« PreviousContinue »
8. Ephraim shall say, What have I to do these things? prudent, and he shall know any more with idols ? I have heard him, and them? for the ways of the LORD are right, observed him: I am like a green fir-tree. and the just shall walk in them: but the From me is thy fruit found.
transgressors shall fall therein. 9. Who is wise, and he shall understand
sembly, gather the elders, and all the inha1 Joel, declaring sundry judgments of God, exhorteth to ob- || bitants of the land, into the house of the
serve them, and to mourn : 14 He prescribeth a fast. LORD your God, and cry unto the LORD, 1. INHE word of the LORD that came || 15. Alas for the day! for the day of the
I to Joel, the son of Pethuel. LORD is at hand, and as a destruction from 2. Hear this, ye old men, and give ear, all the Almighty shall it come. ye inhabitants of the land. Hath this been 16. Is not the meat cut off before your in your days, or even in the days of your eyes, yea, joy and gladness from the house fathers ?
of our God? 3. Tell ye your children of it, and let your 17. The seed is rotten under their clods, children tell their children, and their chil- the garners are laid desolate, the barns are dren another generation;
| broken down; for the corn is withered. 4. That which the palmer-worm hath left,| 18. How do the beasts groan! the herds hath the locust eaten; and that which the of cattle are perplexed, because they have locust hath left, hath the canker-wormeaten; no pasture; yea, the flocks of sheep are and that which the canker-worm hath left, made desolate. hath the caterpillar eaten.
19. O LORD, to thee will I cry: for the 5. Awake, ye drunkards, and weep; and fire hath devoured the pastures of the wilderhowl, all ye drinkers of wine, because of the ness, and the flame hath burnt all the trees new wine; for it is cut off from your mouth. of the field.
6. For a nation is come up upon my land, 20. The beasts of the field cry also unto strong, and without number, whose teeth thee: for the rivers of waters are dried up, are the teeth of a lion, and he hath the cheek- and the fire hath devoured the pastures of teeth of a great lion.
the wilderness. 7. He hath laid my vine waste, and bark
CHAP. II. ed my ng-tree; ne natn made it clean pare, I The terribleness of God's judgments : 12 He exhorteth to and cast it away; the branches thereof are repentance, 18 and promiseth a blessing thereon. made white.
1. DLOW ye the trumpet in Zion, and 8. Lament like a virgin girded with sack-I D sound an alarm in my holy moun. cloth for the husband of her youth.
tain: let all the inhabitants of the land 9. The meat-offering and the drink-offer- tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, ing is cut off from the house of the LORD: for it is nigh at hand: the priests, the Lord's ministers, mourn. 2. A day of darkness, and of gloominess,
10. The field is wasted, the land mourn- a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as eth; for the corn is wasted: the new wine the morning spread upon the mountains: a is dried up, the oil languisheth.
great people and a strong; there hath not 11. Be ye ashamed, O ye husbandmen; been ever the like, neither shall be any more howl, O ye vine-dressers, for the wheat and after it, even to the years of many generations. for the barley; because the harvest of the 3. A fire devoureth before them; and befield is perished.
hind them a flame burneth: the land is as 12. The vine is dried up, and the fig-tree the garden of Eden before them, and behind languisheth; the pomegranate-tree, the palm them a desolate wilderness; yea, and no tree also, and the apple-tree, even all the thing shall escape them. trees of the field, are withered: because joy 4. The appearance of them is as the apis withered away from the sons of men. lpearance of horses; and as horsemen, so
13. Gird yourselves, and lament, ye priests; shall they run. howl, ye ministers of the altar; come, lie | 5. Like the noise of chariots on the tops all night in sackcloth, ye ministers of my of mountains shall they leap, like the noise God: for the meat-offering and the drink-of- of a flame of fire that devoureth the stubble, fering is withholden from the house of your as a strong people set in battle array. God.
6. Before their facethe people shall be much 14. Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn as- | pained; all faces shall gather blackness.
7. They shall run like mighty men; they || come up, and his ill savour shall come up, shall climb the wall like men of war; and because he hath done great things. they shall march every one on his ways, and 21. Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: they shall not break their ranks:
for the LORD will do great things. 8. Neither shall one thrust another, they 22. Be not afraid, ye beasts of the field: shall walk every one in his path: and when for the pastures of the wilderness do spring, they fall upon the sword, they shall not be for the tree beareth her fruit, the fig-tree and wounded.
the vine do yield their strength. 9. They shall run to and fro in the city; || 23. Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and they shall run upon the wall; they shall rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath climb up upon the houses; they shall enter given you the former rain moderately, and in at the windows like a thief
he will cause to come down for you the rain, 10. The earth shall quake before them; the former rain, and the latter rain in the the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the first month. moon shall be dark, and the stars shall 24. And the floors shall be full of wheat, withdraw their shining;
and the fats shall overflow with wine and oil. 11. And the LORD shall utter his voice 25. And I will restore to you the years before his army; for his camp is very great: that the locust hath eaten, the canker-worm, for he is strong that executeth his word: for and the caterpillar, and the palmer-worm, the day of the LORD is great and very terri- || my great army, which I sent among you. ble; and who can abide it?
26. And ye shall eat in plenty, and be - 12. Therefore also now, saith the LORD, satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD Turn ye even to me with all your heart, and your God, that hath dealt wondrously with with fasting, and with weeping, and with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. mourning;
27. And ye shall know that I am in the 13. And rend your heart, and not your midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: your God, and none else: and my people for he is gracious and merciful, slow to an || shall never be ashamed. ger, and of great kindness, and repenteth 28. And it shall come to pass afterward, him of the evil.
that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh; 14. Who knoweth if he will return and and your sons and your daughters shall repent, and leave a blessing behind him, prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, even a meat-offering, and a drink-offering, your young men shall see visions: unto the LORD your God?
29. And also upon the servants and upon 15. Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a the handmaids in those days will I pour fast, call a solemn assembly:
out my Spirit. 16. Gather the people, sanctify the congre- | 30. And I will show wonders in the heagation, assemble the elders, gather the chil- || vens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and dren, and those that suck the breasts; let the pillars of smoke. bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the 31. The sun shall be turned into darkbride out of her closet:
ness, and the moon into blood, before the 17. Let the priests, the ministers of the great and the terrible day of the LORD come. LORD, weep between the porch and the 32. And it shall come to pass, that whosoaltar, and let them say, Spare thy people, O ever shall call on the name of the LORD shall LORD, and give not thy heritage to reproach, | be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jethat the heathen should rule over them: rusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD wherefore should they say among the people, || hath said, and in the remnant whom the Where is their God?
LORD shall call. 18. Then will the Lord be jealous for
CHAP. III. . his land, and pity his people.
God's judgments against the enemies of his people. 19. Yea, the LORD will answer, and say || 1. LVOR, behold, in those days, and in unto his people, Behold, I will send you corn, ' that time, when I shall bring again and wine, and oil, and ye shall be satisfied | the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem, therewith; and I will no more make you a | 2. I will also gather all nations, and will reproach among the heathen.
| bring them down into the valley of Jehosha20. But I will remove far off from you the phat, and will plead with them there for my northern army, and will drive him into all people, and for my heritage Israel, whom land barren and desolate, with his face to- || they have scattered among the nations, and ward the east sea; and his hinder part to- | parted my land. ward the utmost sea: and his stink shall I 3. And they have cast lots for my people:
and have given a boy for a harlot, and sold | 13. Put ye in the sickle; for the harvest is a girl for wine, that they might drink. ripe: come, get you down; for the press is
4. Yea, and what have ye to do with me, full, the fats overflow; for the wickedness O Tyre, and Zidon, and all the coasts of is great. Palestine? will ye render me a recompense? 14. Multitudes, multitudes in the valley and if ye recompense me, swiftly and speed- of decision: for the day of the LORD is near ily will I return your recompense upon your in the valley of decision. . own head:
15. The sun and the moon shall be dark. 5. Because ye have taken my silver and ened, and the stars shall withdraw their my gold, and have carried into your temples shining. my goodly pleasant things.
16. The LORD also shall roar out of Zion, 6. The children also of Judah, and the and utter his voice from Jerusalem: and the children of Jerusalem, have ye sold unto the heavens and the earth shall shake: but the Grecians, that ye might remove them far | LORD will be the hope of his people, and the from their border.
strength of the children of Israel. . 7. Behold, I will raise them out of the 17. So shall ye know that I am the LORD place whither ye have sold them, and will your God dwelling in Zion, my holy mounreturn your recompense upon yourown head:tain: then shall Jerusalem be holy, and there
8. And I will sell your sons and your shall no strangers pass through her any daughters into the hand of the children of more. Judah, and they shall sell them to the Sa- || 18. And it shall come to pass in that day, beans, to a people far off: for the LORD that the mountains shall drop down new hath spoken it.
wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and 9. Proclaim ye this among the Gentiles ; | all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all | and a fountain shall come forth of the house the men of war draw near, let them come up: of the Lord, and shall water the valley of , 10. Beat your plough-shares into swords, Shittim. and your pruning-hooks into spears: let the 19. Egypt shall be a desolation, and Edom weak say, I am strong.
shall be a desolate wilderness, for the vio11. Assemble yourselves, and come, all | lence against the children of Judah, because ye heathen, and gather yourselves together they have shed innocent blood in their land. round about; thither cause thy mighty ones 20. But Judah shall dwell for ever, and to come down, O LORD.
Jerusalem from generation to generation. 12. Let the heathen be wakened, and come 21. For I will cleanse their blood that I up to the valley of Jehoshaphat: for there will have not cleansed: for the LORD dwelleth I sit to judge all the heathen round about. I in Zion.
|| and cut off the inhabitant from the plain of Amos showeth God's judgments upon Syria, &c. Aven, and him that holdeth the sceptre from 1. THE words of Amos, who was among the house of Eden: and the people of Syria
1 the herdmen of Tekoa, which he saw | shall go into captivity unto Kir, saith the concerning Israel in the days of Uzziah king || LORD. of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam the 6. 1 Thus saith the LORD, For three transson of Joash king of Israel, two years before gressions of Gaza, and for four, I will not the earthquake...,
turn away the punishment thereof; because 2. And he said, The LORD will roar from they carried away captive the whole capZion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; |tivity, to deliver them up to Edom: and the habitations of the shepherds shall | 7. But I will send a fire on the wall of mourn, and the top of Carmel shall wither. Gaza, which shall devour the palaces thereof:
3. Thus saith the LORD, For three trans- 8. And I will cut off the inhabitant from gressions of Damascus, and for four, I will | Ashdod, and him that holdeth the sceptre not turn away the punishment thereof; be from Ashkelon; and I will turn my hand cause they have threshed Gilead with thresh- | against Ekron: and the remnant of the ing-instruments of iron:
Philistines shall perish, saith the Lord GOD. 4. But I will send a fire into the house of 9. T Thus saith the LORD, For three Hazael, which shall devour the palaces of transgressions of Tyrus, and for four, I will Ben-hadad.
not turn away the punishment thereof; be5. I will break also the bar of Damascus, ll cause they delivered up the whole captivity
3. Ths of Damascumishment there thresh- | againsines shall perishthe LORD
to Edom, and remembered not the brotherly | 8. And they lay themselves down upon · covenant:
| clothes laid to pledge by every altar, and 10. But I will send a fire on the wall they drink the wine of the condemned in of Tyrus, which shall devour the palaces the house of their god. thereof.
9. Yet destroyed I the Amorite before 11. Thus saith the LORD, For three them, whose height was like the height of transgressions of Edom, and for four, I will the cedars, and he was strong as the oaks not turn away the punishment thereof; be- yet I destroyed his fruit from above, and his cause he did pursue his brother with the roots from beneath. sword, and did cast off all pity, and his |_ 10. Also I brought you up from the land of anger did tear perpetually, and kept his Egypt, and led you forty years through the wrath for ever:
wilderness, to possess the landof the Amorite. 12. But I will send a fire upon Teman, 11. And I raised up of your sons for prowhich shall devour the palaces of Bozrah. phets, and of your young men for Nazarites.
13. 1 Thus saith the LORD, For three Is it not even thus, O ye children of Israel? transgressions of the children of Ammon, saith the LORD. and for four, I will not turn away the punish 12. But ye gave the Nazarites wine to ment thereof; because they have ripped up || drink; and commanded the prophets, saying, the women with child of Gilead, that they | Prophesy not. might enlarge their border:
| 13. Behold, I am pressed under you, as a 14. But I will kindle a fire in the wall of cart is pressed that is full of sheaves. Rabbah, and it shall devour the palaces 14. Therefore the flight shall perish from thereof, with shouting in the day of battle, the swift, and the strong shall not strengthen with a tempest in the day of the whirlwind: | his force, neither shall the mighty deliver
15. And their king shall go into captivity, || himself: he and his princes together, saith the LORD. 15. Neither shall he stand that handleth CHAP. II.
the bow; and he that is swift of foot shall I God's wrath against Moab, 4 upon Judah, 6 and upon
not deliver himself: neither shall he that Israel. 9 God complaineth of their unthankfulness. rideth the horse deliver himself: 1. THUS saith the Lord, for three trans- | 16. And he that is courageous among the
1 gressions of Moab, and for four, I mighty shall flee away naked in that day, will not, turn away the punishment thereof;|| saith the Lord. because he burnt the bones of the king of
CHAP. III. Edom into lime; i
I The necessity of God's judgment against Israel: 9 The 2. But I will send a fire upon Moab, and publication of it, with the causes thereof. It shall devour the palaces of Kirioth; and 1. LTEAR this word that the Lord hath Moab shall die with tumult, with shouting, I spoken against you, O children of and with the sound of the trumpet: Israel, against the whole family which I
3. And I will cut off the judge from the brought up from the land of Egypt, saying, midst thereof, and will slay all the princes 2. You only have I known of all the famithereof with him, saith the LORD.
lies of the earth: therefore I will punish you 4. I Thus saith the LORD, For three trans- for all your iniquities. gressions of Judah, and for four, I will not || 3. Can two walk together except they be turn away the punishment thereof; because agreed ? they have despised the law of the Lord, || 4. Will a lion roar in the forest when he and have not kept his commandments, and hath no prey? will a young lion cry out of their lies caused them to err, after the which his den if he have taken nothing? their fathers have walked;
1 5. Can a bird fall in a snare upon the 5. But I will send a fire upon Judah, and | earth where no gin is for him? shall one it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem. ll take up a snare from the earth, and have
6. T Thus saith the LORD, For three trans- | taken nothing at all? gressions of Israel, and for four, I will not 1 6. Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, turn away the punishment thereof; because and the people not be afraid? shall there be they sold the righteous for silver, and the evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it? poor for a pair of shoes;
7. Surely the Lord God will do nothing, 7. That' pant after the dust of the earth | but he revealeth his secret unto his servants on the head of the poor, and turn aside the the prophets.. way of the meek; and a man and his father 8. The lion hath roared, who will not will go in unto the same maid, to profane my fear? the Lord God hath spoken, who can holy name:
ll but prophesy?
9. Publish in the palaces at Ashdod, and to the harvest: and I caused it to rain upon in the palaces in the land of Egypt, and say, one city, and caused.it not to rain upon an: Assemble yourselves upon the mountains of other city: one piece was rained upon, and Samaria, and behold the great tumults in the piece whereupon it rained not withered. the midst thereof, and the oppressed in the 8. So two or three cities wandered unto midst thereof.
one city, to drink water; but they were not 10. For they know not to do right, saith satisfied : yet have ye not returned unto me, the LORD, who store up violence and robbery saith the LORD. in their palaces.
9. I have smitten you with blasting and 1. Therefore thus saith the Lord God, mildew: when your gardens, and your vine An adversary there shall be even round yards, and your fig-trees, and your oliveabout the land; and he shall bring down trees increased, the palmer-worm devoured thy strength from thee, and thy palaces shall them: yet have ye not returned unto me, be spoiled.
saith the LORD. 12. Thus saith the LORD, As the shepherd || 10. I have sent among you the pestilence, taketh out of the mouth of the lion two legs, after the manner of Egypt: your young men or a piece of an ear; so shall the children of have I slain with the sword, and have taken Israel be taken out that dwell in Samaria in away your horses ; and I have made the the corner of a bed, and in Damascus in a stink of your camps to come up unto your couch.
nostrils: yet have ye not returned unto me, 13. Hear ye, and testify in the house of saith the LORD. Jacob, saith the Lord God, the God of hosts. | 11. I have overthrown some of you, as
14. That in the day that I shall visit the God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and transgressions of Israel upon him, I will also ye were as a firebrand plucked out of the visit the altars of Beth-el; and the horns of the burning: yet have ye not returned unto me, altar shall be cut off, and fall to the ground. saith the LORD.
15. And I will smite the winter-house 12. Therefore thus will I do unto thee, O with the summer-house; and the houses of Israel: and because I will do this unto thee, ivory shall perish, and the great houses shall prepare to meet thy God, O Israel. have an end, saith the Lord.
13. For, lo, he that formeth the mounCHAP. IV.
tains, and createth the wind, and declareth i Israel reproved for oppression, 4 for idolatry, 6 and for | unto man what is his thought, that maketh their incorrigibleness.
the morning darkness, and treadeth upon the 1. UTEAR this word, ye kine of Bashan, || high places of the earth, The LORD, the God
I that are in the mountain of Samaria, || of hosts, is his name. which oppress the poor, which crush the
CHAP. V. needy, which say to their masters, Bring, | 1 A lamentation for Israel. 4 An exhortation to repenlance. and let us drink.
21 God rejecteth their hypocritical service. 2. The Lord God hath sworn by his holi-1. 1 FEAR ye this word which I take up ness, that, lo, the days shall come upon you, I against you, even a lamentation, O that he will take you away with hooks, and house of Israel. your posterity with fish-hooks.
2. The virgin of Israel is fallen; she shall 3. And ye shall go out at the breaches, no more rise: she is forsaken upon her land; every cow at that which is before her; and ye there is none to raise her up. shall cast them into the palace, saith the 3. For thus saith the Lord God, The city LORD.
that went out by a thousand shall leave a 4. Come to Beth-el and transgress; at Gil- || hundred, and that which went forth by a hungal multiply transgression; and bring your dred shall leave ten, to the house of Israel. sacrifices every morning, and your tithes 4. For thus saith the LORD unto the house after three years;
of Israel, Seek ye me, and ye shall live. 5. And offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving 5. But seek not Beth-el, nor enter into with leaven, and proclaim and publish the Gilgal, and pass not to Beer-sheba: for Gligal free-offerings; for this liketh you, O ye chil- shall surely go into captivity, and Beth-el dren of Israel, saith the Lord God.
shall come to nought. 6. And I also have given you cleanness 6. Seek the LORD, and ye shall liv of teeth in all your cities, and want of bread he break out like fire in the house of Joseph, in all your places; yet have ye not returned and devour it, and there be none to quench unto me, saith the LORD.
it in Beth-el. 7. And also I have withholden the rain 7. Ye who turn judgment to wormwood from you, when there were yet three months and leave off righteousness in the earth,