« PreviousContinue »
FIRST EDITION, 1893 Reprinted with additions and corrections, 1897, 1902, 1905,
1909, 1911, 1914, 1920
OCT 31 1930
It is hoped that the present volume will be found within its limits a fairly representative selection of original documents for the use of students. Attention has been directed, not only to the general course of events, but to the history of the New Testament Canon, and to the personal opinions of conspicuous writers. It has been thought best to give a translation for the benefit of such as are but mean scholars, and in the second edition a few introductory notes were given.
My best thanks are due to the Trustees of the Lightfoot Fund, to Mr. Parker, of Oxford, and to Messrs. T. and T. Clark, of Edinburgh, for the use of translations mentioned below l; also to Dr. Zahn, of Erlangen, for the Latin text of the Canon Muratorianus, and to Professor (now Dean) Robinson for the Greek text of certain passages?, for certain translations, and for much help in many directions.
| Translations marked L. are due to Lightfoot's Apostolic Fathers; R. to Dean Robinson; N.L. to the Library of Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers; A.N.L. to the Ante-Nicene Christian Library.
· These are numbered XXI a, XLVIII, XLIX, LI Q, LI b, LII.
2. Opening of Clement's Letter to the Corinthians Clement of Rome
4. Arrangements settled by the Apostles
4a. The Persecution of Domitian
-7. The Christians in the World
8. Church Order of the Didaché
9. Pliny's Correspondence with Trajan
Of the Canon of the New Testament
14. Quadratus on our Lord's Miracles
K 15. Heathenism the work of demons
( 16. Christianity before Christ
18. The Jewish interpretation of Isa. vii. 14 .
19. The Christian interpretation of various passages
Letter of Dionysius of Corinth to the Romans .
The Persecution at Lyons and Vienne
22. Fragment of Muratori on the Canon
25. Letter of Irenaeus to Florinus
26. Letter of Polycrates to Victor
28. The Argument of Irenaeus from Tradition
30. Philosophy a preparation for the Gospel
33. Misuse of Scripture by Heretics
34. Bad Emperors the only Persecutors
39. Philosophy the Mother of Heresy .
40. The Argument of Tertullian from Tradition
41. Disorderly Worship of Heretics
43. Inconveniences of a mixed Marriage
47. Origen's conception of Education
49. The Argument from our Lord's Miracles
50. Celsus on the Lord's Resurrection .
51. The Gospel not specially addressed to Fools .
51a. The true ground of Old Testament Inspiration
516. The parabolic element in Scripture Narratives