« PreviousContinue »
10. Now therefore let me alone, that my || hath any gold, let them break it off. So wrath may wax hot against them, and that they gave it me: then I cast it into the fire, I may consume them: and I will make of and there came out this calf. thee a great nation,
25. And when Moses saw that the peo11. And Moses besought the Lord his ple were naked, (for Aaron had made them God, and said, LORD, why doth thy wrath naked unto their shame, among their enewax hot against thy people, which thou hast mies, brought forth out of the land of Egypt with 26. Then Moses stood in the gate of the great power, and with a mighty hand ? camp, and said, Who is on the Lord's)
12. Wherefore should the Egyptians side ? let him come unto me. And all the speak and say, For mischief did he bring sons of Levi gathered themselves together them out, to slay them in the mountains, and || unto him. to consume them from the face of the earth? 27. And he said unto them, Thus saith Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his this evil against thy people:
sword by his side, and go in and out from 13. Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Is- gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay rael, thy servants, to whom thou swarest every man his brother, and every man his by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I companion, and every man his neighbour. will multiply your seed as the stars of 28. And the children of Levi did accordheaven; and all this land that I have spoken ing to the word of Moses : and there fell of of will I give unto your seed, and they shall the people that day about three thousand inherit it for ever.
men. 14. And the LORD repented of the evil 29. For Moses had said, Consecrate which he thought to do unto his people. yourselves to-day to the LORD, even every
15. f And Moses turned, and went down man upon his son, and upon his brother; from the mount, and the two tables of the | that he may bestow upon you a blessing testimony were in his hand : the tables were this day.
atten on both their sides : on the one side | 30. And it came to pass on the morrow, and on the other were they written. that Moses said unto the people, Ye have
16. And the tables were the work of God, sinned a great sin: and now I will go up and the writing was the writing of God, unto the LORD ; Peradventure I shall make graven upon the tables.
an atonement for your sin. 17. And when Joshua heard the noise of 31. And Moses returned unto the LORD, the people as they shouted, he said unto and said, Oh, this people have sinned a Moses, There is a noise of war in the camp. great sin, and have made them gods of gold;
18. And he said, It is not the voice of 32. Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin : 1 them that shout for mastery, neither is it the and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy voice of them that cry for being overcome ; || book which thou hast written. but the noise of them that sing do I hear. 33. And the LORD said unto Moses,
19. And it came to pass, as soon as he || Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the ||I blot out of my book. cals, and the dancing: and Moses' anger | 34. Therefore now go, lead the people waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of | unto the place of which I have spoken unto his hands, and brake them beneath the mount. thee: behold, mine angel shall go before
20. And he took the calf which they had thee: nevertheless, in the day when I visit, made, and burnt it in the fire, and ground it I will visit their sin upon them. to powder, and strewed it upon the water, 35. And the LORD plagued the people, and made the children of Israel drink of it because they made the calf, which Aaron
21. And Moses said unto Aaron, What made. did this people unto thee, that thou hast
CHAP. XXXIII. brought so great a sin upon them?
|| 1 The Lord refuseth to go, as he had promised, with the
people. 9 The lord talketh familiarly with Moses. 22. And Aaron said, Let not the anger || 12 Moses desireth to see the glory of God. of my lord wax hot: thou knowest the 1. AND the Lord said unto Moses, Depeople, that they are set on mischief.
A part, and go up hence, thou and the 23. For they said unto me, Make us gods people which thou hast brought up out of which shall go before us : for as for this the land of Egypt, unto the land which 1 Moses, the man that brought us up out of sware unto Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jathe land of Egypt, we wot not what is be- cob, saying, Unto thy seed will I give it. come of him.
2. And I will send an angel before thee; 24. And I said unto them, Whosoever and I will drive out the Canaanite, the
that brough for as for this people which wedi o up hence, thom
ada bithout the car wioses my barang will take
Amorite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, || 16. For wherein shall it be known here the Hivite, and the Jebusite:
that I and thy people have found grace 3. Unto a land flowing with milk and in thy sight? Is it not in that thou goest honey : for I will not go up in the midst of with us? So shall we be separated, I and thee; for thou art a stiff-necked people ; lest thy people, from all the people that are upon I consume thee in the way.
the face, of the earth. 4. And when the people heard these evil 17. And the LORD said unto Moses, 1 tidings, they mourned; and no man did put will do this thing also that thou hast on him his ornaments.
spoken: for thou hast sound grace in my 5. For the LORD had said unto Moses, sight, and I know thee by name. Say unto the children of Israel, Ye are a 18. And he said, I beseech thee, show me stiff-necked people: I will come up into the thy glory. midst of thee in a moment, and consume 19. And he said, I will make all my goodthee: therefore now put off thy ornaments ness pass before thee, and I will proclaim from thee, that I may know what to do the name of the LORD before thee; and unto thee.
will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, 6. And the children of Israel stripped and will show mercy on whom I will show themselves of their ornaments by the mount mercy. Horeb.
20. And he said, Thou canst not see my 7. | And Moses took the tabernacle, and face: for there shall no man see me and live. pitched it without the camp, afar off from 21. And the LORD said, Behold, there is the camp, and called it, The Tabernacle a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a of the Congregation. And it came to pass, rock: that every one which sought the LORD | 22. And it shall come to pass, while my went out unto the tabernacle of the con glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a gregation, which was without the camp. cleft of the rock, and will cover thee with
8. And it came to pass, when. Moses my hand while I pass by: went out unto the tabernacle, that all the 23. And I will take away mine hand, and people rose up, and stood every man at his thou shalt see my back parts; but my face tent-door, and looked after Moses, until he shall not be seen. was gone into the tabernacle.
CHAP. XXXIV. 9. And it came to pass, as Moses entered 1 The tables are renewed. 5 The name of the LORD prointo the tabernacle, the cloudy pillar de
claimed. 10 God maketh a covenant with them. 28 Moses
cometh down with the tables : 29 His face shinelh, and he scended, and stood at the door of the taber covereth it with a vail. nacle, and the LORD talked with Moses. 1. AND the LORD said unto Moses,
10. And all the people saw the cloudy | A Hew thee two tables of stone like pillar stand at the tabernacle-door: and all unto the first; and I will write upon these the people rose up and worshipped, every | tables the words that were in the first man in his tent-door.
| tables, which thou brakest. 11. And the LORD spake unto Moses 2. And be ready in the morning, and face to face, as a man speaketh unto his come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, friend. And he turned again into the camp: and present thyself there to me in the top but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, of the mount. a young man, departed not out of the 3. And no man shall come up with thee, tabernacle.
|| neither let any man be seen throughout all 12. And Moses said unto the LORD, See, the mount; neither let the flocks nor herds thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: feed before that mount. and thou hast not let me know whom thou 4. And he hewed two tables of stone, wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I like unto the first : and Moses rose up early know thee by name, and thou hast also in the morning, and went up unto mount found grace in my sight.
Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, 13. Now, therefore, I pray thce, if I have and took in his hand the two tables of stone. found grace in thy sight, show me now thy 5. And the Lord descended in the cloud, way, that I may know thee, that I may find and stood with him there, and proclaimed grace in thy sight; and consider that this the name of the LORD. . nation is thy people.
6. And the LORD passed by before him. 14. And he said, My presence shall go and proclaimed, The LORD, the LORD God, with thee, and I will give thee rest.. merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and
15. And he said unto him, If thy presence abundant in goodness and truth, go not with me, carry us not up hence. 7. Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving
foul13. Now, the thy sight; se, that I may this the naand the L.The LORI
iniquity and transgression and sin, and that || seventh day thou shalt rest: in earnig-time will by no means clear the guilty; visiting and in harvest thou shalt rest. the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, ll 22. And thou shalt observe the feast of and upon the children's children, unto the || weeks, of the first-fruits of wheat-harvest, third and to the fourth generation.
and the feast of in-gathering at the year's 8. And Moses made haste, and bowed end. his head toward the earth, and worship- | 23. Thrice in the year shall all your menped.
children appear before the Lord God, the 9. And he said, If now I have found | God of Israel. grace in thy sight, O LORD, let my Lord, I 24. For I will cast out the nations bepray thee, go among us; for it is a stiff-neck- fore thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither ed people; and pardon our iniquity and our shall any man desire thy land, when thou sin, and take us for thine inheritance. shalt go up to appear before the LORD thy
10. And He said, Behold, I make a cove- || God thrice in the year. nant: before all thy people I will do mar- | 25. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my vels, such as have not been done in all the sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacri. earth, nor in any nation: and all the people fice of the feast of the passover be left unto among which thou art shall see the work of the morning. the LORD; for it is a terrible thing that 1 26. The first of the first-fruits of thy land will do with thee.
thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord 11. Observe thou that which I command thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his thee this day; Behold, I drive out before mother's inilk. thee the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and 27. And the LORD said unto Moses, the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hiv- | Write thou these words: for after the tenor ite, and the Jebusite.
of these words have I made a covenant 12. Take heed to thyself, lest thou make with thee and with Israel. a coretant with the inhabitants of the land l 28. And he was there with the LORD forwhither thou goest, lest it be for a snare inty days and forty nights; he did neither eat the midst of thee:
bread nor drink water. And he wrote upon 13. But ye shall destroy their altars, break the tables the words of the covenant, the ten their images, and cut down their groves: commandments.
14. For thou shalt worship no other god: 29. | And it came to pass, when Moses for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a came down from mount Sinai with the two jealous God:
tables of testimony in Moses' hand, when 15. Lest thou make a covenant with the he came down from the mount, that Moses inhabitants of the land, and they go a whor- | wist not that the skin of his face shone ing after their gods, and do sacrifice unto || while He talked with him. their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat | 30. And when Aaron and all the children of this sacrifice;
of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his 16. And thou take of their daughters unto | face shone : and they were afraid to come thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring nigh him. after their gods, and make thy sons go al 31. And Moses called unto them; and whoring aster their gods.
Aaron and all the rulers of the congregation 17. Thou shalt make thee no molten | returned unto him: and Moses talked with gods.
them. 18. The feast of unleavened bread shalt 32. And afterward all the children of thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat un- Israel came nigh: and he gave them in leavened bread, as I commanded thee, in commandment all that the LORD had spoken the time of the month Abib: for in the with him in mount Sinai. month Abib thou camest out from Egypt. 33. And till Moses had done speaking
19. All that openeth the matrix is mine; with them, he put a vail on his face. and every firstling among thy cattle, whetherl. 34. But when Moses went in before the ox or sheep, that is male.
LORD, to speak with Him, he took the vail 20. But the firstling of an ass thou shalt off until he came out. And he came out, redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem and spake unto the children of Israel that him not, then shalt thou break his neck. which he was commanded. All the first-born of thy sons thou shalt re- 35. And the children of Israel saw the deem: and none shall appear before me face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face empty.
shone: and Moses put the vail upon his face 21. Six days thou shalt work; but on the ll again, until he went in to speak with Him.
20. 1 And all the congregation of the chil2 The sabbath. 4 The free gifts for the tabernacle. 30 Beo || dren of Israel departed from the presence
zaleel and Aholiab are called to the work. of Moses. 1. AND Moses gathered all the congre- 21. And they came, every one whose
A gation of the children of Israel toge- | heart stirred him up, and every one whom ther, and said unto them, These are the his spirit made willing, and they brought words which the Lord hath commanded, the LORD's offering to the work of the tathat ye should do them.
bernacle of the congregation, and for all his 2. Six days shall work be done; but on service, and for the holy garments. the seventh day there shall be to you a holy | 22. And they came, both men and woday, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whoso- men, as many as were willing-hearted, and ever doeth work therein shall be put to brought bracelets, and ear-rings, and rings, death.
and tablets, all jewels of gold: and every 3. Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your man that offered, offered an offering of gold habitations upon the sabbath-day.
unto the LORD. 4. And Moses spake unto all the con- 23. And every man with whom was gregation of the children of Israel, saying, found blue, and purple, and scarlet, and This is the thing which the LORD com- fine linen, and goats' hair, and red skins of manded, saying,
rams, and badgers' skins, brought them. 1 5. Take ye from among you an offering 24. Every one that did offer an offering of unto the LORD: whosoever is of a willing silver and brass brought the Lord's otler(heart, let him bring it, an offering of the ing: and every man with whom was found LORD; gold, and silver, and brass,
shittim-wood, for any work of the service, 6. And blue, and purple, and scarlet, and brought it. fine linen, and goats' hair,
25. And all the women that were wise7. And rams' skins dyed red, and badg- hearted did spin with their hands, and ers' skins, and shittim-wood,
| brought that which they had spun, both of 8. And oil for the light, and spices for blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of anointing oil, and for the sweet incense, fine linen.
9. And onyx-stones, and stones to be set, 26. And all the women whose heart for the ephod, and for the breastplate. stirred them up in wisdom spun goats' hair.
10. And every wise-hearted among you 27. And the rulers brought onyx-stones, shall come, and make all that the LORD and stones to be set, for the ephod, and for hath commanded;
the breastplate: 11. The tabernacle, his tent, and his co- 28. And spice, and oil for the light, and vering, his taches, and his boards, his bars, for the anointing oil, and for the sweet his pillars, and his sockets,
incense. 12. The ark and the staves thereof, with 29. The children of Israel brought a willing the mercy-seat, and the vail of the covering, offering unto the LORD, every man and
13. The table and his staves, and all his woman, whose heart made them willing to vessels, and the show-bread,
bring, for all manner of work which the 14. The candlestick also, for the light, LORD had commanded to be made by the and his furniture, and his lamps, with the oil hands of Moses. for the light,
30. 9 And Moses said unto the children of 15. And the incense-altar, and his staves, Israel, See, the Lord hath called by name and the anointing oil, and the sweet incense, Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of and the hanging for the door at the entering the tribe of Judah; in of the tabernacle,
31. And he hath filled him with the spirit 16. The altar of burnt-offering, with his of God, in wisdom, in understanding, and in brazen grate, his 'staves, and all his vessels, knowledge, and in all manner of workmanthe laver and his foot,
ship; 17. The hangings of the court, his pil. 32. And to devise curious works, to work lars, and their sockets, and the hanging for in gold, and in silver, and in brass, the door of the court,
33. And in the cutting of stones to set 18. The pins of the tabernacle, and the them, and in carving of wood, to make any pins of the court, and their cords,
manner of cunning work. 19. The clothes of service, to do service 34. And he hath put in his heart that in the holy place, the holy garments for he may teach, both he and Aholiab the son Aaron the priest, and the garments of his of Ahisamach of the tribe of Dan. sons, to minister in the priest's office. 35. Thein hath he filled with wisdom of heart, to work all manner of work, of the || curtain which was in the coupling of the seengraver, and of the cunning workman, and cond: the loops held one curtain to another. of the embroiderer, in blue, and in purple, | 13. And he made histy taches of gold, and in scarlet, and in fine linen, and of the coupled the curtains one unto another with weaver, eren of them that do any work, the taches : so it became one tabernacle. and of those that devise cunning work. 14. And he made curtains of goats' hair CHAP. XXXVI.
for the tent over the tabernacle ; eleven curThe offerings are delivered to the workmen. tians he made them. 1. THEN wrought Bezaleel and Aho | 15. The length of one curtain was thirty
1 liab, and every wise-hearted man, cubits, and four cubits was the breadth of one in whom the LORD put wisdom and under- || curtain: the eleven curtains were of one size. standing, to know how to work all manner | 16. And he coupled five curtains by of work for the service of the sanctuary, themselves, and six curtains by themselves. according to all that the LORD had com 17. And he made fifty loops upon the manded.
uttermost edge of the curtain in the coupling, 2. And Moses called Bezaleel and Aho- and fifty loops made he upon the edge of the liab, and every wise-hearted man, in whose curtain which coupleth the second. heart the LORD had put wisdom, even every 18. And he made fifty taches of brass to. one whose heart stirred him up to come couple the tent together, that it might be one. unto the work to do it:
I 19. And he made a covering for the tent 3. And they received of Moses all the l of rams' skins dyed red, and a covering offering which the children of Israel had of badgers' skins above thut. brought for the work of the service of the 20. And he made boards for the tabersanctuary, to make it withal. And they nacle of shittim-wood, standing up. brought yet unto him free-offerings every | 21. The length of a board was ten cubits, morning.
and the breadth of a board one cubit and 4. And all the wise men, that wrought a half. all the work of the sanctuary, came every | 22. One board had two tenons, equally man from his work which they made; distant one from another: thus did he make
5. And they spake unto Moses, saying, for all the boards of the tabernacle. The people bring much more than enough 23. And he made boards for the taberfor the service of the work which the LORD nacle: twenty boards for the south side, commanded to make.
southward. 6. And Moses gave commandment, and 24. And forty sockets of silver he made they caused it to be proclaimed through- under the twenty boards: two sockets unout the camp, saying, Let neither man norder one board for his two tenons, and two woman make any more work for the offer-sockets under another board for his two ing of the sanctuary. So the people were tenons. restrained from bringing.
25. And for the other side of the taberna7. For the stuff they had was sufficient cle, which is toward the north corner, he for all the work to make it, and too much. made twenty boards,
8. And every wise-hearted man among 26. And their forty sockets of silver: two them that wrought the work of the taberna- sockets under one board, and two sockets cle, made ten curtains of fine twined linen, |under another board. and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with | 27. And for the sides of the tabernacle cherubims of cunning work made he them. westward he made six boards.
9. The length of one curtain was twenty |28. And two boards made he for the corand eight cubits, and the breadth of one ners of the tabernacle in the two sides. curtain four cubits: the curtains were all || 29. And they were coupled beneath, and of one size.
|| coupled together at the head thereof, to one 10. And he coupled the five curtains one | ring: thus he did to both of them in both unto another; and the other five curtains he |the corners. coupled one unto another.
30. And there were eight boards; and 11. And he made loops of blue on the their sockets were sixteen sockets of silver, edge of one curtain, from the selvage in the under every board two sockets. coupling: likewise he made in the utter- | 31. And he made bars of shittim-wood: most side of another curtain, in the coupling | five for the boards of the one side of the of the second. .
tabernacle, 12. Fifty loops made he in one curtain, 32. And five bars for the boards of the and fifty loops made he in the edge of the other side of the tabernacle, and five bars