« PreviousContinue »
4. Find, correct to the nearest penny, the compound interest on £4360 for three years at 31 per cent. per annum.
: 5. By selling goods at £240 a merchant gains 25 per cent. : how much would he have gained per cent. if he had sold them for £216 ?
6. Find the rent of 540 acres 2 roods 25 poles at £1. 168. 8d. per acre.
7. (1) Divide the product of 999999 and 391 by the continued product of 23, 7, 37, 17, 13.
(2) Find the L. C. M. of 1836, 1632, 1728. 8. Find the square root of 676.208016.
9. If 8 men or 17 boys can do a piece of work in 91 hours, how long will it take 4 men with 24 boys to do a piece of work 5 times as great ?
10. A man invested £869. 58. in a three per cent. stock and obtained therefrom an income of £28. 108. : at what price did he purchase the stock ?
VI. HILARY TERM, 1903.
4965 per cent. Da candidates in cwt. que nos
1. Add together of 178. 104d., 4 of 13 guineas, and ti of 28. 3 d.: and reduce 38. 6d. to the decimal of a guinea.
2. Given that a cubic foot of water weighs 1000 oz., find the weight of a cubic yard in cwt. qrs. Ib. and oz.
3. There are 480 candidates for an examination. Of these 65 per cent. pass : find the number of those who fail.
4. A man dies and leaves £6750 to be divided between his three sons in the proportion of 11 :9:7. How much does each receive ?
21-12 5. Express as a decimal
2} + 1 and as a vulgar fraction in its lowest terms •14583.
6. If 7 men working 5 hours a day do a piece of work in 4 days, how long will 10 men take to do the same if they work 4 hours a day ? :
7. If land is let at 188. 6d. an acre, find the rent of half a square mile.
8. Find the square root of 66487716.
9. Find to the nearest penny the Compound Interest on £137. 58. for 21 years at 3 per cent. per annum.
10. One tap will fill a bath in 71 minutes, and another in 5 minutes. How long will they take to fill it when both are running together ?
11. If I derive an annual income of £45. 78. 6d. from 3 per cent. stock, how much stock do I hold ?
If I sell out at 91 and invest the proceeds in 33 per cent. stock at 112, what is my new income ?
VII. TRINITY TERM, 1903.
1. Find the L. C. M. of 24, 77, 126, 231, 44 ; and the G. C. M. of 2685592 and 2252925.
2. Divide .04 by :069930.
3. How many minutes have elapsed this year up to 9.30 a.m. this morning (June 30) ? 4. Arrange in order of magnitude the fractions
fi, ir ji, ki, and subtract their sum from 2.
5. Reduce 10000 grains to lb., oz., dwt., and gr. 6. Find the square root of 3 to four decimal places.
7. At what time between 6 and 7 o'clock are the hands of a clock together?
8. Find the value of 1 ton 6 cwt. 3 qrs. 15 lb. 12 oz. at £2. 138. 4d. a cwt.
9. Find the present value of £828. 148. 3d. due 21 years hence at 5 per cent. per annum, compound interest.
10. If a train travels 30 miles in an hour, express its rate in feet per second.
A bicycle wheel, 28 inches high, revolves three times in a second. Find the rate in miles per hour at which it is travelling, assuming that the circumference of any circle is 31 times the diameter.
11. If I invest £1779. 08. 8d. in 32 per cent. stock at 106, what is my income?
What advantage do I derive by a deduction of 4d. in the pound from the income tax ?
Places the vah27 7.05
VIII. SEPTEMBER, 1903. 1. Simplify 1. Simphty
4 – of 11+34 + 2 of 7-06 – 6.083
1+(21-14) + 3°
1 1 1 1 1 1
z + 62 + 53 +54 + 6 + 65° 2. How many times is £113. 88. 9d. contained in £1247. 168. 3d. ?
3. Find the G. C. M. of 5348889 and 3114043. 4. Find the square root of .000010316944.
5. If £i is equivalent to 25.50 francs, a dollar to 48. 2d., and a rouble to 3.40 francs, find the exact ratio of a rouble to a dollar.
6. A number of men are drawn up in a hollow square four deep with 40 in the front rank. They are then rearranged in a solid square. Find the number of men now in the front rank.
7. If A can heat B by 16 yards in a mile race, and C can beat A by 110 yards, by how much can C beat B?
8. I buy eggs at 14 for a shilling, and sell them at 68. 6d. a hundred. What is my gain or loss per cent. ?
9. Find the Compound Interest on £195. 68. 3d. for 21 years at 4 per cent. per annum.
10. Find the value of 30 acres 3 roods 25 poles 2 sq. yds. 7 sq. ft. 108 sq. in. at id. a square foot.
IX. MICHAELMAS TERM, 1903. 1. Find the value of
2,23 – 1ģ of 10s. 91d.- of 18.
Hi of 58. 6d. + z2_ji
2. Multiply .oi by .00i, and divide .00001 by .0025, expressing the result in each case as a decimal.
3. Find the L. C. M, of 693, 825, 1764, and 1960: and the G. C. M. of 161987 and 324291.
4. In what time will £2396. 138. 4d. amount to £2825. 1s. 5d. at 32 per cent. Simple Interest ?
5. Simplify: (1) .002083 of a lb. Troy ;
138600 6. If I buy a number of eggs at a penny each, and sell half of them at 2 for 3d. and the rest at 3 for 2d.; find my gain or loss per cent.
7. If a cubic foot of water weighs 1000 oz., find the weight of water 9 inches deep on fields covering an area of 31 square miles.
8. I invest £480 in railway shares, and find that if I were to sell out at 1094, I should realize £486. 138. 4d. Find the price I paid for them,
Also if I derive the same income from these shares as I would by investing £768 in 21 per cent. Consols at the same price, find what dividend the railway is paying. :.9. Find the square root of 116944. Prove your result.
10. If 7 quarters 2 bushels of wheat cost £9. 88. 6d., find the cost of 11 quarters 3 bushels 2 pecks.
11. If a man does twice as much work in a day as a boy, and 4 men and 7 boys take 8 days to finish a piece of work, working 7 hours a day; find how long 6 men and 8 boys, working 6 hours a day, will take to do the same amount.
much of the Railways, and invest
2. Find the G. C. M. of 71526 and 94451, and the L. C. M. of 8, 20, 26, 91, 105.
3. Multiply ·862 by 96.366, and divide 1.25 by .005. 4. Find the square root of 3323329, and of 18227.7001.
5. Reduce 3 cwt. 2 qrs. 3 lb. 8 oz. to the decimal of a ton.
6. Find the cost of papering a room 21 ft. long, 171 ft. wide, and 11 ft. high, with a 10-in. cornice and 14-in, skirting board, neither of which requires papering. The paper is 21 in. wide, and cost 6d. a yard, and 9d. is charged for hanging each piece of 12 yards.
7. If I sell £4000, 21 | Consols at 8818, and invest the proceeds in Great Central Railway 5%. Preference Stock at 125, how much of the latter stock do I obtain, and what difference does it make in my income? The cost of each transaction is included in the price.
8. The fore and hind wheels of a coach are respectively 11 ft. and 13. in circumference. In 9 miles how many more revolutions will a fore wheel make than a hind wheel ?
9. I take a building lease of 12 acres of ground at £18 an acre ground rent, and build on it 24 similar houses, at a cost of £60000. What must be the rent of each house to give me 6% on my outlay?
10. I blend 600 gallons of malt whisky, worth 38. a gallon, with 360 gallons of grain spirit at 1s. 2d. a gallon, and after 3 years sell the blend at 48. a gallon. What is my profit, after charging 5% per annum interest on my outlay?
11. A bankrupt's estate yields for dividend £1543. 158., and his debts are £3250. How much in the £ will the creditors receive, and what will be the loss to a creditor for £123?
XI. TRINITY TERM, 1904.
1. The first number of a paper published every week. day appeared on Tuesday, March i. Find the number of the copy dated Wednesday, June 29, in the same year.