Page images

Alcestis of Euripides; or Homer, Odyssey VI-VIII,

as these are the most useful books.) (2) Three Books of Virgil's Æneid, or Three Books of the

Odes of Horace. (3) Translation from English into Latin. 2\\2\\2\/\/2/2/2/2–2–2ņēmē►ūtiņăòÂÂÂâ mēti ēģētiffi2222/22–2ņētiņ► (5) Arithmetic, including Fractions, Decimals, and Pro

portion. (6) Euclid, Books I and II, or Algebra, the first four Rules,

Fractions, and Simple Equations. In case any person desires to become a student without passing the above examination, he must apply to the Censors, stating the reasons why he wishes to enter the University, the course of studies he proposes to follow, and the subject or subjects in which he offers himself for examination. If his statement satisfies the Delegacy, he will be excused the above ordinary examination.

Each candidate must forward to the Censors, at the Old Clarendon Building, Broad Street, Oxford, at least one week before the day appointed for the examination,

(1) A testimonial of good conduct and character;
(2) A certificate of his parents' or guardians' consent to his

living in lodgings, or of his being of age. When a candidate has satisfied the Delegates in the examination, and has paid the fees specified on p. 184, he is matriculated by the Vice-Chancellor.

§ 3. Matriculation.

When a student has satisfied either of these two sets of requirements, he is eligible to be presented to the ViceChancellor for formal enrolment on the Register (Matricula) of the University. This enrolment, which must take place within a fortnight of his being entered on the books of a College or Hall, is called Matriculation. Until it has taken place, a student, although he may be a member of a College or Hall, is not a member of the University.

At the appointed time, which must be within a fortnight after admission as a member of a College or Hall, or in any other capacity, the persons to be matriculated are taken in their proper academical dress to the Vice-Chancellor. They write their names, in Latin, in a Register. They pay the requisite fees. They are then addressed in a short Latin formula by the ViceChancellor, and receive from him a certificate of Matriculation, together with a copy of the Statutes of the University. From this time they enjoy all the privileges of Undergraduate members of the University, and are at the same time amenable to University discipline.

The fees payable to the University on Matriculation are specified on p. 171.

§ 4. Re-admission and Migration.

No person in statu pupillari (i. e. who has not taken the degree of M.A., B.C.L., B.M., or one of the superior degrees) whose name has been removed from the books of a College or Hall, or from the Register of Unattached Students, can be re-admitted to the sarne or any other College or Hall, or migrate to another College or Hall, or become an Unattached Student, except under the following conditions:

1. If his name has been removed in any other way than that of expulsion, he must produce a certificate signed by the Proctors that notice has been received by them of his intention to apply for leave to be re-admitted, or to migrate, together with a written permission and written testimonial of good character from the College or Hall to which he belongs, or last belonged, or from the Censors of Unattached Students. In case of such permission or testimonial being refused, the Chancellor of the University may, if he think fit, grant his consent in writing for such re-admission or migration.

2. If he has been absent from the University for at least one year, the certificate referred to in the preceding paragraph is dispensed with.

3. If he has been expelled by the authorities of a College or Hall, or by the Delegates of Unattached Students, he cannot be re-admitted unless the Chancellor of the University has heard the case, and given his consent in writing for his re-admission.


No member of the University is eligible for any degree in ordinary course (except a degree in Music) until he has resided, under certain conditions, within the limits of the University.

These conditions affect (1) the time, (2) the place of residence.

§ 1. Of the Time of Residence.

The academical year is divided into four Terms: Hilary (or Lent) Term, which begins on January 14 and ends on the day before Palm-Sunday; Easter Term, which begins on the Wednesday in Easter-week and ends on the Friday before WhitSunday ; Trinity (or Act) Term, which begins on the Saturday before Whit-Sunday and ends on the Saturday after the first Tuesday in July; and Michaelmas Term, which begins on October 1o and ends on December 17. All residence, to be recognized as such, must take place within the limits of these Terms: but it is so far from being necessary to reside during the whole of these Terms, that, whereas they occupy on the average about thirty-four weeks, the requirements of the University may be satisfied by a residence of eighteen weeks in the year; that is to say, it is sufficient for an Undergraduate to reside for forty-two days (not necessarily consecutive days) in the course of Hilary Term, or for the same length of time in the course of Michaelmas Term, and for twenty-one days in the course of Easter Term, or for the same length of time in the course of Trinity Term. In the case of Hilary and Michaelmas Terms these days of residence must fall wholly within the Term for which residence is counted ; a deficiency of even one day out of the forty-two cannot be compensated for by any amount of residence in another Term. But since Easter and Trinity Terms have been made continuous, a residence of forty-eight days in the two Terms conjointly, in whatever way those days are distributed between the two Terms, is accepted as equivalent to a residence of twenty-one days in each Term separately.

Terms of residence need not be consecutive ; they may, as far as the University is concerned, be distributed over any number of years. Sometimes a break in the regular sequence of Terms of residence is caused by illness; and sometimes also students of limited means reside for one or two Terms only in the course of a year, occupying the remainder of their time in business or tuition. As the same total number of Terms of residence is required from all alike, this latter course postpones the obtaining of a degree: but it should be borne in mind as a possible alternative, by those who, for whatever reason, find continuous residence impossible.

Note.--It is necessary to draw a distinction between Terms of Residence and Terms of Standing. The latter are those Terms during which a member of the University, whether resident or not, has kept his name on the books of a College or Hall, or on the list of Unattached Students, and has paid his terminal fees. The former are those Terms in which, in addition to this, he has resided in the manner and for the length of time mentioned above. In the public Examinations of the University, Terms of Standing, for the degree of B.A., Terms of Residence, are alone taken into account.

These general regulations of the University are supplemented by the regulations of the several Colleges and Halls, and of the Delegates of Unattached Students. As a rule, Undergraduates are required to commence their residence in each Term on a particular day, and to reside for two or three weeks longer than would satisfy the bare requirements of the University. They cannot come or go altogether as they please; and although permission either to commence or to discontinue residence at other than the appointed time is never refused in cases of urgency, yet such permission has to be obtained beforehand from the proper authorities. The day on which the Undergraduate members of each College or Hall are expected to commence residence is usually notified in the University Gazette.

As a rule, residence in vacations is discouraged, and sometimes prohibited: but in the Easter Vacation, and during the last four or five weeks of the Long Vacation, permission to reside is not unfrequently given to those who intend to become candidates for one of the ensuing University Examinations. Residence without permission, whether in college or in lodgings, is a punishable offence.

§ 2. Of the Place of Residence.

1. REGULATIONS OF THE UNIVERSITY. An Undergraduate must reside not only within the limits of the University, but also in one of the recognized places of residence; that is to say, he must reside either(1) Within the gates of a College or Hall (public or private),

or of one of their annexed buildings : (2) Or in lodgings which have been licensed by, and which

are under the supervision of, the Delegates of Lodging

houses. (3) Or, under special circumstances, at the discretion of the

Delegates, in an unlicensed house. For residence in a College or Hall no other consent is necessary than that of the authorities of the College or Hall, but in the two other cases, an Undergraduate, of whatever standing, must obtain the permission of the Delegates of Lodging-houses. If he takes up his residence, even in licensed lodgings, without such permission, he forfeits the privileges of the University for the time during which such residence continues; and if he persists in such residence after having been cautioned by the Delegates, he is rusticated by the Vice-Chancellor.

The necessary permission is given under the following conditions:

(1) Undergraduates, whether they are or are not attached to a College or Hall, must have the consent of their parents or guardians, unless (a) they are twenty-one years of age, (b) or have resided twelve Terms within the University ; in either of which cases such consent is dispensed with.

(2) Undergraduates who are members of a College or Hall must have the consent of their College or Hall.

The consent both of the parents or guardians, and of the College or Hall, must be signified to the Delegates by the Head of the College or Hall, and must be accompanied by a certificate of good character.

Practically, an Undergraduate has but little difficulty in the matter. A licence to keep lodgings is never refused to any

« PreviousContinue »