months shall the house of the many people that are with him, an over- || Israel be burying of them, that they may flowing rain, and great hailstones, fire and cleanse the land. brimstone.
13. Yea, all the people of the land shall 23. Thus will I magnify myself, and bury them; and it shall be to them a renown, sanctify myself; and I will be known in the the day that I shall be glorified, saith the eyes of many nations; and they shall know Lord God. that I am the LORD.
14. And they shall sever out men of con CHAP. XXXIX.
tinual employment, passing through the land, 1 God's judgments upon Gog. 8 Israel's victory. 17 The to bury with the passengers those that refeast of the fowls and beasts.
main upon the face of the earth, to cleanse 1. THEREFORE, thou son of man, pro- | it: after the end of seven months shall they
I phesy against Gog, and say, Thus | search. saith the Lord God, Behold, I am against | 15. And the passengers that pass through thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech || the land, when any seeth a man's bone, then and Tubal;
shall he set up a sign by it, till the buriers 2. And I will turn thee back, and leave | have buried it in the valley of Hamon-gos; but the sixth part of thee, and will cause 16. And also the name of the city shau thee to come up from the north parts, and be Hamonah. Thus shall they cleanse ti will bring thee upon the mountains of Israel: | land.
3. And I will smite thy bow out of thy | 17. | And, thou son of man, thus saith left hand, and will cause tbine arrows to || Lord God, Speak unto every featne fall out of thy right hand.
fowl, and to every beast of the field, Assem. 4. Thou shalt fall upon the mountains of ble yourselves, and come; gather you Israel, thou, and all thy bands, and the peo-l on every side to my sacrifice that .
phes ord GoChief Pro
crifice for you, even a great sacrifice upon || into the land of Israel, and set me upon a the mountains of Israel, that ye may eat very high mountain, by which was as the flesh, and drink blood.
frame of a city on the south. 18. Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty, | 3. And he brought me thither, and, beholu, and drink the blood of the princes of the there was a man, whose appearance was like earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bul- | the appearance of brass, with a line of flax locks, all of them fatlings of Bashan. in his hand, and a measuring-reed; and he
19. And ye shall eat fat till ye be full, stood in the gate. and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my 4. And the man said unto me, Son of man, sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you. behold with thine eyes, and hear with thine
20. Thus ye shall be filled at my table ears, and set thy heart úpon all that I shall with horses and chariots, with mighty men, shew thee; for to the intent that I might shew and with all men of war, saith the Lord God. | them unto thee art thou brought hither: de
21. And I will set my glory among the clare all that thou seest to the house of heathen, and all the heathen shall see my || Israel. judgment that I have executed, and my 5. And, behold, a wall on the outside of hand that I have laid upon them. I the house round about, and in the man's
22. So the house of Israel shall know that hand a measuring-reed of six cubits long, by I am the LORD their God from that day and the cubit; and a hand-breadth: so he meaforward.
sured the breadth of the building one reed, 23. And the heathen shall know that the and the height one reed. house of Israel went into captivity for their | 6. Then came he unto the gate which iniquity: because they trespassed against | looketh toward the east, and went up the me, therefore hid I my face from then, and stairs thereof, and measured the threshold gave them into the hand of their enemies; of the gate, which was one reed broad, and so fell they all by the sword.
the other threshold of the gate, which was 24. According to their uncleanness, and one reed broad. according to their transgressions, have I | 7. And every little chamber was one reed done unto them, and hid my face from them. || long, and one reed broad; and between the
25. Therefore thus saith the Lord God, little chambers were five cubits; and the Now will I bring again the captivity of Ja. threshold of the gate, by the porch of the cob, and have mercy upon the whole house gate within, was one reed. of Israel, and will be jealous for my holy 8. He measured also the porch of the name;
gate within, one reed. 26. After that they have borne their shame, I 9. Then measured he the porch of the gate, and all their trespasses, whereby they have eight cubits; and the posts thereof, two cutrespassed against me, when they dweltbits; and the porch of the gate was inward. safely in their land, and none made them | 10. And the little chambers of the gate easta. afraid.
ward were three on this side, and three on 27. When I have brought them again from that side; they three were of one measure : the people, and gathered them out of their and the posts had one measure on this side enemies' lands, and am sanctified in them and on that side. in the sight of many nations;
11. And he measured the breadth of the 28. Then shall they know that I am the entry of the gate, ten cubits; and the length LORD their God, which caused them to be of the gate, thirteen cubits. led into captivity among the heathen: but I L. 12. The space also before the little chamhave gathered them unto their own land, bers was one cubit on this side, and the space and have left none of them any more there. was one cubit on that side; and the little
29. Neither will I hide my face any more chambers were six cubits on this side, and from them: for I have poured out my Spirit six cubits on that side. upon the house of Israel, saith the Lord God. | 13. He measured then the gate from the CHAP. XL.
| roof of one little chamber to the roof of The time, manner, and end of Ezekiel's vision. another: the breadth was five and twenty 1. TN the five and twentieth year of our cubits, door against door.
I captivity, in the beginning of the year, 14. He made also posts of threescore cuin the tenth day of the month, in the four- bits, even unto the post of the court round teenth year after that the city was smitten, | about the gate. in the self-same day the hand of the LORD | 15. And from the face of the gate of the was upon me, and brought me thither. l entrance, unto the face of the porch of the • 2. In the visions of God brought he me ll inner gate, were fifty cubits.
gate. Theil toe and the pihe gate the ga