« PreviousContinue »
is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into an antichrist.
your house, neither bid bim God speed: 8. Look to yourselves, that we lose not 11. For he that biddeth him God speed those things which we have wrought, but is partaker of his evil deeds. that we receive a full reward.
12. Having many things to write unto 9. Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth you, I would not write with paper and ink: not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. but I trust to come unto you, and speak He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, face to face, that our joy may be full. he hath both the Father and the Son. 13. The children of thine elect sister
10. If there come any unto you, and I greet thee. Amen.
| The Third Epistle of JOHN. 1 He commendeth Gaius for his piety, 5 and hospitalily to || that we might be fellow-helpers to the truth.
true preachers : 9 he censureth Diotrephes, and threaleneth him for his ambitious opposition, 11 whose evil
9. I wrote unto the church: but Diotreexample is not to be followed.
phes, who loveth to have the pre-emninence 1. THE elder unto the well-beloved Gai- among them, receiveth us not. * I us, whom I love in the truth.
10. Wherefore, if I come, I will remem2. Beloved, I wish above all things that ber his deeds which he doeth, prating against thou mayest prosper and be in health, even | us with malicious words: and not content as thy soul prospereth.
|| therewith, neither doth he himself receive 3. For 1 rejoiced greatly, when the bre- || the brethren, and forbiddeth them that thren came and testified of the truth that is would, and casteth them out of the church. in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth. | 11. Beloved, follow not that which is
4. 1 have no greater joy than to hear evil, but that which is good. He that doeth that my children walk in truth.
good, is of God: but he that doeth evil hath 5. Beloved, thou doest faithfully what not seen God. soever thou doest to the brethren, and to 12. Demetrius hath good report of all men, strangers ;
and of the truth itself: yea, and we also bear 6. Which have borne witness of thy cha- ||
| record, and ye know that our record is true; rity before the church: whom if thou bring | 13. I had many things to write, but I forward on their journey after a godly sort, will not with ink and pen write unto thee: thou shalt do well :
· 14. But I trust I shall shortly see thee, 7. Because that for his name's sake they and we shall speak face to face. Peace went forth, taking nothing of the Gentiles. | be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Greet
8. We therefore ought to receive such, ll the friends by name.
The General Epistle of JUDE. 1 Jude exhorteth Christians to constancy in the received | brance, though ye once knew this, how that faith : 4 he forelelleth the punishment of certain false the Lord, having saved the people out of teachers, foc.
the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed 1. TUDE, the servant of Jesus Christ, them that believed not.
J and brother of James, to them that 6. And the angels which kept not their are sanctified by God the Father, and pre-first estate, but left their own habitation, he served in Jesus Christ, and called: hath reserved in everlasting chains, under
2. Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, darkness,unto the judgment of the great day. be multiplied.
7. Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and 3. Beloved, when I gave all diligence to the cities about them, in like manner giving write unto you of the common salvation, it themselves over to fornication, and going afwas needful for me to write unto you, and ter strange flesh, are set forth for an examexhort you that ye should earnestly con- ple, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. tend for the faith which was once delivered || 8. Likewise also these filthy dreamers unto the saints.
defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak 4. For there are certain men crept in evil of dignities. unawares, who were before of old ordained ||
19. Yet Michael the archangel, when, to this condemnation, ungodly men, turn-ij contending with the devil, he disputed ing the grace of our God into lascivious- || | about the body of Moses, durst not bring ness, and denying the only Lord God, and against him a railing accusation, but said, our Lord Jesus Christ.
The Lord rebuke thee. 5. I will therefore put you in remem- || 10. But these speak evil of those things
which they know not: but what they knowing men's persons in admiration because naturally, as brute beasts, in those things of advantage. they corrupt themselves.
17. But, beloved, remember ye the words 1. Wo unto them! for they have gone which were spoken before of the apostles in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after of our Lord Jesus Christ; the error of Balaam for reward, and perish | 18. How that they told you there should ed in the gainsaying of Core.
be mockers in the last time, who should 12. These are spots in your feasts of walk after their own ungodly lusts. charity, when they feast with you, feeding 19. These be they who separate themthemselves without fear: clouds they are selves, sensual, having not the Spirit. without water, carried about of winds ; |20. But ye, beloved, building up yourtrees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, selves on your most holy faith, praying in twice dead, plucked up by the roots; the Holy Ghost,
13. Raging waves of the sea, foaming out 21. Keep yourselves in the love of God, "their own shame; wandering stars, to whom | looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus is reserved the blackness of darkness forever. | Christ unto eternal life.
14. And Enoch also, the seventh from 22. And of some have compassion, makAdam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, || ing a difference: the Lord cometh with ten thousand of his 23. And others save with fear, pulling saints,
them out of the fire; hating even the gar15. To execute judgment upon all, and ment spotted by the flesh. to convince all that are ungodly among | 24. Now unto him that is able to keep them of all their ungodly deeds which they you from falling, and to present you faulthave ungodly committed, and of all their less before the presence of his glory with hard speeches which ungodly sinners have exceeding joy, spoken against him.
25. To the only wise God our Saviour, 16. These are murmurers, complainers, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, walking after their own lusts; and their both now and ever. Amen. mouth speaketh great swelling words, hav- ||
| The REVELATION of St. JOHN the Divine.
| every eye shall see him, and they also which 4 John's salviation to the seven churches. 7 The coming | pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth
of Christ: 14 his glorious power and majesty. shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. 1. THE revelation of Jesus Christ, which 8. I am Alpha and Omega, the begin
I God gave unto him, to shew unto ning and the ending, saith the Lord, which his servants things which must shortly come is, and which was, and which is to come, to pass; and he sent and signified it by his the Almighty. angel unto his servant John :
9. I John, who also am your brother, and 2. Who bare record of the word of God, companion in tribulation, and in the king. and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and | dom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in of all things that he saw.
the isle that is called Patmos, for the word 3. Blessed is he that readeth, and they of God, and for the testimonyof Jesus Christ. that hear the words of this prophecy, and 10. I was in the Spirit on the Lord's keep those things which are written there- day, and heard behind me a great voice, in : for the time is at hand.
as of a trumpet, 4. TOHN to the seven churches which are 11. Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the
in Asja: Grace be unto you, and first and the last: and, What thou seest, peace, from him which is, and which was, write in a book, and send it unto the seven and which is to come; and from the seven churches which are in Asia ; unto Ephesus, Spirits which are before his throne; and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamós, and
5. And from Jesus Christ, who is the unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto faithful witness, and the first-begotten of | Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea. the dead, and the prince of the kings of the 12. And I turned to see the voice that earth. Unto him that loved us, and wash- || spake with me. And being turned, I saw od us from our sins in his own blood, I seven golden candlesticks;
6. And hath made us kings and priests 13. And in the midst of the seven candleunto God and his Father; to him be glory sticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. || with a garment down to the foot, and girt
7. Behold, he cometh with clouds; and I about the paps with a golden girdle.
14. His head and his hairs were white, 9. I know thy works, and tribulation, and like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes poverty, (but thou art rich,) and I know the were as a flame of fire ;
blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, 15. And his feet like unto fine brass, as and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. if they burned in a furnace; and his voice | 10. Fear none of those things which as the sound of many waters.
thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall 16. And he had in his right hand seven cast some of you into prison, that ye may stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten two-edged sword; and his countenance was days: be thou faithful unto death, and 1 as the sun shineth in his strength.
will give thee a crown of life. 17. And when I saw him, I fell at his | 11. He that hath an ear, let him hear feet as dead. And he laid his right hand what the Spirit saith unto the churches; upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the first and the last :
the second death. 18. I am he that liveth, and was dead ; 12. And to the angel of the church in Per and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; gamos write; These things saith he which and have the keys of hell and of death. hath the sharp sword with two edges;
19. Write the things which thou hast 13. I know thy works, and where thou seen, and the things which are, and the dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and things which shall be hereafter;
thou holdest fast my name, and hast not de20. The mystery of the seven stars which nied my faith, even in those days wherein thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven || Antipas was my faithsul martyr, who was golden candlesticks. The seven stars are slain among you, where Satan dwelleth. the angels of the seven churches: and the || 14. But I have a few things against seven candlesticks which thou sawest, are thee, because thou hast there them that the seven churches.
hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught CHAP. II.
Balak to cast a stumbling-block before the 1 What John was commanded to wrile to the angels of the
children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed churches of Ephesus, 8 Smyrna, 12 Pergamos, 18 and || unto idols, and to commit fornication. Thyatira.
15. Sohast thou also them that holdthedoc1. TINTO the angel of the church of trine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
Ephesus write; These things saith | 16. Repent; or else I will come unto he that holdeth the seven stars in his right thee quickly, and will fight against them hand, who walketh in the midst of the with the sword of my mouth. seven golden candlesticks;
17. He that hath an ear, let him hear what 2. I know thy works, and thy labour, the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him and thy patience, and how thou canst not that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidbear them which are evil: and thou hast den manna, and will give him a white stone, tried them which say they are apostles, and and in the stone a new name written, which are not, and hast found them liars : no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
3. And hast borne, and hast patience, | 18. And unto the angel of the church in and for my name's sake hast laboured, and Thyatira write; These things saith the Son hast not fainted.
of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame 4. Nevertheless I have somewhat against of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; thee, because thou hast left thy first love. 19. I know thy works, and charity, and
5. Remeinber therefore from whence thou service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; works; and the last to be more than the first. or else I will come unto thee quickly, and ll 20. Notwithstanding, I have a few things will remove thy candlestick out of his place, against thee, because thou sufferest that except thou repent.
woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a 6. But this thou hast, that thou hatest the prophetess, to teach and to seduce my serdeeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. I vants to commit fornication, and to eat
7. He that hath an ear, let him hear things sacrificed unto idols. what the Spirit saith unto the churches ; |21. And I gave her space to repent of To him that overcometh will I give to eat her fornication, and she repented not. of the tree of life, which is in the midst of | 22. Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and the paradise of God.
li them that commitadulterywith herinto great 8. And unto the angel of the church in tribulation, except they reperrt of their deeds. Smyrna write; These things saith the first 23. And I will kill her children with and the last, which wa's dead, and is alive; I death; and all the churches shall know
that I am he which searcheth the reins and || thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. hearts: and I will give unto every one of | 10.Because thou hast kept the word of my you according to your works.'
ll patience, I also will keep thee from the hour 24. But unto you I say, and unto the of temptation, which shall come upon all the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. doctrine, and which have not known the | 11. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put | which thou hast,that noman take thy crown. upon you none other burden:
12. Him that overcometh will I make a 25. But that which ye have already,hold pillar in the temple of my God,and he shall go fast till I come.
| no more out: and I will write upon him the 26. And he that overcometh, and keep- | name of my God, and the name of the city eth my works unto the end, to him will I of my God, which is New Jerusalem, which give power over the nations :
cometh down out of heaven from my God: 27. (And he shall rule them with a rod and I will wrile upon him my new name. of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they || 13. He that hath an ear, let him hear be broken to shivers:) even as I received what the Spirit saith unto the churches. of my Father.
14. And unto the angel of the church of 28. And I will give him the morning star. |the Laodiceans write; These things saith
29. He that hath an ear, let him hear the Amen, the faithful and true witness, what the Spirit saith unto the churches. the beginning of the creation of God; CHAP. III.
15. I know thy works, that thou art neither 1 What John was commanded to write to the angels of the cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
churches of Sardis, 7 Philadelphia, 14 and Laodicea. || 16. So then, because thou art lukewarin, 1. AND unto the angel of the church in and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee
A Sardis write; These things saith he out of my mouth: that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the 17. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and inseven stars; I know thy works, that thou creased with goods,and have need of nothing; hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. || and knowest not that thou art wretched, and
2. Be watchful, and strengthen the things miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: which remain, that are ready to die: for I|| 18. I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried have not found thy works perfect before God. in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and
3. Remember therefore how thou hast | wbite raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, received and heard, and hold fast, and re- and that the shame of thy nakedness do not pent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyewill come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt salve, that thou mayest see. not know what hour I will come upon thee. | 19. As many as I love, I rebuke and!
4. Thou hast a few names even in Sar- || chasten : be zealous therefore, and repenti dis which have not defiled their garments; | 20. Behold, I stand at the door, and and they shall walk with me in white: for knock: if any man hear my voice, and they are worthy.
open the door, I will come in to him, and 5. He that overcometh, the same shall will sup with him, and he with me. be clothed in white raiment; and I will | 21. To him that overcometh will I grant not blot out his name out of the book of to sit with me in my throne, even as I also life, but I will confess his name before my overcame, and am set down with my Fa. Father, and before his angels.
ther in his throne. 6. He that hath an ear, let him hear 22. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. what the Spirit saith unto the churches. 7. And to the angel of the church in Phi
CHAP. IV. ladelphia write; These things saith he that
1 John seeth the throne of God in heaven. 4 The four and is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key || troenty elders. 6 The forer beasts full of cyes before and of David, he that openeth, and no man shut-|| behind, fc. teth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; || 1. AFTER this I looked, and, behold, al
8. I know thy works: behold, I have set A door was opened in heaven: and the before thee an open door, and no man can first voice which I heard was as it were of shutit: for thou hast a little streugth, and hast a trumpet talking with me; which said, kept my word, and hast not denied my name. Come up hither, and I will shew thee things
9. Behold, I will make them of the sy- which must be hereafter. nagogue of Satan, which say they are 2. And immediately I was in the Spirit: Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will land, behold, a throne was set in heaven, make them to come and worship before l and one sat on the throne.
3. And he that sat was to look upon like the throne and of the four beasts, and in a jasper and a sardine-stone: and there was the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb, as a rainbow round about the throne, in sight it had been slain, having seven horns and like unto an emerald.
ll seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of 4. And round about the throne were four | God sent forth into all the earth. and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw | 7. And he came and took the book out of four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in the right handof him that sat upon the throne. white raiment; and they had on their heads 18. And when he had taken the book, the crowns of gold.
four beasts and four and twenty elders fell 5. And out of the throne proceeded light-down before the Lamb, having every one nings and thunderings and voices. And there of them harps, and golden vials full of were seven lamps of fire burning before the odours, which are the prayers of saints. throne, which are the seven Spirits of God. 9. And they sung a new song, saying,
6. And before the throne there was a sea of || Thou art worihy to take the book, and to glass, like unto crystal. And in the midst of open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, the throne, and round about the throne, were and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood, four beasts, full of eyes before and behind. out of every kindred, and tongue, and peo
7. And the first beast was like a lion, and ple, and nation; the second beast like a calf, and the third 10. And hast made us unto our God kings beast had a face as a man, and the fourth and priests: and we shall reign on the earth, beast was like a flying eagle.
11. And I beheld, and I heard the voice 8. And the four beasts had each of them of many angels round about the throne, six wings about him; and they were full of and the beasts, and the elders : and the eyes within: and they rest not day and night, number of them was ten thousand times saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Al- | ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, mighty, which was, and is, and is to come. 12. Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is
9. And when those beasts give glory, || the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and honour, and thanks, to him that sat on and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, honour, and glory, and blessing.
10. The four and twenty elders fall down 13. And every creature which is in hea. before him that sat on the throne, and wor-ven, and on the earth, and under the earth, ship him that liveth for ever and ever, and and such as are in the sea, and all that are cast their crowns before the throne, saying, in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and
11. Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive honour, and glory, and power, be unto him glory, and honour, and power: for thou hast | that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the created all things, and for thy pleasure they | Lamb for ever and ever. are and were created.
14. And the four beasts said, Amen. And CHAP. V.
the four and twenty elders fell down and 1 The book sealed with seven seals, which no man is wor. || worshipped him that liveth forever and ever. thy to open : 6 the Lamb openeth the book : the beasts
CHAP. VI. and elders praise him.
The opening of six of the seals in order, and what followND I saw in the right hand of him
ed thereupon. A that sat on the throne a book writ || 1. AND I saw, when the Lamb opened ten within and on the back side, sealed with I one of the seals, and I heard, as it seven seals.
were the noise of thunder, one of the four 2. And I saw a strong angel proclaiming || beasts, saying, Come and see. with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open | 2. And I saw, and behold a white horse ; the book, and to loose the seals thereof? and he that sat on him had a bow; and a
3. And no man in heaven, nor in earth, || crown was given unto him; and he went neither under the earth, was able to open forth conquering, and to conquer. the book, neither to look thereon.
3. And when he had opened the second 4. And I wept much, because no man | seal, I heard the second beast say, Come was found worthy to open and to read the and see. book, neither to look thereon.
4. And there went out another horse 5. And one of the elders saith unto me, ll that was red: and power was given to him Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of that sat thereon to take peace from the Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to earth, and that they should kill one another: open the book, and to loose the seven seals and there was given unto him a great sword. thereof.
5. And when he had opened the third 6. And I beheld, and lo, in the midst of li seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and