« PreviousContinue »
MeteoROLOGICAL Table, extracted from the Register kept at Edinburgh, in
the Observatory, Calton-hill. N.B.--The Observations are made twice every day, at nine o'clock, forenoon, and four o'clock, afterThe second Observation in the afternoon, in the first column, is taken by the Register
21 S M.28
.543 A, 36 N.W.
M.36 29.340 M.45)
S.W. Heavy rain.
Fair, cold, &
showery. M.32 .497 M.42
Fair, rain &
Rain & sleet. M.31 .506 M.40
Rain fore. & .740 A. 405
29.106 A. 46
fair aftern. M.35 .999 M.40 E.
.580 M.41 A. 39
Frost morn. Showery .904 A. 39 )
fair day. M.32 .998 M.38
Mild, sleet &
frost aftern. M.30 .999 M.37) Dull, shrs.
M.25 28.988 M.34
N.W. .958 A. 32
hail. M.295 .998 M.36) Dl. shrs. slt.
.997 M.31 24
A. 28 29.106 A. 34 ) snow on gr. M.20 29.840 M.32
.148 A. 29
Keen frost. A.33 .590 A. 50 $ Cole. Ditto.
.445 A. 29 S mild aftern. M.25 .541 M.31
Hail & snow,
.546 A.30 S with frost. M.213 .583 M.32
Keen frost, .189 A.32
.156 A. 29
snow night. M.24 28.999 M.35 Keen frost,
Snow on grd A. 33 .918 A. 33
.120 A.30 S rather fresh, M.21 .995 M.31
M.17 28.995 M.28)
Fair all day, snow night.
A. 24 .999 A, 28 snow on grd.
Average of Rain, 2.931 inches.
APPOINTMENTS, PROMOTIONS, &c.
I. CIVIL. His Royal Highness the Prince Regent, has been His Royal Higness the Prince Regent, has also pleased, in the name and on behalf of his Majesty, been pleased, to appoint Robert Graham, Esq. to appoint Dr William Pultney Alison, Professor M.D. to be Regius Professor of Botany in the of Medical Jurisprudence and Medical Police in the University of Edinburgh, vacant by the death of University of Edinburgh, in the room of Andrew Dr Rutherford. Duncan, junior, Esq. resigned.
Superannuated Commanders. Richard Beaumont
Thomas Woods Henry Shiffner
Thomas Eyre Hinton
Hon. William Keith
Francis D. Hastings
Frederick Aug. Wilkinson Robert Malcom
Purser.-Wm. Henry Bond
Wm. Aug. Montagu
Charles S. Jackson
Royal Marines. Capt. Robert Clarke 1st Lt. N. Philips
W. S. Knapman
George O'Neil 20 Lts. James K. Wilson
G. A. Campbell
November 24. At Trinity Cottage, the lady of
27. At London, the lady of Henry Brougham, Esq. of Brougham, M. P. a daughter.
28. At Shandwick-place, Edinburgh, Mrs Miller of Glenlee, a son.
29. At Wellshot, the lady of Captain William Stirling, a son.
December 1. In Heriot-row, Edinburgh, the lady of Edward Douglas, Esq. a son.
- At Bologne, the lady of Lieutenant-Colonel Maclachlan, a son.
2. At the Hague, the Countess of Athlone, a daughter.
3. In George's-square, Edinburgh, Mrs W. Mitchell, a daughter.
- The lady of William Hay, Esq. of Drummelzier, a son and heir.
4. At Newington, Edinburgh, Mrs Blackwood, a son. 5. The lady of M. A. Fletcher, Esq. advocate,
11. At Edinburgh Castle, the lady of Captain Cargill, 7 1th regiment, a daughter.
Mrs Abercromby, 19, York-place, a daughter. 12. At Edinburgh, Mrs Laing Meason of Lindertis, a son.
- At Clifford, Essex, the lady of LieutenantColonel Allan, a daughter.
15. At Balbegno Castle, the lady of Captain Ramsay, a daughter.
14. At Edinburgh, Mrs W. Anderson, No 12, Brown's-square, a daughter.
15. Mrs James Campbell, Northumberland-street Edinburgh, a daughter.
- At Dunsmane, the lady of J. M. Nairne, Esq. a daughter.
At Leith, Mrs Smith, Water-lane, a son. 16. Mrs Waugh, Minto-street, Newington, a son.
17. At the Mount, near Harrow, the lady of Archibald Campbell, Esq. a son.
19. At Merchiston Castle, Mrs Fordyce of Ayton,
20. Mrs Colonel Munro, George's-square, Edinburgh, a son.
Mrs Ivory, Prince's-street, Edinburgh, a son 21. In Great Russel street, London, the lady of James Loch, Esq. a son.
23. Lady Mackenzie of Coul, a son.
- At Edinburgh, Mrs Hagart of Bantaskine, a daughter.
28. At Edinburgh, Miss Ann Watson, youngest July 20. At Madras, Peter Cleghorn, Esq. Bar- daughter of the late Dr Watson, Principal of the rister-at-Law, to Isabella, daughter of the late Tho- United College of St Andrews. mas Allan, Esq. merchant in Leith.
At his house, Heriot Hill, Alexander KinNov. 26. At Edinburgh, Mr James Winks, Pitt- near, Esq, banker in Edinburgh. street, to Elizabeth, daughter of the late Mr John At Kelso, Mrs Margaret Robertson, relict of Brodie, farmer, Coathill, Berwickshire.
Andrew Robertson, Esq. of Calcutta. 29. At Glasgow, Mr J. Gilchrist, surgeon, to 29. At Leith, Agnes Paterson, wife of Mr Robert Eliza, only child of the late William Rymer of Strong, jun. merchant. Tortola.
- At Dundee, Mr W. C. Pitcairn, merchant. 30. At Springfield, Captain Robert Scott, Hon. Mary, and on the 7th December, John and East India Company's service, to Mrs Rolland of Isabella, children of Mrs Kinnimont, at Cotton of Auchmithie.
Redcastle, Inverkeillor, all of the scarlet fever. - At Glasgow, Mr John M'K: Wardrop, mer- - At the Manse of Latheron, the Rev. Robert chant, to Jane, daughter of the late Adam Light. Gun, minister of that parish, in the 70th year of body, Esq. of Hurlet.
his age, and 44th of his ministry. Dec. 6. At Gosport, Lieutenant W. C. Clarke, of 30. At Edinburgh, Mrs Cowan, senior, widow of the rifle-brigade, to Mary Gavin, fourth daughter Charles Cowan, Esq. merchant in Edinburgh. of the late Lieutenant-Colonel M Lean.
December 1. At' Manley, Devonshire, Henry! 14. At Greenock, Mr John M'Kinlay, writer, Manley, Esq. of Manley. Stirling, to Eliza, eldest daughter of Mr William 6. At Aberdeen, Peter Gordon, Esq. of AberBaird, shipmaster.
geldie, aged 68. 16. At Glasgow, Major M Gregor, of the 58th re- 7. At Montrose, Alexander Craigie, seaman, in giment, to Spens Stuart, daughter of Robert Col. the 93d year of his age. lier, Esq. Barrack-master of Glasgow,
9. At Bath, James Ker of Blackshiells, Esq. - At Glasgow, Captain D. Campbell, of the 11. At Arbroath, after a short illness, Captain late 94th regiment, to Agnes, youngest daughter of
David L. Cargill, of the Romulus. the late A. Pollock, of Whitehall, Esq.
At Acton House, Middlesex, John Dalzell 17. In St Paul's Chapel, York-place, Colonel Douglas, youngest son of Henry Alexander DouFarquharson, to Rebecca, fourth daughter of the glas, Esq. late Sir George Colquhoun of Tillycolquhoun, Bart. 13. Ai No 1, Great King-street, Edinburgh, Mr - At Meadow-place, Mr James Scott, tobacco
William Pringle, assistant-surgeon, royal navy, nist, Hawick, to Margaret, daughter of Mr James only son of Mr T. Pringle, builder. Oliver, merchant, there.
At Dundee, John Guild, Esq. in the 77th 19. At Senwick, near Kirkcudbright, the house year of his age, late Provost of that burgh. of Sir John Gordon, Bart. Major-General Riall, At Dumfries, William Heron, Esq. of Dungovernor of Grenada, to Eliza, eldest daughter of the late James Scarlett, Esq. junior, of Peru, in
14. At Kelso, Elizabeth, second daughter of the the island of Jamaica.
late Stephen Bromfield, Esq. of Hassington Mains, 23. At Bellwood, Andrew Forbes Ramsay, Esq.
and sister of Colonel Broomfield. surgeon in the Honourable East India Company's 15. At Kinsale, at an advanced age, Lady Kin. service, Bengal establishment, to Isabella, fourth sale. daughter of the late John Young, Esq. of Bellwood. At Bath, aged 90, Mrs Cradock, relict of
Lately, At Laurieston-place, Edinburgh, William Dr Cradock, late Archbishop of Dubliv, and mo Gordon, Esq. of Ivie, to Miss Christina, daughter
ther of Lord Howden. of Mr George Murray, merchant.
16. At Spoutwells, James Buchan, Esq. late of
At his house, 118, Prince's-street, Edinburgh, April 16. In Calcutta, James Wade, Esq.
Robert Fullarton, Esq. June 11. At Cointadam, Col. Charles Trotter, 17. At his house, 14, Hart-street, Edinburgh, commanding at Palamcottah, and the district of James Stuart, Esq. late of the island of Grenada. Tinnevilly, aged 51 years.
At Edinburgh, Mr John Black, writer, late September 24. At' Kingston, Jamaica, Major rector of the Fortrose Academy. Ferrier, 92d regiment.
18. At Edinburgh, Miss Christian Rutherford, Oct. 11. Near Three Rivers, Canada, John youngest daughter of the deceased Dr John RuCampbell, Esq. late of Auchinwillin.
therford, Professor of Materia Medica in the Uni23. Of a fever, at Gibsonport, on the Missis- versity of Edinburgh. sippi, Mr Simon Fraser, son of the late Alexander 19. At Wigton, David Tweddale, aged 17, son Fraser, Esq. sheriff-clerk of Haddingtonshire. of James Tweddale, Collector of the Customs.
Nov. 11. At Ruchill, Mrs Maclean, wife of Hugh At St Andrews, the Rev. Principal Hill.
20. At his house, Lauriston-place, Mr John 14. At West Bendochy, Perthshire, George Play
Martin, of the Chancery Office, Edinburgh. fair, Esq. of Galry.
21. At Lauriston-place, in the 7th year of his At Aberdeen, Henry, fifth son, and on the age, Alexander John, only son of John Cameron, 23d, Alexander, fourth son of Alexander Fouler- hat-manufacturer in Edinburgh. ton, Esq.
22. At Edinburgh, Mrs Alice Plenderleath, re21. At Barrochan, Malcolm Fleming, Esq. of lict of the late James Grant, Esq. merchant in Barrochan.
Edinburgh. 24. At Kidderminster, John Steed, Esq. Leith Lately, At her seat, Charlton House, near MalWalk.
mesbury, aged 82, the Countess of Suffolk. - At Lower, Patrick Carnegy, Esq. of Lower.
At Crail, William Macdonald Fowler, Esq. James Thomson, Esq. of Parkhouse, near writer in Edinburgh. Falkirk.
- At Montrose, Miss Margaret Choplin, daugh25. At Falkirk, aged 74, Mr James Bathgate, ter of the Rev. Mr Choplin of Kinnell. son of the late Rev. James Bathgate, minister of At her house in Castle-street, Edinburgh, Mrs Dalgetty.
Mure, widow of the late William Mure, Esq. of 27. At Preston, Linlithgowshire, Archibald Sea. Caldwell, one of the Barons of his Majesty's Exton, third son of Dr Seaton, aged nine years. chequer in Scotland.
At Greenock, Mr Peter Christie, sen. late of At Chichester, Vice-Admiral Thomas Sur, the Excise, Anstruther, in the 82d year of his age. ridge, aged 72.
Oliver & Boyd, Printers, Edinburgh
Horæ Hispanicæ.Nol. The Moorish
487 Zara's Ear-rings
ib. Ganzul's Bullfightmare
488 The Lamentation for Celin -490
The Flight from Granada.... -491 Second Letter from a Liberal Whigan 492 Particulars of the Death of Messieurs
Cinq-Mars and De Thou, at Lyons
a Citizen of Lyonscommon Leslie versus Hebrew.
-501 A Recollection...
-504 To Thomas Campbell, Esq.mamnonano ib. Abstract of Meteorological Observations for 1819
1505 Barlow on Magnetic Attractionscammmm.507 Recollections. No II. Mark Macra. bin, the Cameroniancamana
513 Musings Sabbath Noon.co The Aurora Borealis.--A Sonnetcomminam 524
Greece. A Sonnetan. wanaamw524 Horæ Germanicæ.-No IV.—The Cy
press Crown; a Tale. By the Baroness
Caroline de la Motte Fouquêmmmm.525 Hodgskin's Travels in Germanymummiw.536 There is Death in the Pot. Accum's Treatise on the Adulteration of Food,
542 On the Writings of Charles Brockden
Brown and Washington Irving.comanosom554 On the Proposed · Monument for Lord Melville
mmmmw 562 Horæ Scoticæ.No I. The Bondspiel
of Closeburn and Lochmaben..ramaciam568 THE LATE KING ...
-574 LITERARY AND SCIENTIFIC INTELLIGENCE
naman 579 WORKS PREPARING for PUBLICATION 584 MONTHLY LIST OF NEW PUBLICATIONS
www.586 MONTHLY REGISTER. Commercial Report
589 Meteorological Report
603 Appointments, Promotions, &commcom...605 Births, Marriages, and Deathsommasomon 606
mamma 522 manmaram 523
WILLIAM BLACKWOOD, NO 17, PRINCE'S STREET, EDINBURGII ;
To whom Communications (post paid) may be addressed.
[OLIVER & BOYD, Printers, Edinburgh.]