« PreviousContinue »
and brimstone in the presence of the holy || servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: saying, Great and marvellous are thy works,
ii. And the smoke of their torment as- Lord God Almighty ; just and true are thy cendeth up for ever and ever: and they ways, thou King of saints. have no rest day nor night, who worship | 4. Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and the beast and his image, and whosoever | glorify thy name ? for thou only arl holy: receiveth the mark of his name.
for all nations shall come and worship before 12. Here is the patience of the saints: thee; for thy judgments are made manifest. here are they that keep the commandments 5. And after that I looked, and, behold, of God, and the faith of Jesus.
the temple of the tabernacle of the testi13. And I heard a voice from heaven, || mony in heaven was opened : saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the 6. And the seven angels came out of the dead which die in the Lord from hence- temple, having the seven plagues, clothed
forth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may in pure and white linen, and having their 'rest from their labours; and their works do breasts girded with golden girdles. follow them.
7. And one of the four beasts gave unto 14. And I looked, and behold, a white the seven angels seven golden vials, full of cloud, and upon the cloud one sat, like unto the wrath of God, who liveth for ever and the Son of man, having on his head a gold-ever. en crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle. 8. And the temple was filled with smoke
15. And another angel came out of the from the glory of God, and from his powtemple, crying with a loud voice to him er; and no man was able to enter into the that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, temple, till the seven plagues of the seven and reap: for the time is come for thee to angels were fulfilled. reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.
CHAP. XVI. 16. And he that sat on the cloud, thrust Seven angels commanded to pour out their vials on the in his sickle on the earth; and the earth earth: 2 great plagues follow thereupon. 15 Christ was reaped.
cometh suddenlij. 17. And another angel came out of the 1. AND I heard a great voice out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having || A temple, saying to the seven angels, a sharp sickle.
| Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the 18. And another angel came out from wrath of God upon the earth. the altar, which had power over fire ; and 2. And the first went, and poured out his cried with a loud cry to him that had the vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp some and grievous sore upon the men sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine which had the mark of the beast, and upon of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe. || them which worshipped his image.
19. And the angel thrust in his sickle . 3. And the secondangel poured out his vial into the earth, and gathered the vine of upon the sea;and it became as the blood of a the earth, and cast it into the great wine-deadman: and everyliving soul died in the sea. press of the wrath of God.
4. And the third angel poured out his 20. And the wine-press was trodden with | vial upon the rivers and fountains of waout the city, and blood came out of the wine- || ters; and they became blood. press, even unto the horse-bridles, by the 5. And I heard the angel of the waters space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs. say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, CHAP. XV.
and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast 1 The seven angels with the seven last plagues. 3 The song
judged thus. of them that overcome the beast. 7 The seven vials full 6. For they have shed the blood of saints of the wrath of God.
and prophets, and thou hast given them 1. AND I saw another sign in heaven, blood to drink; for they are worthy.
A great and marvellous, seven angels 7. And I heard another out of the altar having the seven last plagues; for in them say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true is filled up the wrath of God.
and righteous are thy judgments. 2. And I saw as it were a sea of glass 8. And the fourth angel poured out his : mingled with fire; and them that had got vial upon the sun; and power was given
ten the victory over the beast, and over his unto him to scorch men with fire.
which hath power over these plagues : and 3. And they sing the song of Moses the || they repented not to give him glory.'
Stolith 2 Euph that
10. And the fifth angel poured out bis || 3. So be carried me away in the spirit into vial upon the seat of the beast; and his | the wilderness : and I saw a woman sit upon kingdom was full of darkness; and they | ascarlet-coloured beast, full of names of blasgnawed their tongues for pain,
phemy, having seven heads and ten horns. 11. And blasphemed the God of heaven 4. And the woman was arrayed in purvecause of their pains and their sores, and ple and scarlet colour, and decked with repented pot of their deeds.
gold, and precious stones, and pearls, having 12. And the sixth angel poured out his a golden cup in her hand full of abominavial upon the great river Euphrates ; and the tions and filthiness of her fornication : water thereof was dried up, that the way || 5. And upon her forehead was a name of the kings of the east might be prepared. || written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE
13. And I saw three unclean spirits like GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARfrogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, LOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF and out of the mouth of the beast, and out THE EARTH. of the mouth of the false prophet.
6. And I saw the woman drunken with 14. For they are the spirits of devils, the blood of the saints, and with the blood working miracles, which go forth unto the of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw kings of the earth, and of the whole world, her, I wondered with great admiration. to gather them to the battle of that great 117. And the angel said unto me, Whereday of God Almighty.
fore didst thou marvel ? I will tell thee the 15. Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is | mystery of the woman, and of the beast he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, that carrieth her, which bath the seven lest he walk naked, and they see his shame. heads and ten horns.
16. And he gathered them together into | 8. The beast that thou sawest, was, and a place called in the Hebrew tongue Ar is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless mageddon.
pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell 17. And the seventh angel poured out on the earth shall wonder, (whose names his vial into the air; and there came a great Il were not written in the book of life from the voice out of the temple of heaven, from the foundation of the world,) when they behold throne, saying, It is done.
the beast that was, and is not, and yet is. 18. And there were voices, and thun- 9. And here is the mind which hath wisders, and lightnings; and there was a great dom. The seven heads are seven mounearthquake, such as was not since mentains, on which the woman sitteth. were upon the earth, so mighty an earth- |10. And there are seven kings: five are quake, and so great.
fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet 19. And the great city was divided into come; and when he cometh, he must conthree parts, and the cities of the nations fell : | tinue a short space. and great Babylon came in remembrance 11. And the beast that was, and is not, before God, to give unto her the cup of the even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, wine of the fierceness of his wrath. ll and goeth into perdition.
20. And every island fled away, and the 12. And the ten horns which thou sawmountains were not found.
est are ten kings, which have received no 21. And there fell upon men a great hai) || kingdom as yet; but receive power as out of heaven, every stone about the weight | kings one hour with the beast. of a talent: and men blasphemed God be. || 13. These have one mind, and shall give cause of the plague of the hail; for the their power and strength unto the beast. plague thereof was exceeding great.
14. These shall make war with the Lamb, CHAP. XVII.
and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he 3.4 A woman arrayed in purple and scarlet, with a golden is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and cup in her hand, silleth upon the beast ; 5 her name : 6 ||
are called, and she is drunken with the blood of the saints. 7 The in- || they that are with him
terpretation of the seven heads and the ten horns, &c. ll chosen, and faithful. 1. AND there came one of the seven an 15. And he saith unto me, The waters
Al gels which had the seven vials, and which thou sawest, where the whore sittalked with me, saying untome, Come hither; | teth, are peoples, and multitudes, and naI will shew unto thee the judgment of the || tions, and tongues. great whore that sitteth upon many waters: | 16. And the ten horns which thou sawest
2. With whom the kings of the earth | upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, have committed fornication, and the inha- || and shall make her desolate and naked, and biters of the earth have been made drunk || shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire. with the wine of her fornication.
17. For God hath put in their hearts to
fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their || 13. And cinnamon, and odours, and ointkingdom unto the beast, until the words of ments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, God shall be fulfilled.
and fine four, and wheat, and beasts, and 18. And the woman which thou sawest sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, is that great city, which reigneth over the || and souls of men. kings of the earth.
14. And the fruits that thy soul lusted CHAP. XVIII.
after are departed from thee, and all things 2 The fall of Babylon: 4 God's people commanded to go which were dainty and goodly are departqut of her, fe.
ed from thee, and thou shalt find them no 1. AND after these things I saw another || more at all.
A angel come down from heaven, l 15. The merchants of these things, which having great power; and the earth was were made rich by her, shall stand afar off lightened with his glory.
|| for fear of her torment, weeping and wailing, 2. And he cried mightily with a strong || 16. And saying, Alas, alas, that great voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is | city, that was clothed in fine linen, and fallen, and is become the habitation of de- purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, vils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and and precious stones, and pearls ! a cage of every unclean and hateful bird. 17. For in one hour so great riches is
3. For all nations have drunk of the wine | come to nought. And every ship-master, and of the wrath of her fornication, and the all the company in ships, and sailors, and kings of the earth have committed forni- || as many as trade by sea, stood afar off, cation with her, and the merchants of the |13. And cried when they saw the smoke earth are waxed rich through the abun- of her burning, saying, What city is like dance of her delicacies.
| unto this great city! 4. And I heard another voice from hea- 19. And they cast dust on their heads, ven, saying, Come out of her, my people, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, · that ye be not partakers of her sins, and Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were that ye receive not of her plagues.
made rich all that had ships in the sea by 5. For hersins have reached unto heaven, reason of her costliness ! for in one hour is and God hath remembered her iniquities. she made desolate.
6. Reward her even as she rewarded 20. Rejoice over her, thou heaven, and sou, and double unto her double according lye holy apostles and prophets; for God to her works: in the cup which she hath hath avenged you on her. filled, fill to her double.
21. And a mighty angel took up a stone 7. How much she hath glorified herself, | like a great millstone, and cast it into the and lived deliciously, so much torment and sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, great city Babylon be thrown down, and I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall || shall be found no more at all. see no sorrow.
22. And the voice of harpers, and musi8. Therefore shall her plagues come in cians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be one day, death, and mourning, and famine ; || heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsand she shall be utterly burned with fire: man,of whatsoever craft he be,shall be found for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her. I any more in thee; and the sound of a mill
9. And the kings of the earth, who have stone shall be heard no more at all in thee; committed fornication and lived deliciously U 23. And the light of a candle shall shine with her shall bewail her,and lament for her, || no more at all in thee; and the voice of the when they shall see the smokeof herburning, || bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard
10. Standing afar off for the fear of her no more at all in thee: for thy merchants torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city were the great men of the earth; for by thy Babylon, that mighty city ! for in one hour | sorceries were all nations deceived. is thy judgment come.
24. And in her was found the blood of 11. And the merchants of the earth shall || prophets, and of saints, and of all that were weep and mourn over her; for no man buy- slain upon the earth. eth their merchandise any more:
CHAP. XIX. 12. The merchandise of gold, and silver, 1 God is praised in heaven for judging the great whore, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine
ar linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and The forcls called to the great slaughter. all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of 1. AND after these things I heard a great ivory, and all manner vessels of most pre- A voice of much people in heaven, cious wood,andofbrass,and iron,and marble, ll saying, Alleluia ; Salvation, and glory, and
of the Lamb. 10 The angel will not be worshipped. 17
honour, and power, unto the Lord our God: || to all the fowls that fly in the midst of hea.
2. For true and righteous are his judg. ven, Come and gather yourselves together ments: for he hath judged the great whore, unto the supper of the great God; which did corrupt the earth with her forni | 18. That ye may eat the flesh of kings, cation, and hath avenged the blood of his and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of servants at her hand.
mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of 3. And again they said, Alleluia. And them that sit on them, and the flesh of all her smoke rose up for ever and ever. men,both free and bond,both small and great.
4. And the four and twenty elders and 19. And I saw the beast, and the kings the four beasts fell down and worshipped of the earth, and their armies, gathered toGod that sat on the throne, saying, Amen; gether to make war against him that sat Alleluia.
on the horse, and against his army. 5. And a voice came out of the throne, ll 20. And the beast was taken, and with saying, Praise our God, all ye his servants, || bim the false prophet that wrought miraand ye that fear him, both small and great.cles before him, with which he deceived
6. And I heard as it were the voice of a them that had received the mark of the great multitude, and as the voice of many || beast, and them that worshipped his image. waters, and as the voice of mighty thun- These both were cast alive into a lake of derings, saying, Alleluia ; for the Lord God | fire burning with brimstone. omnipotent reigneth.
21. And the remnant were slain with the 7. Let us be glad and rejoice, and give ho- | sword of him that sat upon the horse, which pour to him : for the marriage of the Lamb is sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all come, and his wife hath made herself ready. I the fowls were filled with their flesh. 8. And to her was granted, that she should
CHAP. XX. be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white : for 2 Satan bound for a thousand years. 5 The first resur
rection : 6 they blessed that have part therein. 7 Satta the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
let loose again. 10 The devil cast into the lake of fire 9. And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed and brinistone. 11 The general resurrection. are they which are called unto the mar 1. AND I saw an angel come down from riage-supper of the Lamb. And he saith | A heaven, having the key of the botunto me, These are the true sayings of God. || tomless pit, and a great chain in his hand.
10. And I fell at his feet to worship him. || 2. And he laid hold on the dragon, that And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I | old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, am thy fellow-servant, and of thy brethren | and bound him a thousand years, that have the testimony of Jesus: worship i 3. And cast him into the bottomless pit, God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spi- and shut him up,and set a seal upon him, that rit of prophecy.
he should deceive the nationsnomore,till the 11. And I saw heaven opened, and be thousand years should be fulfilled : and af. hold, a white horse ; and he that sat upouter that he must be loosed a little season. him was called Faithful and True; and in 4. And I saw thrones, and they sat upon righteousness he doth judge and make war. || them, and judgment was given unto them:
12. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and and I saw the souls of them that were beon his head were many crowns; and he headed for the witness of Jesus, and for had a name written, that no man knew the word of God, and wbich had not worbut he himself.
shipped the beast, neither his image, neither 13. And he was clothed with a vesture had received his mark upon their fore dipped in blood : and his name is called, heads, or in their hands; and they lived The Word of God.
and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 14. And the armies which were in hea il 5. But the rest of the dead lived not ven followed him upon white horses, cloth- || again until the thousand years were finish. ed in fine linen, white and clean.
lled. This is the first resurrection, 15. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp || 6. Blessed and holy is he that hath part sword, that with it he should smite the na in the first resurrection : on such the second tions; and he shall rule them with a rod of death hath no power, but they shall be · iron : and he treadeth the wine-press of the priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. I with him a thousand years.
16. And he hath on his vesture and on 7. And when the thousand years are ex. his thigh a name written, KING OF || pired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS: L 8. And shall go out to deceive the na
17. And I saw an angel standing in the tions which are in the four quarters of the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying Il earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them 10
gether to battle: the number of whom is |7. He that overcometh shall inherit all as the sand of the sea.
things; and I will be his God, and he shall 9. And they went up on the breadth of be my son. the earth, and compassed the camp of the 8. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and saints about, and the beloved city: and fire the abominable, and murderers, and whorecame down from God out of heaven, and mongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and devoured them.
| all liars, shall have their part in the lake 10. And the devil that deceived them, which burneth with fire and brimstone: was cast into the lake of fire and brim- | which is the second death.. stone, where the beast and the false pro | 9. And there came unto me one of the phet are, and shall be tormented day and seven angels which had the seven vials full night for ever and ever.
of the seven last plagues, and talked with · 11. And I saw a great white throne, and me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee him that sat on it, from whose face the | the bride, the Lamb's wife. earth and the heaven fled away; and there | 10. And he carried me away in the spirit was found no place for them."
to a great and high mountain, and shewed 12. And I saw the dead, small and great, me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, destand before God: and the books were open scending out of heaven from God, ed: and another book was opened, which 11. Having the glory of God: and her is the book of life: and the dead were judg- light was like unto a stone most precious, ed out of those things which were written even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal ;
in the books, according to their works. | 12. And had a wall great and high, and ' 13. And the sea gave up the dead which had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve were in it; and death and hell delivered up angels, and names written thereon, which the dead which were in them: and they were are the names of the twelve tribes of the judged every man according to their works. children of Israel :
14. And death and hell were cast into 13. On the east three gates; on the north the lake of fire. This is the second death. three gates; on the south three gates; and
15. And whosoever was not found writ on the west three gates. ten in the book of life was cast into the 14. And the wall of the city had twelve lake of fire.
foundations, and in them the names of the CHAP. XXI.
twelve apostles of the Lamb. 1 A ner heaven and a new earth. 3 The blessedness of |
15. And he that talked with me had a God's people. 8 The judgment of the wicked. 10 A golden reed to measure the city, and the description of the heavenly Jerusalem.
gates thereof, and the wall thereof. 1. AND I saw a new heaven and a new 16. And the city lieth four-square, and
A earth: for the first heaven and the the length is as large as the breadth : and first earth were passed away; and there he measured the city with the reed, twelve was no more sea.
thousand furlongs. The length, and the 2. And I John saw the holy city, new Jeru- | breadth, and the height of it are equal. salem,coming down from God out of heaven, 17. And he measured the wall thereof, a prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. | hundred and forty and four cubits, according
3. And I heard a great voice out of hea- to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel. ven, saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God 18. And the building of the wall of it is with men, and he will dwell with them, was of jasper; and the city was pure gold, and they shall be his people, and God him- || like unto clear glass. : self shall be with them, and be their God. | 19. And the foundations of the wall of
4. And God shall wipe away all tears the city were garnished with all manner of from their eyes; and there shall be no precious stones. The first foundation was
|| jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a neither shall there be any more pain: for chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald ; the former things are passed away.
20. The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius, 5. And he that sat upon the throne said, the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the Behold, I make all things new. And he ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the said unto me, Write: for these words are eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst. true and faithful.
21. And the twelve gates were twelve 6. And he said unto me, It is done. I am pearls ; every several gate was of one pearl; Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the and the street of the city was pure gold, as end I will give unto him that is athirst, it were transparent glass. of the fountain of the water of life freely. 22. And I saw no temple therein : for