Page images

Campbell's trial came on in Edinburgh before the High Court, February 26, 1770-the Lord Justice-Clerk presiding. Certain technical objections had previously been taken to the libel, but its relevancy was supported by all the Judges, who, however, allowed the panel full liberty to prove any facts in exculpation or which might alleviate his guilt. The evidence presented to the Court by the Crown Prosecutor was in substance according to the facts mentioned above. The only statements of any importance made in defence were that the Earl was hasty, threatening, and angry, none of which were proved. The jury, by a majority, returned a verdict of guilty, and Campbell was sentenced to be executed, 11th April-a doom which he avoided by hanging himself in prison on the evening of conviction.

Alexander, tenth Earl of Eglinton, was succeeded by his brother Archibald, a military officer of considerable repute, and M.P. for Ayr county, 1761-68. As tending to modify the grief caused by the great calamity which overshadowed the house of Eglinton, it is pleasant to remember that the mother of the two young Earls, the Countess Susannah mentioned above, was spared, with what was thought almost increasing attraction, till 1780, when she died in the house of Auchans at the great age of 91. Late in life she was visited by Dr. Johnson on his return from the Hebrides, when it came out in conversation that she was married the year before he was born, upon which she pleasantly said to him that she might have been his mother, and that she now adopted him. When we were going away (Boswell records), the Countess embraced him, saying, "My dear son, farewell." "My friend (continues Boswell) was much pleased with this day's entertainment (November 1, 1773), and owned that I had done well to force him out."

An interesting Memorial of the tragedy on Ardrossan Sands still exists in the form of a gold finger ring, presented by the dying Earl to Andrew Wilson, Fiscal of his Barony Court of Beith, and land-steward for that portion of the Eglinton property. Mr. Wilson accompanied his lordship on the fatal day, was present at the encounter, and so became naturally one of the chief witnesses relied on by the Crown, to secure a conviction against Campbell. After the Earl was shot, Mr. Wilson assisted him home to Eglinton Castle, and remained there till he died. Shortly before the end came, the Earl asked Mr. Wilson if he would like to have anything from him as a keepsake. Mr. Wilson replied, that he would prize very highly any little reminder of his lordship, on which the Earl took off a ring from his finger, and put it on Mr. Wilson's finger, asking him to wear it for his sake. This ring is now in the possession of a great-grand-son of Mr. Wilson's, and owing to its interesting history has been handed down as an heirloom in the family. Mr. Wilson gave it to his daughter, Janet, who married Robert Faulds, Banker, Beith, from whom it came to their only son, James Faulds, Writer and Banker, Beith, who gave it to his son, Andrew Wilson Faulds, and in whose possession it now is.


HAD no "Talisman" ever cast the glow of romance over the House of Lockhart, the family, in any other country than Scotland would have been held noble, dating back, as it does at the least, to that Sir Simon of the name knighted by William the Lion, and who held under Walter the Stewart of Scotland the lands in two counties, now known as Symington of Kyle and Symington of Lanarkshire. The cradle of the race, so far as known to history, would appear to have been the east side of the Upper Ward, the Lanarkshire Symington, abutting close on the county of Peebles. Carnwath acquired from the Somervilles, Lords of Carnwath, in comparatively recent times, is so far north on the same side of the county as to be divided from Dunsyre by the southern range of the Pentland Hills. Lee, again, the present delightful seat of the family, is almost in the centre of Lanarkshire, being only three miles from the county town, and two from those Cartland Crags bridged over by the genius of Telford.

In 1329, the young Sir Simon of his day accompanied Sir James Douglas in his expedition to the Holy Land with the heart of Bruce, and, undeterred by the loss of the precious relic in a conflict with the Moors near Tebas, Andalusia, continued his journey eastward, but added then, it is recorded, a heart to the original armorial padlock on his banner, with the motto still used, "Corda serata pando"-"I lay open locked hearts." It is this Sir Simon whom tradition identifies as the Lockhart who brought home from Palestine the famous charm known afterwards as the " Lee-penny," and used with such dramatic effect by Scott in his novel of "The Talisman," generally acknowledged as the best of his Crusader tales. What is historical in the tradition may not be of surpassing accuracy, but it is at least interesting, and is briefly set forth by the great novelist in the introduction to his story. Fighting as a soldier of the Cross, Sir Simon Lockhart had on one occasion taken prisoner an Emir of considerable wealth and consequence. The aged mother of the captive

came to the Christian camp to redeem her son from his state of captivity. Lockhart is said to have fixed the price at which his prisoner should ransom himself; and the lady, pulling out a large embroidered purse, proceeded to tell down the ransom like a mother who pays little respect for gold in comparison of her son's liberty. In this operation, a pebble inserted in a coin, some say of the Lower Empire, fell out of the purse, and the Saracen matron testified so much haste to recover it as gave the Scottish knight a high idea of its value, when compared with gold or silver. "I will not consent," he said, "to grant your son's liberty unless that amulet be added to his ransom." The lady not only consented to this, but explained to Sir Simon the mode in which the talisman was to be used, and the uses to which it might be put. The water in which it was dipped operated as a styptic, as a febrifuge, and possessed several other properties as a medical talisman.

Sir Simon Lockhart, after much experience of the wonders which the charm wrought, brought it to his own country, and left it to heirs, by whom, and by Clydesdale in general, it was, and is still, distinguished as the Lee-penny, from the name of his native seat of Lee. The most remarkable part of its history, perhaps, was that it so especially escaped condemnation when the Church of Scotland chose to impeach many other cures which savoured of the miraculous, as occasioned by sorcery and censured the appeal to them, "excepting only that to the amulet, called the Lee-penny, to which it had pleased God to annex certain healing virtues which the Church did not presume to condemn." The efficacy of the charm is said to have been tested with fair success even during the present century, but the risk of injury or loss, when out of proper custody, was so great that the "Talisman" was dipped in water at home, the water being sent out in bottles to patients or others who desired to test its power.

Sir James Lockhart of Lee, the sixth in descent from the above Sir Simon, and son of Allan, slain at Pinkie, became in 1630 one of the Commissioners of Estates for the county of Lanark, and in 1645 a Commissioner of Exchequer. The following year he was made a Lord of Session, succeeding on the Bench that Sir

Alexander Gibson, Lord Durie, deceased, who was scarcely better known in his day from a ponderous volume of "Decisions," than for having been kidnapped by a daring moss-trooper known as Willie Armstrong, or "Christie's Will," and carried off to a lonely "peel" or fortress in Annandale, where he was kept in confinement till my Lord Traquair, Lord High Treasurer, had got some law case in which he was concerned settled after his own mind. After taking part in the exploit known as the "Engagement" to relieve King Charles from captivity in England, Lord Lee was himself taken prisoner at Alyth, August 1651, shipped off to England, and confined for years in the Tower, till relief came through the intercession of his eldest son, Sir William Lockhart, Governor of Dunkirk, and otherwise prominent as a diplomatist during the Commonwealth. Mazarine is said to have offered him the baton of a marshal of France if he would favour the plans of Louis XIV. regarding the cession of Dunkirk and Mardyke. Lord Lee's second son was that distinguished lawyer, Sir George Lockhart, President of the Court of Session, shot on Sunday, March 31, 1689, in a close off High Street leading to his own residence, by John Chiesley, of Dalry, in consequence of having given a decision in favour of Chiesley's wife as one of the arbiters in a suit for aliment. Chiesley, known in his day as a regardless ruffian, was first put to the torture by warrant of the Estates, and, confessing the crime, had his right hand struck off the Wednesday following. He was hanged immediately thereafter, and his body hung in chains between Leith and Edinburgh. The Lord President, known as Sir George of Carnwath, purchased that estate from the Earl of Carnwath, to whom it had come from the Somervilles through the Mar and Buchan families. The eldest son of the Lord President, also a George, known from his intrigues with the Jacobites as "Union Lockhart," acted as a sort of confidential agent between the Pretender and his Scottish adherents. Exiled to Holland for a brief period, he was permitted, in 1728, to return to Carnwath, where he lived unmolested till 1732, when he was unfortunately killed in a duel. George Lockhart wrote "Memoirs of Scotland, from the Accession of Queen Anne till the Union," published, but without his consent, in 1714; and left behind him "Papers on the

Affairs of Scotland, 1720-25," printed 1817. A younger brother, Philip, shot as a rebel at Preston, was father of Alexander of Craighouse, raised to the Bench under the title of Lord Covington. Carnwath, since 1639, has given the title of Earl to the family of Dalzell of Dalzell, presently represented by Henry Burrard Dalzell, eleventh in descent from Sir Robert, first Earl.

From Lord Lee the family succession was carried on by Sir William Lockhart, whose second wife, Robina Shouster, was niece by her mother of Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector. Cromwell Lockhart, their eldest son, succeeded to Lee, but, failing issue, the estate reverted for the third time to a brother, James, on the death of whose son, John, the succession opened up to Count Lockhart Wishart. After him came another George of Carnwath, a strong partisan of the House of Stuart-James, who added the name of Wishart to his own, and became a Count of the Holy Roman Empire. A younger brother, Charles, married Elizabeth, only child of John Macdonald of Largie, and from them descends the present representative of the Lee and Carnwath Lockharts. On the death of John Lockhart, last of Lee, in 1777, James succeeded to that estate; but his son, Charles, dying in 18:2 without issue, the foreign honours of the family became extinct, and the estates of Lee and Carnwath devolved upon his cousin, Alexander Macdonald, eldest surviving son of Charles Lockhart and Elizabeth Macdonald of Largie.

On inheriting the estate and representation of the family, Alex. Macdonald resumed the name of Lockhart, and was created a baronet of Great Britain, 24th May, 1806. With two daughters, he had three sons-namely, Sir Charles, second baronet; Sir Norman, third baronet; and Alexander, M.P. for Lanarkshire from 1837 to 1841. The eldest son, Sir Charles Macdonald Lockhart, married Emilia Olivia, daughter of Sir Charles Ross, sixth baronet of Balnagown, and had two daughters. On his death, 8th December, 1832, he was succeeded by his brother, Sir Norman Macdonald Lockhart, who died in 1849, when his son, Sir Norman Macdonald Lockhart, born 1845, became the fourth baronet. Sir Norman died 1870, and was succeeded by his brother, the present Sir Simon Macdonald Lockhart, fifth baronet, born 1849. Lee House, greatly enlarged and improved in 1822 from

« PreviousContinue »